Help im really worried...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:44 AM

Terence has been sick today, it was white....What does this mean, i am really worried, i have read in a book that vomitting is very serious....the good thing is that he is eating okay.

Any help would be helpful

Lisa x

#2 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

hi lisa was there any worms in the vomitt,did you see terrence be sick.and have you had him wormed in the last 24 hours.

#3 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hi Thanx for replying...

No i did not see him be sick, i just saw white stuff hanging from his mouth, he has not been wormed since i got him 4 weeks ago, but me and my husband have just been discussing it, and i think that he may have had too much nutrobal could this of caused him to be sick?, i thought that i had done a partmix of 7 limestone to 3 Nutrobal, but i have just thrown that away and done another and it is a different colour ( more the colour of limestone ) OTerence seems fine now in himself he is eating and just in his bath as we speak and he is loving it. Do you think i should just worm him antway?

Lisa x

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

Please forgive me if this is a stupid thing to say, but did you see him vomit? Could it have come from the other end (i.e. urates)?

Nina

#5 Guest_nelly_*

Guest_nelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

funny enough we found the same thing in shellys tort table this morning very small amount first time shes done this two bright white too any one have any ideas

#6 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

It was definatley vomit, and as Nelly said it was too white, plus it was hanging out of his mouth.

Lisa x

#7 Guest_nelly_*

Guest_nelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

when we bathed shelly last night we saw tinny amount coming from her tail en and thought it might be poo any ideas

#8 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

Lisa
Did you see him vomit, this is important, I personally think it is urates that he is eating and perhaps wished he hadn't.
Urates are a natural thing for them to pass, just like birds do, so long as it's creamy and white nothing to worry about, but if ever you or anyone else on the list, see it turning gritty, then the tortoise needs to be hydrated by giving it 2 long soaks each day till they turn creamy again, this could take 2 weeks to acheive, but a must, if neglected the tortoise can develope bladder stones, which can, in the worst case senario, lead to death
Arnie

#9 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hi Arnie,

Terence was having a stroll around the living room, he had just had a wee, then he went under the book case, it was just a matter of minutes and i went to get him to put him back when i had noticed the white stuff coming from his mouth. He seemed fine in himself and straight after i gave hima bath which he seemed to enjoy and also he ate after it. Should i still worm him??

Lisa x

#10 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi, I dont want to get to deep into this as i`ve recent experience of my tortoise vomitting and then she unfortunately died. It does not sound like worms, it sounds like too much nutrabol or shes bringing it up because she doesnt like it. Just watch her and if there is any change in behaviour immediately take her to the vet. Trust me if its worms you`ll soon know when she vomits.

Love Alex XX

#11 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Alex,

I know that it can be very serious if they vomit, thats why i have paniced, as someone said maybe he had eaten the white stuff from his urine, i have checked where he was when i found him with the White stuff coming from his mouth and it was not wet, so maybe it wasnt that, i do think that it maybe the Nutrobal, i have thrown the mixture away that i had done and i have made a fresh batch so hopefully this would be okay, he has eaten today (i did not put anything on it ) and he ate it okay. Sorry to hear about your tortoise but can i ask when she vomitted was it bright white?

Lisa x

#12 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:10 PM

Hi i think your tortoise mustn`t like the taste of nutrabol. Sometimes if my Tefa has a mouthful of it she doesnt eat anymore and walks off so from alot of watching i`ve found that Tefa sometimes doesnt eat the bits that have alot of powder on and goes for the bits without.
Well the sick of worms is alot and they wretch before hand quite a bit and it looks very dark more a poo(excuse my words) colour. Definitly not white. Then with my little one she went off her food and just wanted to sleep. So watch your tortoise`s behaviour and if you notice a change youre not happy with get her to the vets asap. I`m not an expert and there will be alot of people on here who know much more than me but i hope i`ve helped you a bit sharing my experience. Take care. Love Alex XX

#13 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

Thanks Alex, i will definatley keep an eye out, he seems okay at the moment, Thanks again to everyone.

Lisa x

#14 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

If she is eating o.k. and is acting like normal it was may be just a once off sickness. As you said - just observe her.

Katrin

#15 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

sorry - I mean "him" not her!;) ;)

#16 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Katrin, Yes he was eating okay yesterday (i have not fed him yet today) but im sure he will eat it, he has just been walking around the living room and he seems to be enjoying it.

i must admit everytime he has a nap in his house i sometimes have the urge to see if he is okay, but i stop myself as i dont want to wake him up!!!!

Thanks for your replies, i dont know what i would have done if you lot werent here. You have all helped me so much :-)

Thanks again
Lisa x

#17 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

Maybe it is to do with letting him walk around the living room - this is not exactly tort friendly habitat and I generally discourage people from keeping torts this way. There are all sort of dangers in carpets, electricals etc
Sue

#18 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

I have to agree Sue; I feel that we should maintain our tortoises in as natural an environment as possible which doesn't really involve carpets and furniture ;-)

Matt

#19 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Sue's got a point. Whenever i've let our torts walk around the wooding flooring in our living room, they invariably head towards the corners, where i've got hi-fi speakers on stands, and numerous cables and wires leading to the mains (TV, DVD, Sky etc.) There's too many hazards in a living room, and without wishing to sound flippant, I am reminded of the good question

"Would a tortoise do this in the wild?"

Quite clearly, the opportunity to hide behind the sofa, nut the skirting boards or get tangled in a hi-fi set up is minimal in the natural habitat of the tortoise, so I would suggest a more natural enclosure ;)

#20 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for you replies, however, i would like to point out that i dont have carpet it is wooden flooring and there are no exposed electrical wires, he is only out for about 1/2 hour a day to just stretch his legs as he is currentley in a viv (without doors)I now know since being on here that it is not a good to keep your tortoise in viv's so he will be out of the viv tomorrow as i should receive the combined UV/heat light and then he will go in a temp table top (tub from ikea ) until his wooden table top is finished hopefully at weekend.

i appreciate this is not the ideal situation, but i am making the most of what i have to make him happy.

Oh the good news is that he has not been sick, and he has been lively today walking around. He will be alot happier tomorrow when he gets in his (temp) table top.

Lisa x:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users