- - - - -

Godzilla%27s escaped

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

We're having quite a major crisis this evening, my 3 year old hermanns has escaped through a small hole in her ourdoor enclosure. We have a 1/2 acre garden with 2ft tall grass, surrounded by similar gardens, but with slighly shorter grass. Does anyone know what her instincts would have told her to do? Would she go for the long grass or the shrt grass or the hedges/borders? I think she escaped early in the afternoon. I don't think I'll like the answer to this, but how far could she have got? I'd appreciate advice from anyone. Off back outside now to keep looking!

Beth x

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hi Beth,

I'm so sorry to hear about Godzilla escaping. They're such clever beasties, aren't they? I'm sure people more experienced than I will reply to your message, but just looking at my Russian tort when he has free access to the garden - he heads for shelter. I don't think they like open space and feel vulnerable, so they head for long grass, the shade of a bush, or low growing plants. Can you be out there tomorrow when the sun is out and it's warming up? He might emerge. Otherwise I think it's just a fingertip search everywhere. Is your garden secure (it sounded from the message like there might be free access to your neighbours' gardens)? If this is the case then definitely talk to them and ask them to be on the alert for him.

Fingers crossed that he gets homesick and you find him soon. Let us know what happens.

Nina

#3 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for that, Nina.

I won't be home tomorrow to look for her, but my mum will. I'll be home after work in the evening. Her enclosure is at the edge of our garden, on the border with our neighbour's. The neighbour wasn't in but I had a sneaky look in his garden anyway. I couldn't see her, but there was plenty of undergrowth and weeds, which I hope means he doesn't use weedkiller. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Beth x

#4 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:04 AM

Nina's right when she says do a finger tip search - you may miss him by just looking. My 3 year old likes to bury himself level with the earth and looks just like a stone. I sometimes have to look hard to find him and his enclosures only 10 by 3 feet!
Best of luck. Let us know when you find him.

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hello Beth
I had a phone call this morning from a person who had bought 2 of my little ones with the same story. I told her to wait till about noon as he would have gone down, which he had and is now munching away wondering what all the fuss was about, another instinct is to bury themselves near roots of plants as this is a cool moist place to dig
Fingers crossed
Arnie

#6 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hi again.

Thanks for the tips. I finished work early today to come home and look for her - which I did for 2 straight hours - and she's still awol. Luckily, she's not one to bury herself too deep. Even when she stayed outside in her enclosure overnight she only hid under a plant. Does anyone know if she'd head for long, thick grass or to shrubs, which let dappled sunlight through?

Tortoises are exhausting! x(

Beth x

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

Hello Beth
Came straight on here to see if he had turned up, so sorry he hasn't, yes that would be a perfect place for him to head for, the heat makes them react the same as the cold, and it has been really warm the last few days, I do hope you find him soon, the weather is set to continue so Saturday you'll be home all day to have a good look and see if he surfaces, if not might be a good time to start ringing RSPCA and local radio station to see if anyone has found one.
I take it this is a small tortoise we are talking about??
Arnie

#8 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

Hi Arnie.

Am so touched by your concern! I hope I'll be able to give you some good news soon. I've put flyers through our neighbours' letterboxes, and will put some posters up this weekend. Godzilla's only three so she's still small. I'm at work at the moment but can't concentrate as I am so worried! I'm not going home tonight so can't look then.
Do you think she'll be getting further away from the house, or will she stay in one particular area.

Hate to say it, but the possibility that she's possibly wild caught may actuall work in her favour!

beth x

#9 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:17 PM

just read your post and cant imagine how ur feeling, im hate to think tht cud happen. u must be so worried, i hope u find him soon and make sure to keep letting us know how u get on :(

#10 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hello.

Still no news, I'm afraid. My mum looked for 7 hours yesterday, and I'm spending my Friday night doing the same. The problem is I've no idea how far she could've gone. She may still be in our garden somewhere or she may have gone a lot further.

My friend's brother's a fireman, so he's going to ask him if they hire out their thermal imaging equipment which might help. And I'd get to see some tasty firemen! I know she's cold blooded, but surely she'd have more heat than the surrounding area. Of course that'll only work if she's still somewhere in the vicinity.

Needles and haystacks spring to mind!

Thanks for all of your nice messages.

Beth x

#11 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi again.

I thought I'd fill you all in on the latest in the Godzilla saga. We're still spending every free minute looking for her and are all now very sunburned! I've ordered six squirrel traps off the internet, which I'm going to bait with apple and tomato and put around the gardens. She's only had tomato a few times, but seems to be able to smell it from miles away. She had apple once when my mum dropped a bit on the floor, and has returned to that same spot every time she's out in the house to search for it. As you can probably tell, we're getting a bit desperate now! The traps are like wire cages that shut when the animal treads on a touch pad, so I think it'll work for tortoises as well as squirrels. Wish me luck!

