Breeding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nefertari_*

Guest_Nefertari_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

I have 2 babies, harry and hermione, they are 3 years old. Harry keeps biting Her feet nad head and I know this is a breeding ritual and have given her space to run away if she wants to What i need to knoe is what age do they brred. I have found stacks of info on how and what to do with eggs, hatchlings etc but nothing on the correct age to breed.:+ :+

#2 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

Breeding depends more on size than age. A slowly grown torotises will be about 10 yrs old before it can breed. Are you sure you have a male and a female and not 2 males. Pictures of them may be of help.
Peter

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield
0.1.0 Marginated

#3 Guest_Nefertari_*

Guest_Nefertari_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for reply, acording to thier certificate they were hatched 2002.

Harry is definately a boy and I had a female tortoise for 30 years and so Hermione is definitely a girl. The reptile centre we got them from said they would start breeding at 4 years old but I am concerned that she is not a s big as him although she is growing very well, perhaps I am being over worried, it could be 'teenage' hormones I suppose. i will take photos of them so yoy can see.

Regards
Christine

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

Hi

4 yrs old sounds very young for breeding. I have two older females (10 and 12yrs) and a 9yr old male. My females have both laid eggs once but none were fertile yet. If they are male and female then they may breed in the future but don't rush them to get big it will just cause problems in the future. I love the names by the way :)

Jade :)

#5 Guest_Nefertari_*

Guest_Nefertari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Hi Jade

Thanks for reply.

harry has been on her and squeaking today so I now know this is what he is up to.

Arnie thinks I should seperate them, I will admit I am a bit worried now, as what if she is 'pregnant'

regards

Christine

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hello Christine
My God the things these sales people will tell you to make a sale.
Think of them in human terms age wise, would you want a 4 year old child having a baby.
Even a young tortoise that is big maybe big enough on the outside, but not mature on the inside, you could cause major problems, I have a rehomer that proves this.
12 to 15 years is plenty soon enough for a female to start egg laying, if the male becomes too persistent in his wooing, then seperate them till she is old enough.
It's not an overnight thing, sorry and the slower a tort is ggrown the more healthier they are.
If your wanting to breed then why not adopt a female that is mature enough
Arnie

#7 Guest_Nefertari_*

Guest_Nefertari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hi Arnie
thanks for reply. Now I might be in trouble as today he was on her making sqeaking noises. yes I want them to breed but I am in no hurry. I had a tortoise for 30 years nad loved her so very much, but last year due to an accident with a lawnmower she was killed, my husband brought me these 2 babies as he felt so guilty, poor man he knew I adored her, I have cried more tears over her than over relations who have died. But now I have these 2 little ones I am not sure what to do. I have ordered some books today . What if she is 'pregnant' surely she is to small to lay the eggs.I was tols not to keep one as they need company whish is why we went and got the little girl as a friend for Harry
Any help is very much appreciated.:-(

#8 Guest_nick owen_*

Guest_nick owen_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

If four years old is too young for the little fella's I suppose its definately wrong that Mikey was mounting Milly Christmas Day this year and opening his mouth and sticking is tongue out, although there was no squeak from him(or what we think is a him). They hatched 2005. I didn't think this was anything to worry about as I thought they were both far too young... He gave up after a while anyway and hasn't done it since......must have been getting all romantic around the festive period!;-)

Nick.

#9 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

Hi Nefertari,

I was so sorry to hear how you lost your tort of 30 years. You must have been absolutely devastated! It's lovely that you now have new tortoises to lavish love and attention on, but I know too well how you can never replace a much loved pet. I lost a tiny little ibera last summer (she escaped from her outdoor enclosure and despite hundreds of hours on my stomach searching everywhere in the garden I never found her). I had many tears too, and am hoping that she dug down somewhere and will reappear in the spring.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users