- - - - -

What age are they fully grown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rach_j_*

Guest_rach_j_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi, I have a two year old hermann's tortoise called Speedy,(yes very original :)) I was just wondering at what age are they fully grown? And how old until you can tell what sex they are? Also, I've had him since October, and for exercise I was letting him run around the house (with careful supervision obviously) But a few days ago I decided it was warm enough to let him go on the garden. He didn't really seem to like it though. Will he get used to it, or do some tortoises just not like it outdoors?

#2 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

It is hard to say what age the tortoise is fully grown.

I have attached some pictures below to help you identify the sex of your tortoise.

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hello Rachel
It is scary for them outdoors and not as warm as they are usd too just do it a bit at a time say an hour then fetch them in and the warmer it gets the longer you can leave him, just remember when it's very hot they will also nee dshade and protection from birds at 2 years old as they are small enough to be carried off, fruit mesh is a good protector,
If a tortoise is grown properly and slowly, a couple of grams per month, then it could be around the 5 year old mark before sex is determined. don't go on incubation temperatures that is not full proof.
They can grow all their lives, I have a rehomed tortoise that is at least 60/ 70 years old and last year had the distinct white line arond the shell to indicate growth, but not as distinct as a young tortoise's growth ring, so I would think the older they get the growing process slows right down.
Arnie

#4 Guest_rach_j_*

Guest_rach_j_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

Ok, thankyou very much for the help. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users