- - - - -

Bathing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

I bath Victor a couple of times a week, but he hates it & just tries to climb out. Is bathing really necessary? How can their skin soak up water? I've never seen him drink.

x(

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:17 PM

Hi Lin,

I never see my Boris drink in the bath, but the theory is that they can absorb some water through their cloaca. Bathing is very very important, even if you don't see them drink (some torts are very sneaky and will not drink when being watched). What are you bathing him in? It helps if they can't see out - a washing up bowl or a high sided kitty litter tray works well. When I first started bathing Boris he hated it too, but he quite likes it now, for about 15 minutes - then he starts to climb out. The added benefit (for us, not them) of baths is that they almost always wee and/or poo in the bath and that means there is less to clean out of the enclosure .

Nina

#3 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

After a nice warm bath my tort pip likes baby oil rubbed on his shell to make it shiny, plus it does'nt crack!:-)

#4 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:32 AM

After a nice warm bath my tort pip likes baby oil rubbed on his shell to make it shiny, plus it does'nt crack!:-)

please do not put oil on your tortoises shell, this is very bad for their shell, specially if they are housed outdoors, he'she will be baked, not a very nice thought :-(

linz

1.0.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)
0.0.3 marginated
0.0.2 redfoots

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:20 AM

I agree completely, nothing should be added to the torotise shell, if the tortoise is badly soiled and it won't come off with clean water then a tiny amount of gentle soap and a soft nail brush usually work, other than that nothing, oil of any kind, cooks when the tortoise is basking in the sun and forms a crust over the shell, which left to build up, can take years to remove it, the shell needs to be kept clean and clear of any substances to allow natural sunlight to warm it up.
I would use some gentle soap and a soft nail brush on this tortoise to make sure any previous oil is removed
Arnie

#6 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:26 AM

I agree completely - never oil your tortoises shell. Even if they are indoors, the oil on the shell prevents the natural process of heat transpiration and they find it hard to thermoregulate.

Nina

#7 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for these tips
If i had'nt of looked at your replys, he would of been baked and i would be crying my eyes out as i am 10 and young!:'(

#8 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:16 AM

That's OK, Georgie gal, lots of us are still learning about how to keep tortoises, and it's good that you're looking for good ways to keep your tortoise. Two really good sites for information on the care of tortoises are:
http://www.tlady.cla...Guide/index.htm
This has a guide to raising tortoises that you can download and print out.
And this site is good too:
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/
And of course this forum has good caresheets (just look at the list along the top of the page and click on Caresheets).

How old is your tortoise, and where do you keep him?

Nina

Nina

#9 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Hi nina
My tort is 7 and i feep him in the garden.
I want to build a tank in the house but my mum won't let me!:'(

#10 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

The garden is a great place for tortoises, so you're doing the right thing. Does he have a secure enclosure (so he can't escape and predators can't get in? Do you hibernate him in the winter?

Nina

#11 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

He lives in a big wooden, hand made box and a area to move with a little pond(not to deep)and a few flat rocks in a half shady and half sunny!

No animals get pip because he just hides in his shell.

I haven't had pip for a winter yet but Arnie told me to build a tank in my room if i liked.

By the way is it safe to put chickens and tortoises together because i am getting chickens soon.
What do you put on the floor of a wooden tank?

Georgiaxx:+

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

It sounds as if Pip has a very nice home in your garden. Can you post a picture of it? It's actually better if you call his indoor home a tortoise table, because if you say 'tank' people think of a glass box like a fish tank, and that's not good for them. In the second picture that Arnie posted you can see a really nice tortoise table. One of the easiest things to put on the floor of the table is a mixture of 50% topsoil (you can buy this at garden centres) and 50% playsand (which you can also get at garden centres or B&Q). You can also use hemp, which they like to burrow in. I have half of my indoor enclosure (which is a large rabbit cage) in hemp, and half in 50/50 topsoil and playsand, with an area of stones in between. That way the tortoise has lots of different textures to walk on. Here's a picture:
If you don't want to buy a rabbit cage or make a wooden tortoise table, you can use one of those large underbed storage drawers (they sell them in B&Q-type places for about 9 or 10, or even get an old bookcase that has a back on it, lie it on its back, and take the shelves out -- and you have a readymade tortoise table.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users