Any Hermann breeders in Scotland or North England?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pitcorthie_*

Guest_Pitcorthie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

Nobody seem's to know of any breeders in Scotland?
I am willing to travel if need be but the closer the better as I don't want to stress the tortoise too much.

What is the general opinion of Les Whites the Tortoise shop.com?

Thank you

Sharon

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:54 PM

I wish I knew as much about tortoises as he does.
You can buy most things from Les too, but if your hubby is good at DIY then it's as cheap to make one for you, the only thing I don't think Les sells, is the combined UV/basking lamp which would be an asset to you up there, but Aquatics online sell them, you want the Zoo Med 100 watt and the lamp holder, my babies have thrived under them, the beauty of them too, is when they go into an outdoor pen, you can get some chain and use them for that too.
Can I reccomend you use Aubiose for bedding, if you go to www.aubiose.co.uk contact them and they will tell you the nearest suppliers to you, the tortoises love it for bedding and a bale only costs about 8 and will last ages, it's a big bale :-)
Then you need Nutrabol and calcium powder and some hidaways and a slate or flat stone for the tortoise to eat off
http://www.tortoises.net is a good site to learn about rearing med torts in the UK
Arnie

#3 Guest_Pitcorthie_*

Guest_Pitcorthie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Arnie I have emailed aubiose for a nearest stockist.

What do you think of the tortoises on the Les White website?Is it ok to buy a tortoises from him?
I would rather a local breeder but having trouble finding anyone.

Sharon

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

Les's Hermann torts are bred by himself and yes there good, hopefully his waiting list is at it's lowest now, so you should get one quite quick,
Let us know how you get on, but I'll just ask someone I know if they have Hermann's that live in Scotland which would be nearer for the tort to travel
Arnie

#5 Guest_Pitcorthie_*

Guest_Pitcorthie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Arnie.I have found a breeder of horsfields in Perth which isn't far at all from me but I don't know if he is the breeder refered to in the post Breeders in Scotland if he is well then I had better stay away.

Sharon

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

I bought two lovely Hermanns (one of each sub species) from a breeder near Blairgowrie and had a good experience with him. If you are still looking I can e mail you phone number etc separately. He has a lot of experience of keeping tortoises in the Scottish climate. I now have a tiny amount of such experience!

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

Well done Jonathon, any chance you can put his e-mail address up to keep for future references
Arnie

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi Arnie and everyone else too.......Bob is not on the Internet or I don't think so, if people wish I can give his phone number to them but I don't think I should post on the site. So if anyone sends me a separate message I'll reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users