Behaviour

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_seesaw_*

Guest_seesaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

Hi all, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

My two tortoises are just under 2 years old, which means i dont know their gender.

In the past few weeks i have seen them mounting each other and chasing each other round the enclosure. They are constantly at it, which is quite amuzing. BUT WHAT DOES IS MEAN?

Are they both males?

If they are males, why are they mounting each other? Or should i name them rite said fred?

Would females also act like this as a juveniles?

Thanks in advance.

Graham.

#2 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

hi not sure i can throw any light on this but when i first started breeding tortoises in the eighties i used to keep my hatchlings indoors at night in a unit with a white smooth surface and when it got hot the young tortoises used to expose them selves and i could tell who was a male quite young and any mateing like activity was normally the young males with anything at any angle .nowadays my tortoises sex is determined by myself during incubation and you can tell if you ask the breeder they should know unless they have set temp for a mixed brood as i have done with my whitei in the past

terry

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

Sexing Torts by temperature during incubation is a known fact, but not 100% accurate.
What I am interested in is that you have some Whitei hatchlings, would love to see some photo's of them,
Arnie

#4 Guest_seesaw_*

Guest_seesaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hi Arnhi, what are Whitei Hatchlings?

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hello Graham
Whitei's are a breed of North African spur thighed tortoises, who were named after Gilbert White,
Females seemed to survive the English weather from years ago, but not many males, A friend of mine has some eggs in incubation, but I hadn't heard of any Whitei's hatching until Terry said he had some, that's why I would love to see them, they are not very common :-)
Arnie

#6 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

hi arnie im not sure how to post photos on this site, but you can find my photos under jersey tortoises in yahoo groups tortoise trust forum, the hatchling in the photo is lighter than some i have hatched normally they have a small dot which causes the radiation you see on some adults. i have 2 adult females i have bred from, and 3 young girls about 11 years i kept for breeding stock that are over a kilo and looking good .a word of warning if you should aqiure any hatchlings they need a lot of space and are very easily stressed ,when young they dont get on well with other sub-species of course thats just my opinion although i first bred them in 1989 and feel i have had some experience

terry

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hello Terry,
Will go and have a look, It's just I have a female Whitei who weighs in at 5000 grams+ but she is too old in my opinion to breed with, but a lovely natured tortoise
Arnie

#8 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hello Terry
Found the photo's but not the hatchling :-(
Arnie

#9 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:17 AM

Hi arnie, would love to see a picture of your whitei too!!

Vivienne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users