- - - - -

Taking a tortoise in hand luggage

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_mic263_*

Guest_mic263_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:45 AM

xilin has got to be a wind up. after reading this and previos post he cant be for real. some people have nothing better to do. sad isnt it.

#22 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

.... And this is Calamity Jane holding back her anger! I suggest you beat it before you hear what she REALLY thinks of you! :D

#23 Guest_Tortle_*

Guest_Tortle_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

I'm sorry my posting has caused this hassle and I'd like to seperate myself from this "odd character" who thinks it alright to smuggle a wee creature from China!
I was making a genuine enquiry and graciously accept any advice given from those more experienced than me. I think this is a good forum for bouncing ideas about, getting opinions galore! As I said in a later posting, I am making the journey by plane, and return by train.
I'll be a regular here in the coming months, probably years!
Linda xx

#24 Guest_nelly_*

Guest_nelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

torts in pockets are you mad u should of been cought and locked up thats the least you deserve if it was my forum people like u would be band !!!!

#25 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hi Linda
if i where you i would start a new thread to disguss your questions with tortoise transportation this one has got all mixed up
Darren

#26 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:23 PM

Hi Linda,

Well put and I am sure you were seeking honest advice from a great forum. Unfortunately a fool butted in and heckled the old dears who dominate at the moment! But do not be put off and post and learn amongst the rubbish there are some very knowledgeable people.

Regards

Mike

#27 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

Hi linda,
I'm really sorry your thread has become a battle zone of sorts but were not usually so agressive its just when people make stupid comments. I feel that you unlike xilin are being responsible about bringing a tortoise from another country and doing it in a legal and less stressful way.
Regard
Peter

1.0.2 Hermanns

#28 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:43 AM

I hope you stay on here and learn more Linda. They help you alot on here. You`ll be very happy with your torts they are very rewarding and i`m sure you`ll have a nice drive back with them keeping them safe and sound as i can tell you genuinely just want advice.

Love Alex XX

#29 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hi Linda,

you don't need to be sorry. You just asked a question. Every sensible person on here knows that you have nothing to do with that "odd" person causing trouble.

Take care
Katrin

#30 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

Linda,

I think it has all been said and the sensible amongst us can all see that you asked a perfectly legitimate question and got good advice that you acknowledged. However as you can see there are one or two clowns around, as is always the case with forums. Please dont appologise for seeking advice and we would love to have you hang around the forum. Its the muppets of this world who we would like to see the back of.

Good on you for taking the trouble to ask the question in the first place and for those who gave you the sound advice. As for the remaining posts on this thread.....grow up or get off.

Steve

#31 Guest_Tortle_*

Guest_Tortle_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hiya Peter
I am bringing the wee creatures back from deepest, darkest Southampton!!!
It's just a domestic flight I'm taking down, and return by train!
xx

#32 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

Sorry Tortle, but I still don't agree. You say you're bringing the tortoise back from Southampton by train. Well, isn't that twice as long as a flight? You'll still have to subject the tortoise to a long and stressful journey, and the fact that you're using the 'alternative' method of taking the tortoise on a train doesn't change much ... in fact it doubles the journey time! I'd choose a local breeder, definitely! Hope you don't mind me saying this folks.

#33 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-03-06 AT 07:23 PM (GMT)]Don't I just love pre-empting nutters with avatars of Wallace correcting me about potentially inhumane methods of transporting tortoises?

#34 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

Yep you do!

And your point being? The tortoise will probably sleep the journey in a box, so sitting on a train/car/plain makes little difference in the real world.

Mike

#35 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-03-06 AT 06:59 PM (GMT)]Okay then Mike, so you're effectively advocating transporting a tortoise 450 miles by train, on the assumption that the animal will be happy and stress free, regardless of the method of transportation used.

I live in Manchester, and here's a little statistic for you.

Manchester - Plymouth = 229 miles

Therefore, travelling with a tortoise almost DOUBLE the journey of Manchester - Plymouth will be perfectly acceptable, because hey ... the little fella will sleep, right?

Also, i'd be interested to hear what the rail carrier says about travelling with tortoises smuggled in handbags. My opinion concerns the safety and wellbeing of the tortoise, THAT'S my point Mike.

Sorry, I suppose I should respect someone of your eminent standing in the chelonian world. As it is, wind your neck in Rupert, I don't recall asking for your opinion, considering that i've never had the misfortune to reply to one of your broadsides.

#36 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Oh Dear George,

In a forum you posted and I replied! So sorry to hear I needed permission to reply. I will wind my neck in as you say!

So why post in a public forum if you don't like what I write? I was only agreeing with you?

Quote "Sorry, I realise that I sound like a right miserable twot"

I had better think twice about travelling to the south as it is too far away in a car!

Mike.

#37 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

Mike you're missing the point. I've driven from Manchester to Newquay, Manchester to Plymouth, Manchester to Blair Atholl (!) but my health isn't being called into question here.

All I was suggesting was that Tortle find a breeder somewhere closer to her than 450 miles away.

Maybe you should consider that i'm not trying to be a stickler, old chap, just hopefully saving Tortle a long and unnecessary round-trip.

Regards,

Twot-Face.

#38 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Well i dont see the problem in doing a 900 mile round trip as long as the tortoise is in a suitable container and kept warm. I have done a 650 mile round trip to pick one of my adult red foots up, and she was fine and slept most of the way.

#39 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

With suitable accomodation, there shouldn't be a problem, but the original post concerned travelling 450 miles with the tortoise in "hand luggage". That to me doesn't sound too good, you can't possibly hope to provide the correct and humane environment if the tortoise is treated as "hand luggage".

#40 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

Yes George i agree there is no need to put a tortoise in hand luggage it is cruel. But i am replying to this thread:-
Okay then Mike, so you're effectively advocating transporting a tortoise 450 miles by train, on the assumption that the animal will be happy and stress free, regardless of the method of transportation used.
I live in Manchester, and here's a little statistic for you.

Manchester - Plymouth = 229 miles

Therefore, travelling with a tortoise almost DOUBLE the journey of Manchester - Plymouth will be perfectly acceptable, because hey ... the little fella will sleep, right?

Also, i'd be interested to hear what the rail carrier says about travelling with tortoises smuggled in handbags. My opinion concerns the safety and wellbeing of the tortoise, THAT'S my point Mike.

Sorry, I suppose I should respect someone of your eminent standing in the chelonian world. As it is, wind your neck in Rupert, I don't recall asking for your opinion, considering that i've never had the misfortune to reply to one of your broadsides.

I disagree with you with the right accommodation and heat they tortoise will be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users