- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hello there.
Can anyone tell me why buying a tortoise around 5 years old is better than younger?
Thanks

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

hi tortle gal
Welcome to the forum, now why do you ask this question i don't think it matters what age tortoise you have as long as you follow the correct husbandry guide lines there is no difference in the care of a hatchling to the care of an older animal except space
Darren

#3 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hi Darren.
The reason I ask is that, having looked around at different sites, sellers seem to make the point that the fact the Hermanns are 5 years old is advantageous, as opposed to younger ones.
I'm just starting out, well for my daughter's birthday actually in july! I have ordered two Hermanns and they are being kept until then.

#4 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Kept by the dealer until then? Harsh. :o

#5 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

Is the breeder at Buyatortoise.

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-06 AT 07:19 PM (GMT)]Hi Tortle Gal,
Welcome to the forum,

Its right just as Darren says, There is no difference from what age is best as long as you know what requirements is needed for which certain type of tortoise you get,It is essentail that you do plenty of research, before you buy any tortoises.
You have come to the right place for any advice.:o

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#7 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Are you getting them from Buyatortoise.info, on the net. If so I would definately steer clear of them. The torties will have been imported from Slovinia in the hundreds all mixed together, passing on diseases to each other, the likely hood of them surviving isnt too good, as I found out the beginning of this year. Best getting your torties from a reputable breeder, there are some brill ones on this site.
Good luck with your torties, your daughter will have hours of fun looking after them.

Viv

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

To be honest tortle gal i don't think it matters what age animals you get but if being kept in the same enclosure they need to be roughly the same age as the older may eat quicker than a younger animal so taking all the food, have you got them ordered from abreeder or petshop etc if its a pet shop please be careful as most of there tortoises are brought in from abroad and often are in a very poor state requireing veterinary treatment sorry to put a downer on it but if you read through some of the posts you will get an idea of what i mean but if your getting from a breeder well done and enjoy
Darren

#9 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-06 AT 08:07 PM (GMT)]Buyatortoise? Those guys! They're the best thing since sliced bread! :o I'm done with arguments! All I need now is for someone to say 'what argument?'

#10 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

what arguement

#11 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

ok, now you've got me worried!
I have paid for the tortoises already from http://www.buyatortoise.info

#12 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

The argument over captive bred tortoises imported.

#13 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Tortle gal, i'm sure your tortoises will arrive safe and well, I was making a joke that i'm not going to get involved in any lengthy debates after the Omare debacle. In response to 'what arguement' I say THAT argument.

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

I'm lost here i still don't se any disagreeing on this thread i'm not sure i follow what omare has to do with this thread

#15 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

I was making a private joke after someone re-started the 'Where's Omare?' thread last week, and I got involved in a lengthy argument which resulted in the entire post being locked then deleted.

I heartily disagree with wild caught imports having been stung myself with one that now has RNS, so I was making the joke that i'm not going to get involved with another lengthy debate because each time I open my trap, I end up saying the wrong thing. The message was not aimed at you Piglet, hence your being lost. Never mind eh?

#16 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hi Tortle gal, dont mean to worry you. If you cant cancel the order, when you receive the torties just keep a close eye on them for any problems. I hope they didnt talk you into buying a vivarium to keep them in did they?

Viv

#17 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hi Linda,
The problem is Most of these tortoises are either wild caught or imported in from other counties, Which causes a lot of stress to the tortoises,They come over by the thousands all crammed in small crates and mixed species, which is really bad, and they are very weak and dehydrated from the journey,and also could have diseases.
All these things make them prone to illness straight away and arent very healthy at all,
We need to stop these people from being so cruel and importing tortoises and taking them from the wild.

BUT Saying That I have Had my 2 Tortoises over a year now And I bought them from Buy A Tortoise, They come from slovinea , I can Honistly say I have NEVER EVER had Any problems with my little tortoises, NO illneses whatso ever NO worms Nothing They are fine and dandy. They are really healthy and are Great!!!
I bought them before I really knew about these importation and now I have research more about it I am totally against buying from these oulets, But To Prove Mine are Very very Healthy and as long as you look after them well from the begining I personally dont think you will have any problems what so ever..The welfare of these little tortoises, is a big part in my life now, and if I can help one little tort, from the stress then at least I am doing something to help.
Sorry for the long post but I feel so strongly about all this.

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#18 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

"But To Prove Mine are Very very Healthy and as long as you look after them well from the begining I personally dont think you will have any problems what so ever...."

I have to disagree there, because we bought two Hermanns from an online 'dealer' (hate the damn word) and we have given them textbook husbandry, from the open pen enclosure to the dietary requirements, UV lighting, regular bathing, the works. The eldest had a worm burden that had to be looked at twice by a vet and now the youngest has RNS, blowing bubbles from his nose and sneezing. I can rest assured that, other than being an uneducated pet owner and buying from a dealer, there is nothing else I could have done than stick to the absolute letter of the law and give them the best care and attention I could. Sometimes, it's not good enough, because these poor little sods have had half of the stuffing knocked out of them before they even arrive on English soil.

Quite literally, they're like a fish out of water when they leave Slovenia, because they don't need to be in this country under any circumstances, other than the demand of pet owners.

#19 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

I have to agree with george Hermann.

I Bought 5 babies from Slovinia (T Cooper tortoise profit imports)followed all the advice, went to the best vet's x3, Was folling great advice. Spent over 300 on bills and 2 of the little guys died! This was after 2 months of stomach feeding and bathing every night by me and the Mrs. As George said there is nothing else I could do to save them! To be horribly blunt they were dead before I bought them!

On a happier note 3 who were never ill are happy as larry! Its a game of chance when you buy an import.

Regards

Mike

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-06 AT 09:13 PM (GMT)]Well yeah It is a game of chance and thats why I always try to discourage people from buying from these places, I was just Stating a FACT that MINE are very healthy and have had NO problems whats so ever,,
I WOULDN'T buy from these type of people again.
So before jumping the gun, Try and read My post properly,
The one before this one, And you will see I totally disagree.
Please all think Before You speak, as this is what causes all the arguments on this forum.
And I for one ONLY want to help the best way possible.
And this is what this forum is about!!!!!
HELPING OTHERS

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users