Beth x

#12 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

well good luck with all that, its hard to believe how long it has been u must be really worried. i just hope it all turns out well for u all im sure ull find her soon. its a good idea if those are both foods she can recognise as rewards. keep us posted

#13 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

So sorry to hear that Godzilla is still on the run. We're thinking of you and hoping she'll return to the fold. Keep us posted.

Nina

#14 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

Hi Beth,

Just to show you they do come back, I've just seen this on another forum (it's from The Telegraph:

THE TELEGRAPH (London, UK) 09 June 06 Tortoise leaves mate after 50 years
A tortoise has walked, very slowly, out of the life of her companion - for the first time in more than half a century.
Bert and Daisy were inseparable for over 50 years, until they were let out of their pen for a change of diet.
But while Bert chewed contentedly on clover, Daisy made a break for freedom and has not been seen since.
The tortoises' owner, Jonathan Bradley, of Combe Martin, north Devon, inherited the tortoises from the elderly relative of a friend and they have been together ever since.
"They have never been apart," said Mr Bradley, 55, adding that Bert was looking a bit forlorn.
Now the family, including his wife, Anne, 50, and nine-year-old daughter, Albany, have roped in friends and neighbours to scour the countryside around their home.
He said Daisy vanished during half-term and has appealed to anyone who comes across her to give the family a call on 01271 883344.
Meanwhile, in east Devon, Mach the tortoise has returned home after being separated from his partner, Zach, for the first time in around 25 years.
He vanished from his garden at Rewe, near Exeter, on May 10 and has just been found - having travelled a mere half a mile.
His owne,r Cynthia Court, 58, said today: "He vanished into a 16-acre field of peas behind our home and I thought he was lost forever.
"We got him back after putting a notice in the local parish magazine - but I am keeping an eye on him because he's always trying to find a way out of the garden."

Nina

#15 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Nina, it was very nice of you to post that article. Still no news on Godzilla, but my traps are now set all around the garden. I'm not sure if she'll fall for them or find the entrance, but if she does, it's 122 well spent. I can't believe I've now spent more trying to catch her than I paid for her in the first place! That's life, I suppose.

I'm just wondering, as the temperature has now dropped since last week and Godzilla's only three, will she be a lot less active? Sorry to sound like a broken record, but does anyone know how far she would travel? would she be likely to wake up, wander around and fall asleep in the same area, or would she go on a mission and tramp for miles?

I also felt the need to post again because my thread was getting lost down the page, and I didn't want to be forgotten!

Thanks again for your nice messages.

Beth and Franklin (baby number 2) xxx ;)

#16 Guest_Terence1_*

Guest_Terence1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

Hi Beth,

I have not been on here for a while, i dont have much time on these days, i have only had my tort for about 6 months so i am no expert, i have been reading your thread for the past few days, and i have just signed in especially to see if you had found godzilla yet, i am sorry to hear that you have not found her yet, like i said i am no expert but Terence does not move much when he is cold so maybe she wont be too far. i will keep signing in to see if you have found her. Dont worry, you are not sounding like a broken record and the people on here will understand as im sure they can imagine what worry you are going through. keep positive there is alot more hope than you may think now. just remember you are doing all you can to find her.

Take care
Lisa x

#17 Guest_jms__*

Guest_jms__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

Still early days, if there was an olympic medal for sleeping, 3 year old Hermanns would win it hands down. I have known one of these rascals to disappear for eighteen days at this time of the year and when it finally emerged, it was within ten feet of its pen, the owner having widened his search to all the surrounding gardens within a half mile area. In the past, I have located them by spraying the earth with water and allowing it to soak in. It worked on a number of occasions for me but you must decide yourself if you want to try it.

Good luck.

#18 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hello Beth
Have you tried your local radio station and have you phoned the RSPCA to let them know if she should turn up there.
One thing is for sure when this has all died down, with a happy outcome I hasten to add, you must double check all your security, as it will be common knowledge that you have tortoises.
I wouldn't be suprised if she is still in the garden, and thankfully the weather is set to pick up again so she should be active again, but they can and do travel, sometimes a mile or 2.
I will have everything corssed for you and the little one
Arnie

#19 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

Thanks folks.

I've registered her with the Missing Pets Bureau which I found on the RSPCA website, so I presume that they work together. The local radio station is pretty rubbish to be honest. I'm glad the weather is warmer again, she might come out to eat and get walk into one of my traps!

Your good wishes do mean a lot to me. Keep em coming!

Beth and franklin xxx

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:32 PM

HiYa,

I Lost one of my hermanns last year and she was gone for 10 days I have a very large garden too, and also have land, I searched and searced high & Low and My hopes were begining to fade, but then out of the blue a little girl from down the farm came knocking at my door with her in her hands I could not believe it!! She had managed to walk all that way across my garden through a field and a couple of allotments and across a road,, she found her in the farm yard at 9 o clock at night. You wouldnt believe how happy i was to see her again. The point of this story is, DONT give up.
I have been watching your post too, and I really do hope and prey she will turn up for you. My fingers and all toes are crossed for you. Please keep us updated & Good Luck!

Yours
CJ
;)

My Tortoises
2.3.2 Hermann's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users