Daisy has bladder stones

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hi
Just got daisy back after her x ray and she has 2 huge bladder stones. poor thing.
The vet cant treat her as she doesnt have the equipment but the vet im seeing on sat does. Feel awful for the poor tortoise, she looks so ill.
If anyone can help me on this one i would really appreciate it as i dont want her to die :D

Annette :D

#2 Guest_Annecaroline_*

Guest_Annecaroline_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

So sorry to hear about Daisy. My tort recently got diagnosed with pneumonia so I know how worrying it can be. She seems to be gradually getting there.

I do hope Daisy gets well soon.

Anne

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hi
Just got daisy back after her x ray and she has 2 huge bladder stones. poor thing.
The vet cant treat her as she doesnt have the equipment but the vet im seeing on sat does. Feel awful for the poor tortoise, she looks so ill.
If anyone can help me on this one i would really appreciate it as i dont want her to die :D

Hi Annette,

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm going to pm Arnie and see if he'll have a look-in today with any advice. Fingers crossed for a successful treatment and Daisy's quick recovery.

Nina

#4 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hi Nina

Hoped you'd read this as your help is always needed.
I emailed Arnie who has emailed me back with some advice. The only thing is it looks like Daisy could be put down if shes too little to operate on :D
The vet cant see me until sat so i have to wait til then. Im a total wreck as you can imagine.
The stones are quite large and the vet today said she wont be able to get them out herself. I feel awful for the poor tort, arnie said it could be down to the poor conditions she was in before i got her.
Great!!??

#5 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hi Annette,

I've just had a pm from Arnie to tell me you'd been in touch and he'd given advice. He also said that this would definitely be due to the treatment Daisy received prior to you getting her, You giving her plenty of baths could have moved them and brought it all out into the open, and if you hadn't done that the stones would have got bigger and bigger, till eventually Daisy would have either starved to death or it would squash one of her vital organs. This is another case of people and their pets suffering because of treatment a tortoise received at the hands of importers and petshops.

For others on this list who might be reading this message, a new group has just started up (it will be launched tomorrow), specifically to improve the conditions of tortoises living in the UK, to effect a ban on importation of tortoises from abroad, and to encourage the purchase of tortoises from reputable breeders here in the UK. You can visit their site at:
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
People from all the main tortoise groups are joining, and a list of breeders is currently being compiled, along with files showing indoor and outdoor enclosures, lists of edible plants (with pictures), and lots more. Do have a look at the site.

You must be absolutely devastated Annette, and I know that all of us here are praying for a good result for Daisy at the vets on Saturday. You have given her the best life she could possibly have had, and hopefully you have brought her problem to light soon enough for her to be cured and live a long and happy life.

Please let us know how you get on.

Nina

#6 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hi Nina

Thanks for your reply. I am so upset i feel like im in bits. I just feel so helpless and feel as tho saturday could be the last time i see daisy :D

Will keep you posted and thanks for your kind words

#7 Guest_rockette_*

Guest_rockette_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

Hello Annette,

Really sad to hear the news about Daisy having bladder stones. You must be feeling very upset. Lets hope that the vet you see on Saturday will beable to sort her out and make her better for you. I know you love her to bits and just to say that my thoughts are with you.

Pam

#8 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hi Annette.

Sorry to hear Daisy's not well, at least you're getting her the right care now :D

Wishing you both all the best - I hope she gets better soon.

Beth x

#9 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hi Annette, sorry to hear about little daisy, my fingers are crossed for saturday
Jo x

#10 Guest_kat86_*

Guest_kat86_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hi, I just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear about Daisy. It's always awful when one off your pets falls ill. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you both. I really hope everything goes ok.
Kat xx:-)

#11 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:56 PM

Hi
Thanks to everyone for th lovely messages. Ive told daisy you have all said such lovely things.
Good news is she has poo'd 1 stone out!!! Was awful to watch as she strained loads but 1 out so 1 to go.

