cuttlefish etc

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

hi everyone,

I have read a lot of posts about diffrent things people put on their torts food.

When i got Alfie, i was also given (for a fee) what i was told was calcium to put on his food.

However it seams that their is a large variaty of diffrent types of this and have jeard people mention things like cuttlefish etc.

Please could someone explain to me what i SHOULD be using and how often, and if cuttlefish should be left in the tank all the time?

If so where can i get these items?

Thanks

Fi & Alie :7

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

I use limestone flour, you can buy this from any horse supplier or i sell some on ebay if you cannot find any. It is much cheaper to buy it from a horse supplier.

You can also mix limestone flour with nutrobal to the ratio of 7 limestone flour 2 nutrobal.

You can put a cuttlefish in your tortoise enclosure aswell for added calcium (mine wont touch it. It is also good to file down their beaks.

#3 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

thank you v much, do you have a link to your ebay listing?

how do you mix the nutrobal and limestone? are they both powders?

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

Yes here is the link http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMESE:IT&rd=1
Is is cheaper to get it from a horse supplier but you will get a huge quantity.

Yes they are both powders you can get nutrobal off the internet or from any pet shop.

You mix it 7 parts limestone flour and 2 parts nutrobal and use every day.

#5 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

thank u

i was sold something called Repton - a dusting suppliment for reptiles and amphibians.

has any one heard of this?

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

are you sure it isnt called Medivet Reptavite
Have a look on here http://www.robharvey...es/vitamins.htm

#7 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

this is the one ...

... the 6th one on the list...

Medivet Repton
Repton is an insect dusting powder, designed to correct the poor nutritional value of some feeder insects. Repton is a high quality, broad spectrum vitamin, mineral and amino acid insect dusting supplement. The ultra fine high quality formulation of Repton results in superb and even adhesion to food items, making Repton easy to apply with minimal waste and, importantly, ensures that a full range of supplement is available on dusted insects

#8 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

That seems ok, i have not used that before. I would mix it with the limsetone flour as stated above.

#9 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

great thanks - i have placed an order with you on ebay, i can not pay for it yet as there appears to be a problem with the site. Will do so asap though.

would you still do the same ratio as stated above?

thanks for your help

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Sorry just noticed which one you have pointed out i would not use that for your tortoises it states it is just for insects. What i will do tho is i will do you a small mixture of nutrobal and limestone flour when i send out your limestone flour. You really need to get to a pet shop and get some nutrobal. Sorry about that.

#11 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

bless you thats very kind of you, it is very much apprechiated.

i will get some nutrobal asap, and obviously i have ordered the limestone from you, my very own special mix :o)

i will also buy some cuttle fish, is there diffrent kinds? if so which one should i get ?

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

I will send you a cuttle fish as well.

#13 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Thank you so very much.

if there is anythning i can do for you pls let me know :-)

#14 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

No problem, i have loads.

#15 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

Sorry just noticed which one you have pointed out i would not use that for your tortoises it states it is just for insects. What i will do tho is i will do you a small mixture of nutrobal and limestone flour when i send out your limestone flour. You really need to get to a pet shop and get some nutrobal. Sorry about that.

I have got the same and it is for reptiles with nil Phosporus. What they mean on the packaging is that you can dust the insects with it which then will be fed to certain reptiles.

Katrin

#16 Guest_seven_*

Guest_seven_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

I use limestone flour, you can buy this from any horse supplier or i sell some on ebay if you cannot find any. It is much cheaper to buy it from a horse supplier.

You can also mix limestone flour with nutrobal to the ratio of 7 limestone flour 2 nutrobal.

You can put a cuttlefish in your tortoise enclosure aswell for added calcium (mine wont touch it. It is also good to file down their beaks.

You have PM.

#17 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

I do not use cuttlefish, as a calcium source its not very good and certainly no good as a primary source , yes some torts eat it and it can be useful in keeping beaks in trim ,but it is better to use plain simple lumps of chalk, which is pure calcium. When wet it is soft and when dry it is very hard and tortoise's are well known to nibble it smooth.

Andy

#18 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

Hi Andy, you might think this a silly question but where do you get the chalk from (I only know the stuff the kids use to drawn on blackboards with, it isnt this is it?)

Viv

#19 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

hi ya,

i have been and brough some nutrobol today. the place i brought from said i should not use linestone and should provide a seprate calcium powder. They advised to give nutrobol 2 x a week and calcium every day i dont give nutrobal.

They also advised that cuttlefish was the wrong type of calcium and that i should not have to give this if i gave the seperate calcium powder and also suggested that an alternative to this would be chalk as suggested in the forum.

Please can some one help me clear this up as i am now very confussed?

#20 Guest_lozzer_225_*

Guest_lozzer_225_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Well thats what happens when you talk to pet shops lol.They have no internet access what so ever and only learn from books written in the 70's:)
Theres 1000's of tort experts on this site with years of experience and knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users