Breeding while young

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_beth_217_*

Guest_beth_217_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hi all,as you can see new to the site,and would like to thank you all for some valuable information that i have learnt while reading some old posts.My question is-i have 3 small hermanns one is just 2 1/2 and 2 are 3 years old.Recently they have started to try and mate with each other,while amusing im very concerned as common sense dictated that they are far to young.Firstly will this cause serious problems in the long term and can fertilization be achieved at this age, and secondly if it needs to be stopped how do i go about doing this(build another tort table for seperation?).I do hope that this is normal behaviour and i have nothing to worry about.

#2 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

Hi

Unless your tortoises are really big for their age, they wont produce eggs yet. Although they will keep practicing. Female tortoises dont usually start laying eggs until 10-15 yrs old, with slow growth.
You might have to seperate the male from the female when they are bigger as it can stress the female out. With constant banging.
Normal behaviour for young tortoises, it also could be a dominance thing. One has to be the alpha tortoise.

#3 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

Beth i would'nt be overly concerned, the poor boy is just trying to find the hole - lol

I would think they will be ok together as long as the male is not too aggressive and female is not getting too stressed by the males egerness to "see if it works"

In the wild they can not be seperated and told you will not breed until.... so when your females body is ready she will start to produce eggs, however in the wild the females do have the luxury of being able to just walk away and hide form the males, so you could just make sure she can get out of the way!

Good luck and just keep a watchful eye.

Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users