pic of my tortoise table...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

ello ello,

finaly managed to get some pictures sorted out of alfies table.

Please let me know whatyou think - its 71 inch long and 14 inch wide.

thanks

Fi :P

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:34 AM

I think it looks really nice Fi - you must be pleased with it! Just one question: how high above the table is your UVB tube?

Nina

#3 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-04-06 AT 04:25 PM (GMT)]That's enormous! It looks class. Lucky Alfie!

Beth x

PS: Just wondering though, is the back right against the wall? If not make sure he can't climb out over his log roll. x

#4 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

the light is about 13 inchs away from the ground.

the table has a back to it so that i could put his hides up against it with out him escaping :P

i am so pleased with it, i dont have that much space so my dad custom built it for me to fit at the top of my stairs :P

#5 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

It looks great, Fi, and many congrats to your Dad for making it. The only thing I would change is to bring the UVB fluorescent tube closer. If it's something like a Reptisun 5 then it needs to be no further than 12" from the substrate, and preferably closer. I've got a Reptisun 10, which says it can be up to 20 inches away, but I have it at about 8". Also, you need to know that these fluorescent lamps need to be replaced every six months -- the light continues to be put out after that, but the UVB is used up (my Reptisun 10 says it's good for up to a year, but I'm going to replace it a bit sooner than that). The other thing you can do is attach a reflector to it (a semi-circular piece of shiny aluminium that helps focus the rays down so fewer get wasted). You could even us a bit of aluminium foil at the back.

Nina

#6 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image

chacos table in the reptile house in the making

Posted Image

almost finished for them

Posted Image

their one in our house

Posted Image

Posted Image

and their out door area

#7 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-04-06 AT 06:28 PM (GMT)]think your look great very nice size

#8 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

i like your designs did u make them yourself ?

#9 Guest_nelly_*

Guest_nelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

thats a great table fi fi well finished with trim along the top a quality job im sure ur tort will love it

#10 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-04-06 AT 07:11 PM (GMT)]yes i made the larger one but it worked out well expensive and still has only 9 inch high sides
the smaller one i purchased as an empty table and converted it both are only good for young tortoises and smalll species
these are the ones i make that are much higher sides and cheaper to make and look just as nice they can be made so cheap in so many different sizes just a visit to b&q every day to the cutting machine

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now we have done away with the plastice caps
Posted Image

#11 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the comments about the light, i will lower it this weekend.

what height do u recomend? the top of alfi's shell is about 2.5 - 3 inch

thanks

fi :P

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hi Fi,

What strength is your bulb? I think about 6 or 7 inches from the substrate would be OK. If I'm wrong, can one of the experts on here come in and correct me?

Nina

#13 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

Thankyou for sharing your pictures with the forum they look great

#14 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:15 AM

Hi Fi,

What strength is your bulb? I think about 6 or 7 inches from the substrate would be OK. If I'm wrong, can one of the experts on here come in and correct me?

Nina

Your right Nina it use to be 12 inch now they say 6 inch from top of their shell i use either 5%UVB 8%UVB or 10%UVB depending on the species

#15 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

The light i am using is - Repti Glo 8.0 desert terrarium lamp - Exo Terra 40W - 120cm / 48"

33% UVA 8% UVB

lol :P

what height should this be at?

thanks

#16 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

i would say 6 inches from the top of the tortoises shell but others may differ in height depending on what species they keep also what strength for the species

#17 Guest_Fi_fi_*

Guest_Fi_fi_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Alfie is a herman - would it still be 6 inches?

thanks

#18 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

sounds ok to me keep the light 6 nches above the top of his shell

#19 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-04-06 AT 10:38 PM (GMT)]all these tort tables look really cool but i was just wonderin if any of u hav tried usin a correx base instead of wood, this is what i used and it cost me 10 to make and was so simple. its just hard to believe i have never seen any one with it, maybe im just odd lol

#20 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

a friend of mine uses the plastic 40inch x 20inch indoor rabit cages for his smaller babies and species these have mesh tops but do cost about 50 what are you meaning when you say correx as i must admit i have not heard of that think of me i must say lol lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users