- - - - -

Taking a tortoise in hand luggage

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

You're disagreeing on something that you've misunderstood Sarah. Tortle is going to transport the said tortoise 450 miles by train. Now, I know Virgin Trains have portable laptop points in their carriages, but as far as i'm aware, it would be nigh impossible to provide the "right accomodation and heat" unless you can plug your UV-B light into such a laptop point ... :D

#42 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have understood you fine george. Have you never heard of heat packs they can last for 24 hours.

#43 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Don't take it personally, Mike, I've got no beef with you. A few of us here are in no position to criticise the distance travelled when we are the unwitting owners of Slovenian-imported tortoises ("Unclean! Unclean!"). We all make mistakes, but having not been able to look at myself in the mirror since we acquired them back in the day, I would like to champion the safe and relatively humane transportation of tortoises on British highways, railways, and seafaring routes. Never cast a clout until May is out.

#44 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

EXCUSE ME, my tortoise might be slovenian and she is not quote `unclean unclean` be careful what you say as you (and blondesarah)can offend some people. Yes i agree that people shouldnt buy from pet shops but as far as i`m concerned my tortoise comes in that `pet shop` catagory and i`m sick of people labelling every single one as a diseased ridden, manky animal. Yes i now know to buy captive bred but alot of people love their slovenian torts.
Sorry but she is very happy, healthy and very beautiful and i am very proud of her, so put that in your pipe and smoke it(for want of a better word).
And i certainly dont think she is a `mistake`.

#45 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

Whoa there! I've got two Slovenian imports. I made the joke that people consider us Slovenian owners to be "unclean!" and that given the choice, we'd buy captive-bred. I'd appreciate it if you read the post correctly in future before launching 'into one'.

#46 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Alex i have said nothing about imports.

#47 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hi george_hermann,

Duelling pistols away as you live to close!

Agreed if you can buy a tortoise closer then go for it. I was just a little taken back as this poor lady has been a little vilified for an honest question then was slaughtered because of the actions of a childish heckler on a -9 score.

As Sarah said, and I have also done you sometimes have to travel the length of the country for what you want!

And why is it what you want is always 500 miles away?

Mike

#48 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

Yeah I actually have a genuine admiration for Tortle, in the sense that she's prepared to embark on a 900 mile round-trip to pick up a tortoise. Anyone with that amount of dedication certainly deserves the chance to own a captive-bred tortoise, and in no way am I questioning her commitment and dedication to the animal, merely the method of transportation. Now i'm drawing a line under this thread that's gone off at a tangent! Peace!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

#49 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

3/22/2006 AW1971 What a nice fella, immediate response and very very friendly.

You've changed yer tune! :* :-)

#50 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Listen mate i dont know what your talking about but first off i`m not a fella and secondly i dont know what right you`ve got to dictate about peoples pets. My tortoise comes into the category that you seem to think is rubbish so i suggest you dont speak to me again, that will be doing me a big favour. I have no intention of replying to your nasty comments again thats for sure. Hope i`m clear.

#51 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Read my post - I OWN TWO SLOVENIAN TORTOISES!!!!

#52 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:12 PM

Read my post - I OWN TWO SLOVENIAN TORTOISES!!!!

Last i`ll say on this then i`m off, my tortoise isnt called a slovenian as it never even crosses my mind. Her name is Tefa. And i am more than capable of reading your posts but i wont be anymore. Take care of yourself, Alex.

#53 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

Some people have a right chip on their shoulder don't they? Since when have I ever criticised someone who owns a Slovenian-imported tortoise, especially as I have two myself? It beggars belief, it really does. I like the people on this forum, they're generally good-natured and great to talk to, but this is ridiculous. I'm getting ripped for making a joke about us Slovenian import-owners being seen as "unclean". Oh, for heaven's sake, it was light-hearted.

What's the point? See ya.

#54 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

A few of us here are in no position to criticise the distance travelled when we are the unwitting owners of Slovenian-imported tortoises ("Unclean! Unclean!"). We all make mistakes, but having not been able to look at myself in the mirror since we acquired them

Well maybe you thought it was a funny joke, but sorry if i dont agree. Alex.

#55 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:59 PM

3/22/2006 AW1971 What a nice fella, immediate response and very very friendly.

THAT was the feedback YOU left for me! Oh, what's the point, for goodness sake? Some people only half-read posts and then jump to argue, when in actual fact, I was being friendly. In future, I'll not make any light-hearted comments. On the contrary, people are actively dissuaded from trying to lighten the mood. Point taken. Thanks very much, Alex.

#56 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Line drawn

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#57 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

Can I just say that some seem to be missing the point here. I have some torts here which have come from Jersey. Now I know full well that there are special boxes that can be used to fly these torts over, but has anyone ever seen the way these boxes are handled? They are virtually thown on at the terminal thrown off again at teh other end - sometimes tipped up and can even arrive upside down. They are then stood on runways waiting for the luggage trolley to take them inside where they are subjected to all the hustle and bustle of hte airport, boxes opened for inspection etc. Plus they are put in the hold and subjected to the pressures that we are not allowed to subject aerosols to! These tortoises were driven over in a personal car on the ferry at great expense to the owner and kept in deep hemp at cool (not hot) temps to discourage activity. To all intents and purposes they were asleep most of the way and arrived as fresh as daisys amd ate immediately on arrival following a nice warm bath. They travelled on the back seat of the car with the owner, never leaving the car until they reached here. I'm sure Linda has thought about the best way to transport her tortoises home with minimum stress. My biggest worry about heat would be too much of it rather than lack of it - buried down in a box of hemp, kept with her constantly and as cool and insulated as possible they should be fine in my humble opinion.
Sue

#58 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

In my opinion, a healthy tort would travel quite well over a long car journey (infact a tort would fair better than most), because in the appropriate box/container, at the appropriate temp. the tort would "slow down" and become quite relaxed and show little signs of stress. Saying that though, I make it perfectly clear that I will not courier my torts at all (I turn approx. 6 people down a month because of this!). If it was me, I would travel at night, the tort would of had a normal day, and be asleep for the journey. (less traffic too!!!)

Now as for the rest of this amusing thread, because some of it is quite funny, it really is so very easy to get "the wrong end of the stick" This is the problem when we are dealing with "words on a screen" and not a normal situation, as in "face to face" conversation.
We do not know each other personally, therefore how can we tell if someone is making a joke/just having a laugh/ being sarcastic etc. All we do is pick up on small things and it is easy to get it wrong (by the way, I joke around a hell of a lot, and sarcasm is my middle name!!!)...So come on everyone...relax, there are plenty of laughs to be had on "Off Topic" :7 :D :D ...T.T.

#59 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:50 AM

Hi TT
Just wondered if you have heard of Transtort. It is fairly recent site on yahoo groups http://groups.yahoo....group/transtort
It is a family affair. It was set up by a husband and wife who were sick of hearing of the horrors of transportation, just like the rest of us. Presently they use their own car but are looking into having a van specially adapted for the purpose of transporting torts humanely. They will do rescues, private transport, anything you like to do with torts. They will not transport more than one species at a time presently as they are looking at seperate quarantine areas in the van eventually. They are caring in the utmost and I can thorougly recommend their services. The site is a dsicussion site so log on and have a chat with either Julie or Brian - worth having handy in case you need them. I am using them on Sunday to take a tort from North Shropshire to Wolverhampton.
Sue

#60 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hi Sue, Thanks very much for that info...cheers...T.T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users