- - - - -

Does my Tortoise Know best

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

Thank you Amy for replying. I have everything for Shelly thats talked about on here. I cant think of anything else to buy for her. As I said, we have 8 cats, we dont take the food dishes up as they like to go back a few times a day. I could not believe when I looked and she was perched on the cat dish eating. She was stuffing it down!! Does that not mean she wants to eat things like that? I`m scared to stop her as she wont eat anything I give her. Regards, Sue.

#22 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hi Sue,
Welcome to the forum ;)

PLEASE PLEASE DONT Give in NO CAT FOOD or PELLETS
Both are totally unsuitable and should be avoided.
Your tortoise will eat in the end but Tough love is needed now, If you want the best for Him/Her,You need to feed what they would have in the wild and they certainly wouldnt come a cross cat foods or pellets.
If you go out and look carefully you will find them popping up now.
Dandelion, Trefoils, Honeysuckle, Cat's ears, Vetches, Sow thistle, Hawk bits, Hawkweed, Plantains, clover (Red & White), Pansies, Rose Leaves and petals, Hibiscus, Mallows, Grape vine leaves, Agave plant, Mulberry leaves, Bindweeds, Opuntia cacti pads and fruit, Roman or red leaf lettuce, Watercress, Endive, Escarole and Chicory.
Try squeezing a bit of strawberry juice on top of the weeds you might find this will incourage to feed because of the sweet smell.
I do wish you good luck But DONT give in Its for the best. ;) ;) ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#23 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

Promise I wont give in. I just love her so much. It really was funny today watching her on the cats dinner dish. I will not let her do it again. Please, tell me how often to change the substrate again. Sue.

#24 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hi,

Just wondering has the little guy started eating weeds yet or is he still hanging in for something less favourable.

I cant remember what you said you were using as a substrate, i use hemp most of the time and tend to clean out patches of it as when they foul it, and replace those areas with fresh as i go along. So i guess its constantly being changed.
However if you suspect that your tortoise is suffering from any infestation i would change the entire substrate on a regular basis. This is just as important even if you only have one tortoise as they will eat their own droppings and in an infected tort this would mean that they are ingesting any worm eggs that they might be passing, thus reinfecting the tortoise you are trying to rid of worms.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve

#25 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi, Steve thanks for replying. I got Shelly 13 days ago from a pet shop. They tried to tell me I need a viv and a heat mat etc. I had her for 4 days then went to Manchester and bought her everything that peeps on this forum reccomend.She has a lovely home, with pansies planted, rocks, little stones, water dish and seperate drinkingbathing dish. She has a 100 watt lamp and seems very happy to burrow down. She`s out of her house most of the day wandering about. She`s 4 years old according to her cert. She`s a real character and is very friendly. I feed her all that people have said on this forum. She does`nt have weeds at the mo cos I cant find any. My hubby has been all over looking for dandelion leaves but cant find any at the mo.I gave her the pellets as a last resort on Sat. I cant believe how many she ate. This morning I was talking to my friend and she told me to look down. Shelly was in the cat dish and was practically vacuuming the food up. I know now not to let this happen again and I wont. She has 50/50 soil and sand. As I said she`s not in her house most of the day, she`s all over the ground floor of ours. I want her to have the best of everything and that includes changing her substrate. Should it be every day, every week or how often? I just dont know. Sue.

#26 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

I have wood chippings and i take them out and wash them every two weeks and if any is soiled meanwhile i remove that area. They take all day to dry out so i have some on stand by ready. (I wash them in miltons fluid) But regular bathing of your tortoise will keep the substrate clean longer.
I had to give tough love with food when i first got my tortoise as she had a `red` fetish and wouldnt eat green things for some strange reason. I worried and worried and worried but i had to be strong and after about a week from out of the blue all the dandelions disappeared. I`ve never looked back since, try a bit of strawberry or watermelon juice smeared over (not much though) my tortoise cant resist that. It will be worth it in the end and you`ll notice a difference in your tortoise. Good luck.:7

#27 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hi Sue,

Ok then lets see. Substrate first. I have never used soil and sand mix on my table so could not really comment on how well it lasts before needing changed. There is no reason other than personal choice for this. But i would guess that as long as you remove areas that have been fouled you should be ok to just keep replacing what you have removed as you go along. Someone like CJ or some of the other guys who use sand and soil may be able to tell you how often they change their own and if there are any other things to keep in mind when using it.

As for food, the first thing is that your tort has ate something, all be it not the best food, and not the kind of food it should be fed. The good thing to take from this is the fact that he has ate something, this helps to show that he is not refusing to eat because of any illness. The thing is now to get him onto a good diet and like others have said this can be a bit of a waiting game on your part. In the mean time if you dont have any get some good scales and while he aint eating just keep a check on his weight and make sure there is no sudden drop in his weight. If he hangs out for the protien rich foods he will loose a little weight but it will be gradual so dont let that worry you too much. One thing to remember when recording his weight is that after he has been to the toilet there could be a bigger change in weight than normal so dont panic if he suddenly looses more than normal in those circumstances.

