Breeding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jumpcert_*

Guest_jumpcert_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

We have two Hermans when we sourced them (from different breedersthey were hatched one in 2000 the other 2001) we did try to get a pair. I know sexing is difficult but we think we have got it right. For the last few months, even getting on to a year one of our hermans has been chasing and mounting the other one. When he does mount, he lets out a grunt/sweak, and you can actually see that he does release some fluid, whether it is seman I am not sure. The one thing I do know is that she? does not like it! He does not seem to leave her alone, even when eating. This goes on most of the day. Can anyone help???? Please let me know at what age do they breed?

Gary.

#2 Guest_ama24_*

Guest_ama24_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

hi sorry i cant help but i also have the same problem my male keeps mounting my female and he too squeaks as he pushes and secretes something wet but mine are only 3 and half but my female is huge and weighs 683 grams and my male of same age weighs 384 grams.i was told they wont breed untill they have beeen hibernated and they shud b about 7 years???? can anyone help with some advice please.i have found a course which you do online for 35 pound with the tortoise trust and am gonna enrole to get a diploma in tortoise husbandry but untill anyone no owt about this topic please :)

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hello Gary
They don't normally breed until after the age of 10/12 years old, it depends on size more than age, if they are being grown fast, they may breed early, but a female may be big enough on the outside, but she's not mature inside and it can lead to problems like infertile eggs or worse still, her not being able to pass the eggs, then you are in trouble.

Make sure the male doesn't pester her too much, to the point of her being stressed out, males can get quite nasty when mating and females get stressed, stop eating and withdraw into themselves, if this happens you may have to part them.
I keep my males and females in separate groups and put together for supervised matings, the boys get a bit frustrated, but tough, the girls are happy.
Arnie

#4 Guest_jumpcert_*

Guest_jumpcert_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Hi Arnie

Thanks for that, the female certianly has not gone off her food, they seem to be in very good health, She is larger than him, therefore puts him in his place! just like the humna race, and our wifes. This has been the first time for me using this forum, so thanks for the time you have given. How long have you had torts? how successful have you been with breeding them? I or we should I say have progressed from breeding snakes, then moved on to torts we just love them and want them to be happy, we figure that if they are happy then they will breed at some time.

very best wishes

Gary. :7

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hello Gary
About 15 years now, with help, I have successfully had quite a few babies, but due to health problems, I have stopped breeding till my health picks up.
Hopefully next year, there is nothing like the sight of opening that incubator and seeing a baby tortoise looking back at you :-)
Arnie

#6 Guest_Annie_*

Guest_Annie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

I recently went on holiday and left my male tortoise with a friend who thot it would be nice to put them in the same tank without thinking of them being different sex they are both four is there any chance they could have mated??

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Hello Toni
I would be more comcerned if they caught anything off each other, it is not advisable to put torts together until after a 6 month quarantine. The other thing that worries me is the mention of a tank.
Or was that a slip of the tongue :-)
As for mating it depends on how big they are, if the normal size about 300grams then no I doubt it
Arnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users