- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Sorry CJ I was only adding to what GH had said! Unsaddle the horse and chill out!

Mike

#22 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-06 AT 09:20 PM (GMT)]LMAO
Yeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#23 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

Anyhow, this is my last post on the forum. Nice chatting, thanks to those that offered advice, some really decent people on here but i've sunk to an all-time low arguing about tortoises on a message board!! Never a man to outstay his welcome, cheers to the moderator for the great site! Later! :o

#24 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:13 AM

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY george!!!!!! where you going likeeeee??? not another1 to go, your briliance sense of humour will surlely be missed :9 so where do you think you are going???????????

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#25 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hi gang.
I'm sorry my subject caused a bit of hassle!
I have emailed the seller at Buyatortoise, as follows:

"Hi Ian.

I have being hearing some unfortunate news that you might be importing Hermanns from Slovenia?

I'm told they are transported in terrible conditions and often end up very ill.

Can you reassure me that this is not the case, and that you are a British breeder?

Best regards,

Linda Low"

I really am pretty concerned now. Do any of you know for sure that this is a disreputable business? If so, I think I'll cut my losses (370) and buy from one of your recommended breeders. I don't want any involvement in this cruel trade.

#26 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hi.

This thread brings back all of the worries I had when I found out Godzilla was Slovenian. Like almost everyone else, I learned about the trade AFTER I had got her home. Luckily, I have had no problems with her and wouldn't be without her, but I think that was more luck than anything else. If you can get a refund from buyatortoise I think you should, unless you have the little guy already. Try not to panic too much, it's not the end of the world. If you have already got him/her, congratulations on the new arrival! Just make sure you get him checked over by a vet, there's a list somewhere of recommended tortoise ones.

Sorry to write such an essay, but I know how upset I was when I found out the truth about these god-damned internet dealers. They take advantage of the good intentions of wannabe tortoise owners at the expense of the welfare of the animals.

Ooh, and george, please come back! I think you joined about the same time as me and if that v special bond is broken then I will cry. A lot.

Beth x

#27 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Hi George Herman,

I think you should reconsider leaving the forum, as lots of us here have enjoyed reading your posts, and your humour is always welcome.

Nina

#28 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hello Linda
The reason this age is mentioned is because it is the age when they can be sexed, by the time a tortoise reaches the age of 5 you can usually tell if it's male or female, don't go on the ruling that the tortoise has been bred at 32 degree's your sure it's female or any of that jargon, the chances are higher of getting females but by no means a guarantee
Arnie

#29 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Arnie.
I was very curious about that age being of some significance.

#30 Guest_seesaw_*

Guest_seesaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi there,

you said in your last post that you might just cut your losses. PLEASE DONT! Firstly, try for a refund. If you dont get a refund, take the Tortoises. Its understandable that you dont want involved in this cruel trade, but letting them keep your money and refusing tortoises will be worse. For two reasons:

1. The dealer will have your 370 plus another 370 from someone else for the same animals. This will alow them to buy more wild caught tortoises and aid the business.

2. Secondly, you have found this site, so you can learn how to look after them properly. The next person to buy them probably wont be so lucky.

Let us know how you get on.

Im also against this trade. But maybe people should concentrate more on giving victims care advice, rather than everyone repeating themselves by saying they shouldn't have purchased them.

IF WE COULD ALL GO BACK IN TIME, LIFE WOULD BE TO EASY!

Graham.

#31 Guest_Tortle Gal_*

Guest_Tortle Gal_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

Jings Graham!
Thanks!

#32 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hi Tortle Gal
Welcome to the forum.I agree with Graham(Seesaw).I think if they won't give you a refund you should take the torts and give them a good home .You will get plenty of good advice on here from very knowledgable tortoise keepers.Good luck however it turns out to be .
Kind Regards
Laura(Tomatillo)

#33 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hi Linda,
Firstly you didnt cause any Hassle at all by starting this thread, We are here to help you the best we can, I was just stating a fact that this is what happens with these tortoises, But You weren't to know like a lot of people on this forum didnt know untill they came on here, (I Didn't even Know)
I would go ahead and buy them if you can't get your money back, You will give them a good life and you will have lots of help from us on this forum if you need it.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do, But dont worry too much I'm sure they will be fine as Mine are.

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#34 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Linda

Think of it this way, two little tortoises are going to get a fantastic home, if you cut your losses thy could end up in the wrong hands, without the care you will provide.

Enjoy your tortoises and give them a good home, which i am sure you will do anyway.

Darren

#35 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

Alright Linda!
The guy at buyatortoise manners leave a lot to be desired customer service is not his strength. That is probably why he has a PO Box as an address. I have had hassle with him and emailed to say I wasn't happy didn't get me anywhere. If you can get your money back then great if not fingers crossed you get a good one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users