- - - - -

Does my Tortoise Know best

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

He does`nt really stop me. I have to reign myself in sometimes;) He`s just as soppy as I am really. Cats move in and off he goes to the vets. All spayed and neutered and then live Rileys life! I rescued the budgies too. We have no kids but we have our babes. I must admit since I wrote about the 2 baby leopards its got me thinking ;-) Sue.

#42 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

Hi Sue,
It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job. I know some people don't believe in letting torts wander around the house, but I let my Boris have a good wander for an hour or so each day, just to make sure he gets enough exercise. He has a really good sized indoor enclosure now (about 4' x 2'), but even though I've broken up the sight lines, etc., he still gets bored and sleeps more if he's kept in all day. A good wander around the house keeps him interested.

Nina
P.S. Your house sounds great (big and warm). Mine is small and cold!

#43 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hi Nina, Yes we do live in a big old house. Costs a fortune to keep it warm but the cats love it and Shelly seems to. I really want her to be comfy. I`ve had Shelly for 2 weeks now but I think she`s settling in. If I dont let her wander about she does the same as yours. Just burrows down and sleeps. She`s always trying to get out of her house so I thought it best to stimulate her and let her wander. Are`nt they great? Sue.

#44 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:16 PM

They sure are great! You're going to love it when the weather gets warmer and Shelly can go outside. They are so happy being outdoors, and it's great to watch them explore.

Nina

#45 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi Nina, I have another question. I got some scales today. They weigh in Kgs and grams. How much should my Shelly weigh? She`s supposed to be 4 years old. I weighed her but I`m not metric. She was 208 grams? Is that correct? Regards, Sue.

#46 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hi Sue,

Dont worry about geting it right you are doing just fine. If your unsure your asking the questions and thats the best way to learn. Stick with the people on here who care for these fantastic creatures and you will get the right advice. And if for some reason no one knows you can bet your life at least one of us but more than likely most will go and find out.

As for the weight, if you go to the link at the top of your screen Jacksons Ratio. you will find a graph with weight plotted against length. you then just look up the length of your tortoise to find the weight. One thing about length it is the straight length not the length measured over the curve of the shell. That is front of the shell to the rear in a straight line. I will go find a link for you showing what i mean.

As for other torts, i can promise you will end up with more, i have always had hermanns, but as i am building new outdoor enclosures this year i am going to build a second and i am going to get myself a couple of leopards. I have met a breeder who lives about 25 miles from me so thats great. They are the most amazing looking torts. I know you mentioned them earlier but beware they get big and dont hibernate so you need lots of room for them when they are older.

Steve

#47 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

Hi Sue,

Here is the link showing a tortoise being measured http://www.tortoiset...s/measuring.htm

Steve

#48 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

I just read back my postings. I bet you all think I`m a nutter! I`m not really-just panicking about it all. I read the scales wrong yesterday. She is 140-148 grams. I hope thats right.I really did make it sound like she`s roaming all day but she`s not. She`s in her house more than wandering. I put new pansies in this morn and she`s dug right under and moved them. I told her she`s norty but she dont care. Sue.

#49 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hi Sue,
Steve has put you right with links to how to measure and to the Jackson Ratio. Unfortunately, I can't use the Jackson Ratio as I have a Horsfield tort and the ratio doesn't apply to them. So I'm always in the dark as to whether Boris is the right weight for his size.

Nina

#50 Guest_lelasuzi_*

Guest_lelasuzi_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hi Nina, I downloaded the Jackson thingy. Waiting for hubby to come and check I`m doing it right. I`m sure I weighed her correct. She`s showing 140-148 grams. Is that correct? I mean is grams correct? I`m imperial not metric. She`s asleep between 2 cats in front of Rayburn. Is she meant to be fearless? I never knew there was so many types of torts. It opens your eyes this forum. Regards, Sue.

#51 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hi Sue,
Sounds OK to me, but I don't know how long she is (did you follow Steve's link on how to measure length?). Basically you just put a piece of paper on the floor up against the skirting board, then gently push the tort , head first, against the skirting board, so her head goes in and the shell is touching. Then make a mark on the paper at her rear end, and measure the length. Then you've got her length, and you can see on the Jackson ratio chart if she falls in the normal range.

Nina

#52 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

Nina. i`ve got the same problem as you as mine was from a shop. The russian tortoise group said she was a year younger than i`ve been told. Its very frustrating isnt it. Alex.

#53 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi Alex,

I know, it is frustrating. I was told Boris was 3 or 4 years old when I got him last June, but he's 79 mm and 119 gms, and I think he might well be younger. I think the Jackson ratio doesn't work because Russians are a different shape (more round) than other torts, and so the Jackson ratio would make them appear either too heavy or too light (can't remember which) for their length. But I don't know why an expert couldn't devise a Horsfield Ratio especially for us! (Oops, I guess we shouldn't be talking about Horsfields on this forum - should be on the other breeds one -- maybe they'll forgive us this once).

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users