Do torts eat carrots

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

Hi all,

I have just been looking at the Pictures on here and it looks like some torts were eating Carrots, is this okay to feed them?

I have a 12 month old Hermann

Lisa x

#2 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

We feed our Hermanns carrot tops (including the shoots) and it was an uphill battle to get them to like it, as they appeared to have been reared on Romaine, Romaine, Romaine and Gem lettuce hearts (Cos). For several weeks, anything other than the 'l' word was rejected, but thankfully, they have now 'opened their minds' to other ingredients in the Chelonian food chain. :-)

I am not one of those who, in expressing opinions, confine themselves to facts - Mark Twain

#3 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-03-06 AT 03:48 PM (GMT)]My horsfield cant get enough of them but i grate it first. I dont give it often as i guess it wouldnt be that easy to digest but dont know. I`ve heard its a natural wormer but dont know if thats true or not.
Alex.;-)

#4 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for this, i have just tried a bit with his food, dont think he is too keen though.

Lisa x

#5 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Clever tortoise - not a recommended food. If they would not find it in the wild - not usually much good ;)

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-03-06 AT 05:33 PM (GMT)]My tortoises love carrot, but i only give it them in the winter once a month.

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

HI
Carrots are rich in vitamin A and fibre but they are a root vegatable and high in oxalic acid which combines with calcium making the calcium useless to the tortoise best avoid it ,carrot tops are ok as long as plenty of calcium is used on them,some people do use carrots boiled to hydrate sickly torts but soon as the animal stars to show progress return to a normal diet straight away.
Darren

#8 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Lisa x;-)

#9 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:06 PM

Oh, that's a shame. Boris loves carrot, and I've been giving a little to him about once a month because I heard that it has anti-worming qualities, like pumpkin (do you know if this is true?). Oh well, no more carrot.

Nina

#10 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

Hi Nina
Not sure about the anti-worming properties sorry but stick to a good weed diet you will not go wrong there
Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users