Questions regarding my tortoise readiness for hibernation (refrigerator method)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_aureil_*

Guest_aureil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Dear members,

My tortoise Cynthia (4 years old) has done 3 hibernation cycles already using a small refrigerator. She has always slowed down perfectly well following the 4 weeks method of winding down . This fall the process has been different because after 4 weeks of slowing down she was walking in her pen (slowly but surely) and I feel she is not ready to go in. As i was supposed to do with her this weekend. I placed Cynthia last night in a smaller box closer to a vent to be exposed to a cooler air. And that slowed her down but i also noticed THAT SHE PEE'D in the small box.
What shall I do? Stop the hibernation process before it has began?? Do not do refrigerator method? Just give her a few more days in the box to acclimate to the cooler air and then bring her into the fridge?
I know she has become a bigger tortoise this past summer and had grown in size and weight quite a lot this year too. I wonder if her strength and youth has made her a less easy one to wind down....
My major concern is the fact that i found urine in the box.

I will apprecitte your advice,

Aureil

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

Dear members,

My tortoise Cynthia (4 years old) has done 3 hibernation cycles already using a small refrigerator. She has always slowed down perfectly well following the 4 weeks method of winding down . This fall the process has been different because after 4 weeks of slowing down she was walking in her pen (slowly but surely) and I feel she is not ready to go in. As i was supposed to do with her this weekend. I placed Cynthia last night in a smaller box closer to a vent to be exposed to a cooler air. And that slowed her down but i also noticed THAT SHE PEE'D in the small box.
What shall I do? Stop the hibernation process before it has began?? Do not do refrigerator method? Just give her a few more days in the box to acclimate to the cooler air and then bring her into the fridge?
I know she has become a bigger tortoise this past summer and had grown in size and weight quite a lot this year too. I wonder if her strength and youth has made her a less easy one to wind down....
My major concern is the fact that i found urine in the box.

I will apprecitte your advice,

Aureil

Hi Aureil,

I would be inclined to give Cynthia a bath then try again. Last year one of mine was still wondering about after wind down but I went ahead with hibernation and he soon settled after a day or two in the fridge.

#3 Guest_aureil_*

Guest_aureil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hi Aureil,

I would be inclined to give Cynthia a bath then try again. Last year one of mine was still wondering about after wind down but I went ahead with hibernation and he soon settled after a day or two in the fridge.

Thanks!
I will check on her and I will go ahead with planned hibernation.

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

Good luck, keep us posted on her progress and don't forget to keep visiting us whilst she's asleep :lol:

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

I would give her another bath as Dawn said, but although it is a good idea to put her somewhere cold to slow her down even more before she goes in a fridge, don't put her by a draught to cool her down. They do take a few days to finally go to sleep even after being in the fridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users