Has daisy got worms

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

Hi

Daisy had a very large poo tonight which was brownish green colour and seems to have had alot of tiny white worms in. She was wormed at the vets a week ago yesterday so is this them being cleared out of her system or will i need to go back to get her wormed again?
If i have to take her again, what causes worms??? Why have they come back?
Shes eating ok and doesnt seem poorly.

Annette :)

#2 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:44 PM

This happened with Victor. I think it is the worms being cleared out, but I think they are supposed to have two worming treatments. Victor had three because so many worms were present. x(

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hello Annette
Yes it's normal to see the worms after treatment that's why I always reccomend the torts are on either towels ot paper for a month, so that it can either be boil washed or threw away, that way they don't pick up any discarded eggs and start the cycle over again.
What sort of wormer did she have???
She's pooing so she must be eating, I think she has turned that corner :-)

Arnie

#4 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hi Boss

I rang the vet today and she asked if the worms were moving??!!! I said they werent so she said they could possibly just be clearing out of her system like you and Lin said. Not sure what the wormer was that she used. Am waiting for her to poo again so i can look at it but no poos today. She did look like she wanted to poo in her bath this morning as she seemed to be straining.
Shes eating well, is eating lettuce with calcium on and have ditched the tort food altogether. She wont eat dandelion leaves on their own yet tho but at least shes getting greens in her. I got that bagged salad mix that you recommended.

Am still waiting for my Hemp to arrive, i ordered it over a week and a half ago. Have chased it up but still no joy.

#5 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hi annette

As the others have said, they should have at leasat 2 worming treatments if worms are seen. The first kills the worms present however they will have laid eggs and so the 2nd dose will kill these. It may b necessry for a third if the infestation is bad.

The wormer is called panacur (think its spelt like this)

Jade

#6 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

Hi Jade

Spoke to vet and she wont worm her again till 2 weeks after 1st treatment so cant get it done till next mon at earliest. Vet said for me to ring her then and see how she is.
Shes eating ok etc

Hope you and your torts are ok
Annette :):P

#7 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hi Annette

Im not sure but i think its supposed to be about 3 weeks between anyway so dont worry.

Yes my torts are fine thank you. 3 are in the fridge and fedding my juvenile up as she is a little underweight at the mo

:)

Jade

#8 Guest_rockette_*

Guest_rockette_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hello Annette,

Sorry to butt in but where have you sent off for the 'hemp'? Is it from 'shelled warriors'? Would you mind letting me know if its the 'ambiouse' make when it arrives. (just because this is the one people are saying is best, no added citronella in that one.) Really want to get some for my tortoises.

Talking of worms! My tort Rocket passed a LARGE LIVE one in her poo last summer!!!! It was horrible, scared me half to death. Got advice about what to do from from Joy at the 'Tortoise Garden' in Cornwall. It was panacur she advised, two doses with a week in between. Did Timothy too to be on the safe side. Don't know how often they should be done though.

Anyway Annette it's really good news that your Daisy is picking up so well. You must have had a very worrying time of it. You can start to really enjoy her now.

Pam

#9 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hi Pam

Yes i ordered it from shelled warriors and it is the ambiouse that ive ordered so thats what i hope to get. I will confirm when it arrives. They arent very fast in dispatching though which is frustrating!!!

I totally adore my Daisy, shes the love of my life at the mo (which is upsetting my husband haha)

#10 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Arnie

You said that while Daisy was poorly to put a night heat lamp on at night, i was also putting a small heater on nearby on low as the house does get very cold during the night.
Should i continue doing this or did you just suggest this while she was poorly?
She seems to be better with the extra warmth but dont want to be overheating her.
The temp in the room at night is approx 20deg so its not too hot or too cold. Then she has her night heat lamp for extra warmth. What do you think?

#11 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

Its such good news Daisy is better :)

I would switch the lamp off at night now. Leave the background heat on if you want the temps can drop to about 10 degrees but doubt it would get that cold in a house. My room is about 20 degrees at night and my little tort is fast asleep :P

Jade

#12 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hi Jade

Thanks for the advice, i will do that tonight then, i will just have the small heater on. She is better but am just waiting for her to poo again so i can check for worms. She seems to be wanting to poo the last 2 days but cant. She seems to strain as if shes trying.
She only seems to eat lettuce though. I get the bag with mixed leaves so she has a variety. Shes still not into any outdoor weeds but we are getting there slowly.
Do you know what her weight should be for her age? Shes 1 year old.

#13 Guest_zenbird_*

Guest_zenbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi Annette,

So glad Daisy is getting better.

You can check the weight by using the Jackson Ratio.

There is a link at the top of the site page.

#14 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi Annette
I would keep her warm for 2 weeks after her last injection, then you will be ok to go back to room temps at night
You've done a grand job with her well done
Arnie

#15 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:48 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-12-06 AT 04:49 PM (GMT)]Regarding the shelled warriors shop.
At the moment Sarah, the owner is ill and isn't feeling up to doing a lot of things. Up until the present time the shelled warriors shop has been very efficent at dispatching goods, but as Sarah runs the shop single handedly there may be delays at the moment. :-)

Peter

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

#16 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for that peter, my stuff has just arrived actually. I thought it was strange it taking so long.

#17 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

Oh thats great news Annette. She always gets what you order out to you as soon as she can. I'm sure when she is feeling better the shop will be as efficent as it usually is. :-)

Peter

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

#18 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Arnie

Your advice is always excellent!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic