- - - - -

New Tortoise Owner

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cat33_*

Guest_cat33_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

Well apart from being pretty annoyed with myself, i'm absolutely chuffed that i've found this site. I can now start to give this fella a decent life

Most people reading this are going to cringe but i want to be honest. On fri i bought a hermann tortoise from the reptile shop. I had a quick look around researching them but obviously not enough. As it turns out this little fella is uk captive bred as it says on the certificate i got with him.
However i did also buy a vivarium. After reading for a good few hours on here my dad is currently knocking me together a table top enclosure for him, but he wont be in it for a few months as i couldnt accomodate it where i'm living now. The glass doors at the front are always open now.
As a very new owner I know i have a lot to learn. I've quickly learnt that his diet is very important but hoping to get as much advice as possible from experienced people on here as i do want him to have the best life possible.
Also slightly concerned that he hasnt pooed yet, he's eatin fine tho and enjoyin his baths.
Thanks for your time and any advice anyone can give will be much appriecated.

#2 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-02-06 AT 11:52 AM (GMT)]Hello Cat Welcome to the forum,
The main thing is you have this little tortoise now so as long as you keep up with the research your doing the right thing.
There are lots of people on here that can help you along the way.
Have you been to the tortoise trust website their is lots of good information on there the website is
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/ you can visit my websites below too, you might get some ideas from them.
I wish you and your tortoise the best of luck!!!

P.s Make sure you give him/her plenty of warm baths for at least 20 min or so and keep changing the water as it gets cold quickly you will see your tortoise pooh soon. This also hydrates them and they appriciate a nice warm bath.:7

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#3 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

don't beat yourself up, just spread the good word, at least he has a good home, so many don't. You will find lots of good advice on here, is he/she a baby ??? if so you can go to b&q and buy some rather suitable smaller plastic storage containers that will take up just as much space as your viv. If he is young beware of over feeding he has to grow at a slow steady pace.

Not sure how to give you the link but go to the other breeds forum and look at blondesarahs -"Spur Thigh Set Up" dated 4/02/06

Dont forget also to give regular nutrabol and calcium powder on the food.

Good luck
Darren

#4 Guest_cat33_*

Guest_cat33_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

Thanks so being so friendly guys, I do feel a little better now i know more about them, really want him/her to have a good healthy life. Never had a pet before but this whole tortoise experience is pretty addictive, I couldn't not get him/her.
Yeah im putting some nutrobal on his food Darren and he/she is nearly 7 months old (really need to give him a name!!!) and Calmity Jane already taken some of your previous advice to someone else on bathing, first time i gave him a bath he put his head under for ages, I left him to it, bit scary but was good to see him enjoying the experience.
Would you advice me getting him a general health check at the vets? Also when would you advice him being wormed?
His shell has white speckles all over, when i asked about this in the reptile place i was told it was from the courier journey, with other tortoises weeing on him, should this take long to clear?
Really looking forward to learning lots and giving him/her a great life, definitely getting a weed book today, tladys site was really helpful.
Thanks again! :)

#5 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

see if you can post a pic,

In my experiance vets can be hit and miss if you have a good one your ok, but a bad one could cost you money do more harm than good.

I do not worm mine for no reason, you should be able to send off a poo sample to your vet who can tell you if he/she has worms.

As for the white dots, is the shell damaged ?? my be if you could get a pic some one could advise you.

Mine chippend his shell last summer and now has white spot where the bone is pushing up to reform the shell, thats nothing to worry about, i would not like to call it if yours is different or have lots.

As fo a name "Lucky" seems its fortunes so far !!

But someone will tell you on here.

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

Cat,
You could take a sample of pooh to your vet and they will check it to see if their are any worms or eggs, Probably be a good idea to take your tortoise too for a once over, I dont know about the white speckles on his shell but it sounds like he has been knocked about a bit on his journey to the pet shop, Unfortunatly Most pet shops if not all of them sell only Imported tortoises or wild caught ones,

I think the pet shop owner is telling porkies as if they where UK bred then then they certainly wouldnt be in this condition,
And its a sad fact that most of these imports suffer greatly and get very dehydrated stuffed in to small crates by the hundreds getting mixed up with different species causing all kinds of diseases and ilness's.x( Then to be sold on in pet shops with all the wrong advice then die within 5 years because of the selfish greed of these people.x(
I would have a carefull look on the certificates to see where they came from.

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#7 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

Yeah I definitely agree. If you bought a tortoise with a certificate that identifies its country of origin as the United Kingdom, then I would either (a) shake you by the hand (if you bought it from a private breeder) or (:) be somewhat suspicious if you told me it came from a reptile store x( .
These reptile / pet stores import tortoises from the Balkans in their thousands, always stacked in crates, and almost always arriving diseased, sick or dehydrated ... and then some phoney passes them off as 'UK Captive bred'. My arse. (Excuse my language).

#8 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:07 PM

Yep Its totally true,
I actually owned my own pet shop and could have had what ever I wanted redfoots pancakes horsefields,hermanns,indian stars leopards so on and so on,
But There was no way I was gonna join them in there horid money making schemes.x(
It makes me sick and all these outlets need shut down they dont have a clue about anything and dont give a second thought of the welfare of all these poor tortoises and are just out to make Money Money Money!!!!!!!x(

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#9 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

Hi cat33.
I`ve only been keeping tortoise`s for 3 months myself and there`s so much to learn. The white spots on the shell sound identical to my tortoise`s shell. If you look on `uk livefoods forum` there is lots of picture of my tortoise Tefa. No one seemed to know what it was but as soon as you said that your tortoise might have been weed on it all made sense to me. I first thought it was calcium deposits but their wee has amonia in so this would make much better sense. How big is your tortoise??
I bought my horsfield from a shop and they said it was 18 months old, i`ve been in touch recently with quite a few horsfield breeders for advice and they`ve all confirmed it`s only 8-10 months. So as you i`m discovering alot of new things aswell. Every day i`m joining new forums and looking at websites, you find you become addicted, lol. But its nice.
Alex.:D ;)

#10 Guest_cat33_*

Guest_cat33_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

Again thanks for the advice. The certificate says orgin UK, and the guy in the shop said they come from a breeder in southampton, i know this could well all be a lie but i do wonder as his mother keeps tortoises (again apparently). He did say that vivariums arent the best and to get him an outdoor setup ready for the summer.I'll get him the once over this week just to make sure he's lookin ok. His/her shell is 4cm long and was born in August 05. Haven't weighed him yet.
Alex have these white speckles cleared up at all? His/her shell doesnt look damaged at all.When the shell is wet these speckles arent visible. I'll get some photo's put on soon, and i'd really appreicate people's comment good and bad.

If you all hadnt put so much info into these forum my tortoise definitely would have been in for a miserable life because i wouldnt have any knowledge, you should all be very proud of yourselves!!!

#11 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

The link Darren was trying to tell you about is the Ikea tubs you can get them here, http://www.ikea.com/...561*16296*15776

A few people have these on this forum and they are great for young hatchlings and while they are only small.
They wouldnt be ideal for grown ups but for short term they are great!;)
Hope this helps a little they are certainly better than vivariums.x(

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#12 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:41 PM

my tort is 50ish, i thought they were the easist pet in the world they sleep all winter so you do not have to feed them or clean them out when its cold, in summer put them in the garden they will live in the flower beds, you throw some lettuce on the lawn once a week and away you go easy low maintnce pet.

I had to learn quickly too, hes doing fine, i have had him 8 years.

Its like having children you never stop fussing over them.

#13 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

Exactly the same as you, when tefa gets wet the shell looks fine but when it dries it has tiny white dots on. No it`s still there. I was tempted to maybe use a toothbrush or something to try and rub them off but i`m going to leave it as my tortoise is only 2 1/2 inches so i`m sure very soon when she grows i won`t notice. It`s very worrying isn`t it as every little thing we panic about. lol.
Does anyone know if onion is safe because i`m in the process of tefa pinching the onion from my butty?

#14 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hi
I got my tub from homebase(should really post sum pictures) and its quite large and on wheels,it only cost 4.Ive planted a pansy in there and he climbs all over it and has a little munch now and again. Glad you found this site,it is very helpful and somebody can usually help with any questions you have.

#15 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

Hi
The white blotching may well be whats left of an I,D mark used by the breeder, i use tipex to I,D my hatchlings , it does ware off in time a gentle scrub with a soft tooth brush and so mild baby soap usually works , make sure the soap doesn't go in the torts eyes though, hi Alex and welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it on here, as for tefa eating onion i will be amazed if he actually eats it tortoises usually avoid strong sented foods
Darren

#16 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

Hi piglet, i finally managed to get on last night. Well guess who`s stuffing their face full of onion. It`s your baby smudge!!
greedy little menace, she`s full of the joys of spring today because i`ve given her a bigger house and new lights so i think she`s in a good mood.
I can`t believe they smelt the onion and came chasing me. I am giving them a little bit of excercise in the bedroom and i`ve been attacked!!!!!!!!LOL. (I don`t mind though, there gorgeous)

#17 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

I am always fussing all the time with my kids my animals My hubby,
But its what us mothers do we can't help.:*

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#18 Guest_cat33_*

Guest_cat33_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:51 PM

Just thought i'd update everyone.

I took piglets advice to the white marks on his/her shell. There is no officially no white marks, it did upset me a little after i'd scrubbed him with a soft toothbrush and a little baby shampoo because he/she didnt quite look the same anymore but definitely a lot healthier looking!!

Also until we can finish of the table, yesterday i took him out of the viv and put him in a tub setup i created after reading all the threads on here. Lets just say we had a very happy, excited little tort!

Also he is now named Toby.

Thanks again everyone!! ;-)

#19 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:16 PM

glad you took him out of the viv,the tubs are a really cheap way of housing torts,glad toby is liking his new home

xx

#20 Guest_cat33_*

Guest_cat33_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

He does seem much happier in it compared to the viv, i did keep the doors on it open most of the time but he was getting stressed out with it, scrapin himself against the door and that. I've put some pansies in for him which he likes but any idea's of what else i could put in there to make it a bit more varied?

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users