cuttlefish etc

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

tell me about it!

i just went in to buy nutrobol and ask for some chalk and get jibbered at for ages by some one who obviously did not have a clue.

Just wanted to make sure that i had brought the right thing as as you will see from previous posts i was origonaly sold completeley the wrong thing!

But sarah has very kindly helped me out with this (thanks again sarah)

#22 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:15 PM

Sorry for the double posting!!

Sorry just noticed which one you have pointed out i would not use that for your tortoises it states it is just for insects. What i will do tho is i will do you a small mixture of nutrobal and limestone flour when i send out your limestone flour. You really need to get to a pet shop and get some nutrobal. Sorry about that.

I have got the same and it is for reptiles with nil Phosporus. What they mean on the packaging is that you can dust the insects with it which then will be fed to certain reptiles.

Katrin

#23 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

cool.

can i please just check then that the nutrobal mixed with limestone is fine to put on his food every day?

would i need to supply chalk/cuttlefish all the time or just now and then

ta :-)

#24 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

I dont know what Andy1 is talking about but Many people on this forum use cuttlefish with no problems at all, It IS a Good source of calcium and as torts cant overdose on this it is totaly fine and safe!
You can leave cuttlefish peices in your enclosure all the time for them to nibble on but its also best to dust with it everyday.

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :o
2.3.2 Hermanns

#25 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

okay dokay - so juast so i am sure -

cuttlefish available every day?

dust a mix of nutrobal and limestone everday?

#26 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

(sorry if this is a double post - for some reason the last one does not appear to have been displayed)

does this mean that i can or cant feed this?

now that i have now got the nutrobal and want to make sure that i give it in the correct way.

can i give the nutrobal and limes stone together every day?

would i need to supply chalk / cuttle fish every day or just from time to time?

thanks fi

#27 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

I dont know what Andy1 is talking about but Many people on this forum use cuttlefish with no problems at all, It IS a very Good source of calcium and as torts cant overdose on this it is totaly fine and safe!
You can leave cuttlefish peices in your enclosure all the time for them to nibble on but its also best to dust with it everyday.

Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
2.3.2 Hermanns

#28 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:38 PM

okay dokay - so juast so i am sure -
cuttlefish available every day?

dust a mix of nutrobal and limestone everday?

(dunno what is up with forum, when i post it does not appear. then after i have posted again it appears - is any one else having probs?)

#29 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

The 'problem' with cuttlefish as the only source of calcium is that it is a bone and therefore has a high proportion of phosphates which bind to the calcium reducing its absorption. I have cuttlefish available at all times for them to nibble on and they often do as long as it is well weathered but I also dust their food every day with calcium carbonate (limestone flour) which is a better source of calcium mixed with nutrobal. I think the chalk Andy is talking about is simply calcium carbonate which is what chalk is.

Matt

#30 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yeah this is what I was trying to say that I have peices of cuttlefish in my enclosure and also dust daily with calcium carbonate (limestone flour) plus Nutrobol.
They dont nibble the cuttlefish everyday but they have it dusted on food everyday :o

Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#31 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-03-06 AT 07:08 PM (GMT)]ahhhh... i see.

thanks for clearing that up. i will start using nutrobal from tomorrow and include the limestone once i recive it from sarah and put in the cuttlefish she is kindly sending me :-)

#32 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

Good Glad that ones sorted lol ;)Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
2.3.2 Hermanns

#33 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi Fi,

Lots of good advice as usual, but if you go to the tortoise trust web site there are some very good articles there that explain in detail what, when why and how much to give in respect to calcium,vitamins and minerals.

The following http://www.tortoiset...les/calcium.htm
will take you to an article by Andy Highfield which explains it very well indeed.

The web site ingeneral if full of fantastic information and is great to use as a reference.

Steve

#34 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Just make sure you get the proportions of limestone flour to Nutrobal correct if you are dusting with both every day (because you can overdose with Nutrobal). If you mix them at the ratio of 7 parts of limestone flour to 2 or 3 parts of Nutrobal, then that will be the right ratio.

Nina

#35 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Thanks Matt , you are correct in what i was stating and with the link provided by Steve "thanks" , Calamity Jane can also see " no offence meant or taken".Esp the quote below taken from the article.

"Cuttlefish bone is a long-standing method of providing extra calcium to tortoises, and especially to turtles, as it floats readily in water. The main chemical constituents of cuttlebone are calcium carbonate, sodium chloride, calcium phosphate, magnesium salts and an abundance of micro-trace elements. Despite its high gross calcium content, cuttlefish bone is relatively poorly absorbed, and as such should not be relied upon as the sole source of calcium supplementation. It can, however, be employed as a secondary source."

Regards Andy

#36 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

so the correct mix of Limestone and nutrobal given daily with the extra option of cuttle fish should be okay?

How will i know the correct way to mix it - i know you have told me the ratio but i worry incase i mix it wrong.

How do you guys do it?

#37 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hi Fifi,

The best way to make the mixture is to get an old salt or pepper shaker or something like that and, using a measure (say, a cap off a bottle, or a small measuring spoon), put seven measures of limestone flour into the shaker and then put two or three measures of Nutrobal in. Then shake it up really well, so the two are mixed thoroughly, and then you're ready to go. It's wise not to make to big a lot of this mixture because Nutrobal can go off and is best kept in the cool and dark. When this mixture runs out, just make some more. I found that half a little salt shaker full lasts me for ages. Anything with holes in it (an old spice container) is good because you can shake the mixture out on the leaves each day, and not too much comes out at once. Hope that helps.

Nina

Nina

#38 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

it helps alot.

thank you very much :-)

#39 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

just put a cuttlefish in with Alfie - He is absolutley in love - he cant get enough of it.

He walked up to it, looked it up and down, and has not stopped eating it since :o

can he heat as much of this as he likes?

#40 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

i was just laughing when i read your last post, you sound as over the moon as alfie does. He will be fine, cant really have too much calcium.
Well done

steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users