Is Carla sick or stubborn? Please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a little worried about my "4 year-old" Hermann girl. This summer she hasn't really gained any weight. She doesn't wanna eat her healthy weeds, only bad stuff like fruit and tomatos. She's very spoiled and will rarely eat unless I hand-feed her. Sometimes she seems to forget that she doesn't wanna eat and act totally normal when I place the weeds in their enclosure. Other days she looks at me and walks away.

Today I was bathing her and her friend (Stelios - 3 year-old Hermann), and when she urinated her pee looked yellowish! Not clear or white. Am I getting paranoid?? She seems perfectly healthy: Clear eyes, nose and everything - I check her all the time.
Another thing, this summer while it was hot she was trying to escape the enclosure the whole time and seemed very annoyed with Stelios (who is a he) because he payed a little "interest" in her. But Stelios is not that bad - it hardly ever happens - still she seems mad at him and unhappy.

I'm worried about my little girl - Like I said she seems fine, and she's very active (not trying to escape anymore though). What can be the trouble with her?? As I write this I just placed fresh weeds in front of them and Stelios is eating and eating, but she isn't even sniffing them. It's stressing me out!! Is she sick??

Someone please help!

Nina

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi Nina

Is she warm enough? Sometimes they just won't eat because they are too cold. Also try not giving her any of the bad stuff. Just keep putting the weeds in daily. Rinse them under water first to keep them fresher a bit longer. She will eat eventually she won't starve herself she is probably just being stubborn :P

Oh also don't worry about her not putting on weight, as long as she is not losing any and matches in with the jackson ration she should be fine :D

Let us know how you get on.

Jade

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

Hello Nina
Normally the urates going yellow is due eating dandelions, but if she is not eating much then I would keep her hydrated, could be a slight kidney or bladder infection so the more she drinks the bettter it will be, the only way you are going to confirm this is buy taking her to the vets for a blood sample.
The good thing is like Jade said she's not losing weight, your absolutely sure that Carlos is not stressing her out and she feels threatened, loss of appetite is the first signs of stress and why a lot of males have to be removed from the females, in a confined place the girls can't escape.
Let us know how she is won't you, but definately give her a bath every day to see if the urates turn white again.
Your not over anxious your just a good Mum
Arnie

#4 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

Today Carla was happy to eat her weeds - I took her and Stelios out of the enclosure so that they could stroll around the entire garden (me keeping a very close watch!) and eat whatever they wanted. Carla really likes that and was more that happy to eat the healthy stuff.
Sometimes I think she is testing me - playing with me. She knows I get upset if she won't eat her weeds, and she has this nasty habit of wanting me to hand-feed her. I guess she's kinda clever ;-)

She seems fine, and I do keep her and Stelios warm. My garden enclosure is in a warm and sheltered spot.
Stelios is hardly ever trying anything on with her (he's still very young), but I know that when they get older I'll need to keep them apart.
In the beginning they were very good friends, they still are, but sometimes he seems to irritate her. She won't eat with him for instance. However, they ALWAYS sleep together even though there are loads of places to chose from.

I'll keep an eye on the colour of her urin - Anyways, her and Stelios have their yearly health check at the vets coming up soon.

Thanks you again - I do tend to worry to much about them ;-) But then again it's better to be safe than sorry!

Nina

#5 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Sounds a bit like the average marriage!:+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users