I think my tort is poorly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Merrill77_*

Guest_Merrill77_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hi,
I have had my tort for 2 weeks now and everything seems to be going fine. The last week he has been out in the garden in a pen under a tree, and he seems to like it. I let him out for about an hour each night so he can roam around the garden while I watch him. He seems to like this too. I feed him weeds from the garden- he loves dandelions and eats like a trooper! I also bathe him every other day.
However today he went to the toilet and white diarreah came out, quite bad. Its not the stuff that comes out when he wees, it was definatley the other. Is it something he ate that he shouldn't? Any ideas about how I can make him better. He seems to be sleeping alot too this past 24/36 hours. After he went to the toilet he crawled back in is house and buried himself again, he usually wants to be let out his pen. Iam woried sick about him.
All your advice has been great so far, so Iam hoping you can help again! Thanks

#2 Guest_seesaw_*

Guest_seesaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

Hi,

it sounds like your doing everything right. Sometimes torts go through periods with little activity. This can last a few days. I would only worry if the tort continued to act like this for sometime.
I know my torts have been less active lately when i put them outside. But i put this down to the exteremely hot weather we've been having. I'm in Scotland, so i imagine its much hotter down south. So give him a little more time.

Im sure your white diarreah is just urates. Nothing to worry about. It can look different from time to time depending on how hydrated the tortoise is.

If the symptoms persist, take him to the vet. When tortoises get ill it can take a while too show. It also takes them a while to kick any infections or bugs. I suppose worms cant be ruled out because you've only had him two weeks.

Give him a few days, and hopefully he'll be fine. If not, take him to see the vet.

Hope this helps.

Graham.

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hello Emily
I agree with Graham, it could all be down to the weather, you say he is under a tree, does he get any sunlight he needs some UV rays maybe it would be better if he was in the sun with part of his enclosure shaded,
Also watch he doesn't eat the leaves from the tree, What tree is it?
I'm not ruling out the white poo, as if my memory serves me correctly, someone had the same problem last year, but dammed if I can remember what the outcome was, if it happens again, save the poo and take it to be examined by your vet, it can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days whilst you make your appointment, I strongly advise extreme hygiene precautions though, while you do this. Plastic gag inside a plastic box and well away from food.
Arnie
P.S.
If you have time check the archives to see if you can find that mail about the white poo

#4 Guest_Merrill77_*

Guest_Merrill77_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks guys!
He seems a bit better today, he ate but still seems a bit sleepy, but I will keep an eye on him. When I put him under the tree its part shade and part sun, I don't like to leave him entirely in both. He's indoors today with his heat lamp and UV strip but I might put him out later. I'm going to bathe him too to see if he goes to the toilet.
I put him outside yesterday, came home and there was the biggest storm going on. I ran into the garden to bring him in feeling so guilty for him being out there and he looked like he was having the time of his life in the rain. He got a bit grumpy with me for bringing him in and drying him off!
My mum said I was panicing too much- she said he would have his off days like we do!
Thanks again for the reassurance and advice. I'm no expert but want to make sure he's being looked after properly.
Em

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hello Em
Glad he's a little better, that's good in part sun and shade.

So long as he is not in an area where the water, when it rains buids up and he has shelter, then yes lots of torts love the rain when it's been hot and will readily drink from puddles made by rain, rather than drink out of a dish
Arnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users