Urgent - Dying Hermanns tortoise

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:00 AM

My hermann's tortoise TT has been sick since today afternoon. He wasn't eating too well, and slept a lot before, and today it got much worse. He's shaking, and unable to move properly, looks like TT is having spasms.

After some research, I'm thinking it could be a herpes virus, or catching a cold, any other ideas?

I'll take TT to a vet tomorrow, and hopefully they'll have a cure for it.

I'm really worried about him, he doesn't seem to be in a good condition at all.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 Guest_zenbird_*

Guest_zenbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

I'm not an expert so can't help much, but make sure you keep him warm.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you soon.

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

Hi

I'm the same as Zenbird I'm afraid, def. make sure you keep the tort warm. Has it got a background heat in the room as well, like a radiator or something?

Keep bathing in warm water and dry it after as if it is a cold they can get dehydrated.

How long have you had the tortoise? Where did you get it from? is it a hermann? If it is with others make sure you separate it so if it has anything contagious it won't pass it on.

I am emailing Andy Highfield as we speak. He does a lot of work here and in the US. I know you're in Toronto but maybe he also knows a vet their in Canada for you to contact. Let you know asap.

Jade :)
P.s if the vet that you find decided to give it antibiotics make sure its something like ciprofoxacin/ofloxaxcin 10mg/kg every 48hrs which has very good results against pneumonia and gram-negative pathogens (virus) or enrofloxacin (baytril) 10mg/kg every 48 hrs for 10 days altho the latter is mainly used for respitatory problems.

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:57 AM

Hi

Andy got straight back to me and said you need to get your tort to a vet urgently. He has sent me links to tortoise vets in canada

http://www.arav.org/Members/Canada.htm

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist

Let us know how you get on. Fingers crossed

Jade

#5 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

Thank you Jade, I'm on my way to the Vet now, I've been awake all night with TT, he's still shaking up, and looks weak, I left the basking light on all night.

I'll keep you posted.

#6 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hi

Just wanted to say sorry about your tort. Its awful when they get poorly, daisy may wasnt to well the other week and i lost 6lbs in weight with worry.
I hope TT gets well soon, keep us posted and get him to the vets asap.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you both xx

Annette :)

#7 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:50 PM

Just came back from the vet, I left TT with them for the weekend, they'll give him fluid therapy and antibiotics.

The vet said TT is in a bad condition, it could be respiratory problems, lack of calcium or something else, they couldn't tell me exactly what it is. X-rays will be done to see the lungs, and organs.

TT lost a lot of weight, and still has spasms, and has hard time opening her eyes
I'm crossing my fingers that TT will get better.

#8 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise, and all of us here are pulling for TT to get better. Do keep us posted.

Nina

#9 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:59 AM

After some research, the spasms may be caused by lack of electrolyte, consequences of dehydration and eating disorder. Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Exo-Terra has a product called Electrolize and Electrodize (with D3). I'll try this when TT comes home.

Did anyone have similar issues? Or does anyone know how to feed them? Some people suggested put it in the water when soaking the tortoise, can I feed it directly?

Thanks,

#10 Guest_Dexieii_*

Guest_Dexieii_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:57 AM

I've no advice to add but just wanted you to know that i'm thinking of you and TT. I Hope and pray she pulls through.

Dex xx

#11 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Just got off the phone with the vet, they've done blood test, and white blood cell was a bit low, and calcium/phosphorus ratio wasn't good, but internal organs are fine.

TT will continue the treatments and she's coming home tomorrow night. I'll keep you guys updated of any change. I'd like to know at the end,
what the issue was and find out how to prevent it next time.

Thank you all for you support.

#12 Guest_rockette_*

Guest_rockette_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

Hope everything turns out well with your poorly tortoise.

Pam

#13 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

I'm so glad ur little tort is ok. little worried at one point :)
wishing u and the tort well :D

Jade

#14 Guest_craig_p72_*

Guest_craig_p72_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:17 PM

Jade,
Just to say well done on your advice and your quick thinking. Your fast actions certainly proved vital.
Cueboy, good luck with TT hope the treatment goes well,when you visit the uk remember to buy Jade a pint.
craig:) :)

#15 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

Haha, the pint is already on my to-do list next time I'm in UK, thank you again Jade and everyone who helped TT to go through the hard days.

TT is getting better, vet said TT is walking now, and has poo-ed. They'll do a fecal test for worms.

My question is how can I provide the best care once TT is home tonight? Should I use Electrolize by Exo-Terra that provde electrolyes?

I'll keep you all posted on any progress.

Thank you again.

#16 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

Great news about TT! She's obviously a real survivor. Keep us posted on her progress, but well done for getting her seen to so quickly - sounds like you literally saved her life.

Nina

#17 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hi

Great news on TT, bet you feel so releaved!! Hope all stays well and a full recovery is made. We are all thinking of you both

Annette :)

#18 Guest_rockette_*

Guest_rockette_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

Really pleased to hear that TT is getting better. You must have been so worried about her.

Pam

#19 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:13 AM

TT got home today, she was looking much better and can walk around, no more spasms.

The vet gave me Baytril, and I'll give her 0.1 cc once per day orally. Now, is there an easier way to open her mouth? the vet showed me to hold TT upside down and try to open it, but it's quite a challenge.

What about injections? Did anyone do it before successfully? Any suggestions are welcomed.

I'll be feeding TT's favorite foods, and put some calcium, vitamins and electrolytes in her drinks. Hopefully she'll get better soon and back on the right track.

I'll keep you guys posted on any change.

#20 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

Sounds like TT is making good progress, so well done! I think you should probably keep her temps nice and warm 24 hrs a day while she's receiving treatment (but Arnie will correct me if I'm wrong on this). And thanks for keeping us posted.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users