- - - - -

New here- question on feeding and Hermann making squeaking noise...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_squirtmom_*

Guest_squirtmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:26 AM

This is my 13yo son's pet, and I have to say he is the most enjoyable pet we've ever had! I'm thinking of getting a second.

First- what weeds and plants are ok to feed him? He's going on 2 years old this summer, and with the weather getting nice again and the green returning to the yard, I'm looking forward to feeding him a bigger variety.

Second- he's making this weird "squeaky" noise. I've read they can do that while courting, but he is alone so I don't think that's it. (Although, he was frantically "ramming" at the glass on the aquarium and snaps at fingers near the glass- which is also common during courting according to what I've read). It's just a squeak- a whimper, cry, wheezing kind of squeak if you may. Any thoughts or ideas?

#2 Guest_jms__*

Guest_jms__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

Regarding the feeding of your Tortoise, this has been covered in many of the topics already and there is plenty of information concerning this on the site.
I gather from your posting that your tortoise is being kept in an aquarium, which does not provide an ideal environment, not least because the see through walls are very unsettling for a Tortoise and it will continuously pace around looking for a way out which is highly stressful, also the high humidity levels created can cause serious long term problems.I would consider a more open type of housing which can be simply constructed and will cost very little.

#3 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

Please Please Get your tortoise out of the vivarium, They are lethal and your tortoise will end up dead in the next few years if you leave him in there.
Vivs are no good they cause too much humidity which causes repritory problems That why he is weezing and making them noises, Take the glass doors off the viv and put the viv on its side so there is plenty of air getting in, Make sure you give him plenty of warm baths as He will be dehydrated at least 20 mins each time.
Have a look here http://www.tortoiset...es/vivarium.htm
I am sorry to sound Harsh but thats what it is. Vivs Kill!:'(

Yours
CJ
:(

My Tortoises
2.3.2 Hermann's

#4 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

You can also visit My website for lots of info on Tabletop enclosures and lots of tips and advice. www.thetorthouse.piczo.com

Yours
CJ
:(

My Tortoises
2.3.2 Hermann's

#5 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:19 AM

Hi Squirtmom,

For a plant list for feeding try these sites:
http://www.tlady.cla...tGuide/Diet.htm
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/

And for growing your own weeds, you can buy specially formulated seed at this site:
http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

But PLEASE get your tortoise out of that fishtank. Several disadvantages have already been mentioned, but another one is that you can't get a good temperature gradient in an aquarium (it tends to be nearly the same temperature all over). You want a temp of about 90 - 95 degrees at the hot end and 70 at the cool end, and no heat at night. There are some pictures of open, tabletop enclosures in the pictures section on this site. It doesn't need to be expensive - you can use an old bookcase (with the back on and the shelves taken out), or one of those underbed storage drawers - or even a large old drawer from a chest of drawers. I use a large rabbit cage (46 x 24) - it has a plastic tray about seven inches high on the bottom and a wire cage structure top and sides which allows for air flow and provides something to hang the basking light and the UVB light from.

Nina

#6 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

P.S. Read the thread Housing for a New Baby Hermann - which is three or four threads down from this one. It has pictures of my indoor enclosure and lots of links to other sites with pictures of enclosures, to give you some ideas. And best of luck with your little tort - you obviously care a lot about him.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users