- - - - -

biting and nipping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pmkos_*

Guest_pmkos_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

My 3 year old male Hermann tortoise tends to bite family members' toes and has taken a liking to tormenting our poor Boxer dog. Rascal (the tortoise) has nipped our dog so severely that it has caused our dog to yelp and develop a real fear of this little guy. Our neighbor just purchased a female Hermann, and wouldn't you know that Rascal went right after her as well...biting her on the leg. He's even head butted my husband on the foot! He lifts his whole body and shell off the floor and flies into him. Is this normal behavior for this type of tortoise?:

#2 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

I do believe that individual tortoises have unique personality traits. Some are more placid than others. None of our Hermanns have bitten each other or showed aggression, but the differences in character are quite funny. George (male, 5) is a sulker, preferring to be left alone and takes the huff when his meal time is late.
Ringo (female, 4) is very placid, happy to bask all day, loves having the underside of her neck stroked and is the polar opposite of Grumpy George. I realise that you can't humanise animals, but there's different personalities. Some are laid back, others neurotic, others hyperactive :)

#3 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

My 3 year old male Hermann tortoise tends to bite family members' toes and has taken a liking to tormenting our poor Boxer dog. Rascal (the tortoise) has nipped our dog so severely that it has caused our dog to yelp and develop a real fear of this little guy. Our neighbor just purchased a female Hermann, and wouldn't you know that Rascal went right after her as well...biting her on the leg. He's even head butted my husband on the foot! He lifts his whole body and shell off the floor and flies into him. Is this normal behavior for this type of tortoise?:

please protect your dog from him even the most placid dog will defend himself if he has to
terry

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

I agree Terry the tortoise is showing natural sexual activity, biting and head butting, try scratching his back at the rear end and he should wiggle for you:-)
The dog doesn't understand, so please make sure the tortoise doesn't bite it again
Arnie

#5 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

[quote]
I agree Terry the tortoise is showing natural sexual activity, biting and head butting, try scratching his back at the rear end and he should wiggle for you:-)

Arnie

lol my ibera does he exact same, when i scratch her rear end, she loves to do it herself on the garden table leg too:7 ,, and she also loves fingers n toes lol

Posted Image

linz

hermanns
spur thighs(ibera)
marginated
redfoots

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)