Sexing Ringo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

Evening :) I hope i'm not jumping on the 'sexing' bandwagon, but i'd be interested to hear if it's possible to sex a tortoise before the age of four? Ringo is 3 years old, and we've always naturally assumed that 'he's' a 'he'! Maybe it's because he's still relatively small, but i'm not that good at calling this one.

Hopefully one of the more experienced tortoise keepers out there could lend an opinion?!

Thanks!

I am not one of those who, in expressing opinions, confine themselves to facts - Mark Twain

#2 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi there any chance of a photo of the plastron,thanks jeff

#3 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-03-06 AT 06:30 PM (GMT)]Hi George

Based purely on the size of the claw on the end of the tale my guess would be female, but there is time for her/him to grow and prove me wrong.

Steve

#4 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

Apologies for the lousy photo Jeff, this is literally hot off the press LOL x(

#5 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

HI there i would say female looking at the anal scutes, males are more arched than a female.hope this helps jeff

#6 Guest_jonnydotcom_*

Guest_jonnydotcom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

not 100% sure but i think ringo is a girl,
remember reading somewhere that its to do with the lenght of the tail short tail female/long tail male

like i said i aint 100% sure but i am sure that some1 on ere will help you,

jonny

#7 Guest_jonnydotcom_*

Guest_jonnydotcom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

just remembered where i saw it, on this site in the caresheets link

#8 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Cheers guys, i've got to be honest though - sexing a three year old tortoise is fairly difficult.

The one thing I noticed was that George (5, male) never made a fuss when Ringo was introduced, and lets him / her literally walk all over him and pinch his food without any intervention. He's extremely tolerant of Ringo, which got me thinking that Ringo may be female.

Either way, they're getting on brilliantly :)

I am not one of those who, in expressing opinions, confine themselves to facts - Mark Twain

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hi G herman
To young to tell 100% but i will go with a guess at female mainly because the tail is small and held downwards but saying this it may develope over the years into a randy little male
Darren

#10 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

Cheers Darren, he / she is already hyperactive, add 'randy' and 'male' to that and we may have a problem LOL :) }>

#11 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

If I were to take a guess I would say female too, But as its only young Its it difficult to say and I am no way an expert on this;)

#12 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

female has short stubby tail held in downward dirction and shell is a v shape this is a female sign

#13 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thanks to all of you for your sound advice. :) No wonder George never made a fuss about Ringo being introduced ... if Ringo's a 'she' then George will be a happy chap :)

#14 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Not quite right Dean. I have numerous young tortoises that display female for many years before showing male characteristics. Anyway thought DC tortoises had closed down :)
Sue

#15 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hello Sue. Still here? You must be enjoying this forum eh?!

#16 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

Not quite right Dean. I have numerous young tortoises that display female for many years before showing male characteristics. Anyway thought DC tortoises had closed down :)
Sue

No still going sorry to dissapoint you Sue lol

as i said i have owned many hermans and all have turned out to be what i guessed they where and as i had 20+ in my own private collection at one point i think that not bad guessing i also have success with breeding them and haveing them produced well over 100 babies at one point so i would say the enviroment i keep them in is spot on good luck with your torts George Hermann.

#17 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

Phew it's hard work with the likes of Clackett. No wonder he was banned from Tortoise Trust. The excuses and feeble fibs came thick and fast there too :)

#18 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

Licensing fella not caught the scams out yet Dean LOLOL

#19 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

still a member of TT just don't bother with the rubbish forum .
sue you realy need to get a life and then you won't have to go on about others you truly are sad. on a good note sue you still have many people who don't like you i see or should i say your out spoken untrue facts that you know nothing about but just come out in a forum shame you have never met me or no nothing about me you would look so stupid if you actually knew the person i am shame you say things before you think . well you carry on as i don't care what yopu say about me i have bigger things to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users