Keep me posted as to his progress, maybe leave him on his table top for a few days, it will more than likely be hotter on there than around your house, and keep trying all the foods that people have recomended.

I know its hard as you just want to see him munching away but it is too early to panic right now, just hang in there.

Steve

#28 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hi Steve, This is a wonderful site. I cant believe how helpful people have been.I will take all info onboard and follow it to the letter. I want Shelly to be happy. I dont actually know how much cat food she ate but it cant have been much. I did panic at the time but common sense told me she would`nt eat something bad for her. Cats dishes will be removed before she`s allowed the run of downstairs again. I guess I just have to play the waiting game now. You will be glad to hear pellets are in the bin! I was doing the right thing with substrate. When she wees or poos I was using a spoon to remove it and putting fresh in.I will keep you all informed. Sue.

#29 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

I`m glad to hear the pellets have gone to.

#30 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hi Sue,

Sounds like your little tort has a great home now. You mentioned that in the new set-up you have a 100 watt lamp. Is this lamp for heating only, and do you then have a uvb emitting lamp as well (or do you have of those bulbs that emit heat and uvb)? I just wondered because you mentioned the tort having the run of the house all day, which means it won't be getting uvb rays, so I assume you have a ubv bulb in the tortoise table for when the tort is in there.

Nina

#31 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Hi Nina, She has the 2 in 1 lamp. She does`nt roam all day. Just for an hour now and then. I dont know if its ok but she loves it. I put her on the carpet and she`s off. We have a big house and she sits and stares at the Rayburn(after she`s seen the cats off) The house is very warm we have the rads on 24/7. When she`s had enough of the fire she goes exploring. I genuinely believe she loves being free. She seems fearless and she`s very nosy. I cant wait for the warm weather when she can go outside. Hubby is making her a "palace" in the garden. She gets more love than me.x( I just hope I`m doing it all right now. Sue.

#32 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:22 PM

Sue Sounds like you are doing a great Job!!
Keep up the good work ;)

Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises ;)
2.3.2 Hermanns

#33 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Calamity, It means a lot. I wont hesitate from now on to ask for advice on here. I was really scared to post cos I bought her from the pet shop. I thought you would all hate me. She was`nt exactly an impulse buy but I had to have her when I saw her in the window. I dont want to go back to the pet shop to look but there was 2 tiny leopard tortoises there to. I wish I would have got all 3 now but I know they would just replace them after reading this forum. I just hope the little things get a good home. I have fallen really hard for our Shelly and so has everyone else. The cats are terrified of her. They run like mad when she comes down the hall. My big hard Sami shakes when she comes toward him. Its so funny and shelly does`nt stop. Hey, just turned round and she`s chewing Florette! There is a God! Sue.

#34 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

Do you think you`ll end up getting more? I think most people do. Alex

#35 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-03-06 AT 03:54 PM (GMT)]

Do you think you`ll end up getting more? I think most people do. Alex

I certainly did I originally decided to just have the one and then a year after getting my first one I got 2 more. I'm just deciding which species to get next. I've caught the tortoise bug ;-)

1.0.2 Hermanns

#36 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:05 PM

Me Too!
I Just love them so much and can't get enough of them, They Bring so much joy, They are wonderful creatures and I feel really honerd to own my own. I can sit for hours just watching them do there own little thing.
I set of with 2 Hermann's And I now Have 7 Hermann's But I would still love more. I would really Like some egyptains next or some Leapards.

Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises ;)
2.3.2 Hermanns

#37 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

Alex, I`m sure I will get more but I want to make sure I`ve got it right with Shelly first. When I was a kid it seems everyone had a tortoise but its years since I`ve been in a home with one. I go to Bulgaria quite a lot and have seen them in the forest and one turned up in my friends garden in Varna. She just stayed one summer and was gone after that.They eat them over there you know but my friend does`nt! Sue.

#38 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

Very sensible youre best to get it right with shelly. It makes me feel sick when i think of all the animals that suffer and are being eaten. I have been looking at the animal markets in china and i got so upset i got palpitations(not lying). I was born with a heart murmur so my husband has band me from looking as i get so upset.
Henry and CJ, i do know what you mean though about getting more as i`m trying to resist the temptation. I will just stick to horsfields and only have a couple so i can give them lots of love.;-)

#39 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi Alex, At first I did`nt believe Krasi when she told me they eat torts. I really thought she was kidding. They do tho especially in the villages. I love all animals - dont care what they are and cant stand cruelty. Sometimes I could kill. I`ve had cats for 30 years and most just turn up here. We wake in the morn and another has moved into the conservatory. We never turn them away. The state some of them are in is unbelievable. Last week we had to have our 2 oldest put to sleep within 4 days of each other. They were 17 and 18. It never gets any easier every time is the same as the last. We have 8 now but it wont be long till more turn up. I`ve got 2 budgies as well and we all live together fine. I would love to fill the house with lots of different animals but its not practical(plus hubby would kill me) I will definately get more torts if I get it right with Shelly. Regards, Sue.

#40 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Ah thats lovely. Its my hubby that stops me. Do you know i didnt know people cared so much about animals till i got my tortoise and joined a forum. I always thought i was the only one. Its so nice to know i`m not alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users