- - - - -

Taking a tortoise in hand luggage

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tortle_*

Guest_Tortle_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:14 AM

Has anyone ever taken their tortoise onboard a UK domestic flight?
I'm thinking of travelling by plane to pick up two 4cm Hermanns from a breeder but BA say they only allow dogs and cats to travel on domestic flights. I can't really see there being a big issue if I have them in my hand luggage. I'm not too sure if I want to take the chance though!
My other option is to drive a nearly 900 mile round trip! The flight is actually cheaper than the fuel!
Any thoughts?

#2 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

In my opinion, it's inhumane. Hand luggage still needs to be passed through X-Ray machines, and as hand luggage has to be small, you'd be stuffing two tortoises into a relatively cramped, dark and stressful environment.

If you have to travel 900 miles to find a breeder, then my advice is to find a breeder nearer to you. 'Smuggling' tortoises onto a plane (which, in effect, is what you'll be doing) is not only cruel but chances are, the security staff monitoring the X-Ray monitors would detect them, in which case you'd be asked to open your hand luggage.
Then you'd have a bit of explaining, as to why two tortoises are in your bag!

Not worth the risk, definitely a no-no.

#3 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

Smuggling is against the law, and so stressful for tortoises. As it has been said, try and find a breeder nearer to you.

#4 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

Sorry but i agree with George on this one. You would be subjecting the tortoises to uncomfortable conditions if you were to try and sneak the little guys onto a flight. I do understand your reasons behind wanting to travel this way, but you should only consider it if you can find an airline who will firstly allow you to carry them, secondly allow you to carry them in a comfortable manner for the torts, and finally an airline who will check them onto the flight visually and not subject them to the normal baggage handling process.

Why dont you just go by car and make a weekend away out of it, collecting the torts on the return journey, would break up the driving nicely.

Steve

#5 Guest_Tortle_*

Guest_Tortle_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

Thanks guys!
I am in here to look for advice and I accept what you say.
Weekend away coming up!
xx

#6 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

After all that i hope its somewhere nice your going.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

#7 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:10 AM

hi there i do not think any live animals are aloud on as hand luggage if u get caught it could be a fine u face ..
thanks becks xxxx :* :* :*

#8 Guest_xilin_*

Guest_xilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

hi

mate i think it will be absoulately fine, because when i went to china on my holiday i thought it was very cheap there so i bought 1. then i got a new hatchling and stuck it in my pocket and bought it back and it was fine.(the tortoise was a horsfield.) but im sure it would work in a lougage aswell.

#9 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

I'm afraid I really don't agree with this for one its illegal and another what about the poor tortoise. xilin where is the horsefield now?

1.0.2 Hermanns

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

are you mad

#11 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

Surely anyone who even thinks of the idea is crazy!!! it just seems so cruel...No disrespect or nefing but if u care 4 the welfare of these animals then y would u support a trade like this just because 'its cheap'?

#12 Guest_heaven leigh_*

Guest_heaven leigh_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

you dont deserve a torotise if u treat it like that.
would u like to be stuffed in a big pocket? no dont fink so

#13 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

Xilin,

in another thread on here many forum members including myself have tried to encourage you to take part and try to learn something for the good of your torts, i think you have had sufficient encouragement now to know that no one will be amused by that kind of comment.
Think about it there are people on here who have a genuine interest.
steve

#14 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

Well xilin, from your 1st couple of posts, I thought you were a bit of a windup merchant (that is being VERY polite too) I have a feeling you might just be one of these idiot TROLLS that forums hate, I cannot believe you are for real???!!!...T.T.

#15 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ devastating to read all of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^ x(

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)

#16 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:25 PM

i cant belive people can even think of smuggling torts, cant u be arrested for that? and ur right i mean putting the tort in a pocket must hav been so stressful, poor thing :)

#17 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

hi

mate i think it will be absoulately fine, because when i went to china on my holiday i thought it was very cheap there so i bought 1. then i got a new hatchling and stuck it in my pocket and bought it back and it was fine.(the tortoise was a horsfield.) but im sure it would work in a lougage aswell.

your very lucky some one has not reported you yet i think you are a wind up and you are here to just anoy people. You even make me look like an angel in these people's eyes. Why don't you just get a life and go back to school and learn how to grow up. Keep making statements like the one above and you may just find yourself in prison for smuggling ilegal animals into the UK i think that holds a long prison sentance.

#18 Guest_Humphrey_*

Guest_Humphrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:37 AM

Hello

yes I have taken four babies on a UK flight and did it legally! Infact even with BA after them saying they only take cats and dogs.......... Rubbish.

What I will say is that it is expensive in that you have to pay for a ticket and handling. You also have to purchase a specifically designed box with correct sizes in relation to the tortoise. These sizes are recommended by DEFRA and given to the person designing your box. You must supply their accurate size and weight.

Providing you do it properly although a lot of work and phone calls then in my opinion they wont come to any harm.

#19 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:49 AM

Personally wouldn't waste my time on him Humphrey - I know what I would waste on him though. Oops did I say that;)
S

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:21 AM

I Can't belive it!!!! :'( Some people Just dont give a damm about the welfare of these poor tortoises. :'( what these poor torts go through. :'( All I can say is you are a SELFISH SELFISH CRUEL GREEDY GREEDY PERSON AND YOU MAKE ME FEEL SICK!!! LITTERALLY!!! :'( :'( :'( YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED IS THERE NO THOUGHT AT ALL OR ANY BRAIN IN YOUR HEAD!!!!! IDIOT!!! :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users