She ate afterwards as if she hadnt eaten for 6 months which made me feel a bit happier. Shes gone to bed now as i think it was too much for her. Im hoping the other 1 will come out tomorrow.
Fingers crossed. Will keep you posted & thanks again for the support, you are all so lovely :D

Annette & Daisy :D

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

Oh Annette, that's brilliant! Sounds like Arnies advice is working (have you told him?). Fingers crossed that the second stone comes out too and that it's smooth sailing from then on.

Nina

#13 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

Annette so sorry to hear about Daisy's stones, your vet sounds very knowledgable tho, so you cant do any better for her. Sounds very promising tho that she has passed one.

Bet there arnt many of us that have seen stones, did it look just like a stone, how would we recognise one? Sorry for the questions just thought we might be able to learn something that not covered in many of the books etc.

Really hope all goes well for you and Daisy on Saturday.

Vivienne

#14 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hi

Thanks Nina & Viv. Yeah Nina, i emailed Arnie and told him.
I will take a photo of the stones and put them on here.
The 1 that came out just looks like a piece of gravel. Really bizarre!!!

The thing is she had oyster shell in her tort table that i bought from shelled warriors. It said its ok if torts eat it by accident. So part of me is wondering could this stone be a piece of oyster shell!!?? It looks very simialr. Will show the vet on sat and see what she says. I feel exhausted myself!!

#15 Guest_rockette_*

Guest_rockette_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

Hello Annette,

Thats really encouraging news that Daisy has managed to pass a stone. I'm so pleased about that.

How is she today? I really hope she manages to get out the other one out too. When you put the photo of the stone on you must tell us also what advice Arnie gave you, cause whatever it was it seems to be working!

Let us know any more news.

Best wishes

Pam

#16 Guest_annette_harris_*

Guest_annette_harris_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

Hi all

Latest update!!
Daisy passed another stone today but was very small so not sure if thats all of it.She goes to the vet tomorrow so will see what she says. Im going to try and take a photo of the xray and post it on here for you all to see along with the stones. Will have a go at that tonight.

Arnie told me to soak her in a bath for as long as possible and to put some K Y Jelly as far up her bum as possible with a tube (not easy) Arnie said to try and keep daisy in a bath with a heat mat under it all night, making sure she had something to rest her head on. This worried me a bit as i knew id not sleep leaving her like that. Anyway after a long bath and some jelly, she got a bit active, went for a walk and then began straining!! Its awful to watch cos theres nothing you can do. She strained for 10mins and finally she poo'd out a stone. This morning wasnt as bad cos the stone was smaller. Shes eating a bit better today too.

Will let you know what vet says and will tackle these photos tonight.
Thanks to everyone for your messages, it has been so lovely knowing you were all thinking of us.

Annette & Daisy (who has a sore bum) :D

#17 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hi Annette

That sounds like really good news :D !

Did Daisy look like this when she was passing her stones ...x( ? Poor thing! Sounds like she feels better for it anyway.

Arnie really does have some weird and wonderful advice, doesn't he?!

Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow, let us know.

Beth x

(And Franklin, Hebe and Hera x)

#18 Guest_rockette_*

Guest_rockette_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hello Annette,

I'm so glad about Daisy, both of you have had a very bad few days! Bet Daisy wondered when she would get off to bed, being kept up all night in the bath!! And I won't mention her poor little bum.

Honestly, what would we do without Arnies help.

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow. I'm sure Daisy must be feeling a lot better.

Pam (love to Daisy, saw her pic the other day and she is SO cute!) Take care Annette.

#19 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hiya, I just wanted to wish you loads of luck for tommorrow, it sounds as if she has done really well so far! so I am sure she will be fine! Poor little daisy (and poor you too, its so horrible watching somebody or something you love suffering) I am so glad she seems to be feeling a bit better already.
I bit she is also really happy that she came home with YOU it doesnt bare thinking about what might have happend to her if she hadnt!

#20 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

That's great news! You are a tortoise savior. I know what it feels like when they get sick, there's only so much we can do. I'm very happy for you and Daisy, I hope she'll get better soon.

Take care of yourself too, I almost got sick too when my TT was doing poorly.

Take care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users