Advice on ill Hermanns Tortoise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Timmy_*

Guest_Timmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Sunday 14th Jan 07 we bought a Hermanns Tortoise we spent 170.00 for the tortoise and 150 for the pen. All was well on Sunday evening when we picked it up! On monday we realised for the duration of the day timmy (tortoise) did not come out from his little hiding place! we had a look at him i noticed he has a weeping eye so we called the pet store located in a garden centre within cheshire area and asked if they could help in anyway they said not really! they told us with every tortoise you get a free check up at the vet! so tuesday 16th Jan 07 timmy was the same so we decided to book timmy in to the vet at 5:20pm! the young lady looked at him and said he has lost alot of weight his records show the follows 13th dec 06 = 139g .. 23rd dec 06 153g .. 8th jan 07 151g and 16th jan 07 139g ... she also said he had an eye infection which is caused by stress! fair enough! we were following instructions giving eye drops twice a day on wednesday he seamed to be more lively than the previous 2 days on thurday his eye was swollen and we just thought something is wrong so called the vet and he said bring timmy down! the vet said they will keep him in as he is small and not eating they wanted to keep him in! we were advised that he will need an xray, blood test... and may need an operating to have a feeding tube fitted to feed him this was for the sum of around 300.00 ... we spoke to vet today about timmy and he says hes very weak and the vet says he has worms .. the vet then asked us where did we get him from so we told him... and he now thinks the tortoise and others from the same shop are infected... we called the shop to inform them that we have been sold a poorly tortoise and they said its not there responsibility 'I was really anoid' they then turned round and said we cant help if you would have come to us we would have sorted him out... i said 'why tell us now'. why didnt you mention this when i called early in the week! I think its about money with them the animals welfare is not important! i feel i shouldnt pay for the vet bills as the vet said timmy would have been ill before we had him... im discusted that some of these pet stores can sell ill animals and not offer support! does anyone know if i can take this further? and who would i inform as there other tortoises are infected with worms and there going to continue selling these to other people! and who knows the supplier may have more infected tortoises and selling them to other pet stores! infection will grow.. many thanks for reading Colin

:'(

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Hi Colin

I'm afraid thats pet shops for you and im so sorry your little tort is poorly. Vets bill seem very high in the first place and the prices you paid for the tort an dthe house is very very high. Did they sell you a viv?

What you can do is report them to the police. also contat your local council and report them becuase it is against the law for them to sell you a poorly tort and somewhere in council rules it says about this apparently and they can even close them down for it so get on to them.

Jade

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hi Colin,

I'm so sorry that your little tortoise is ill, and that you have had such a bad experience. Jade has given you good advice. You could contact the Wildlife Officer from your local police, and the RSPCA. But the first thing I would do is get your vet to put in writing what he said to you: that the tortoise must have been ill when sold to you. I would then tell the manager of that petshop that you have this letter and that you intend to take matters further. I would demand that they pay for the vet bills.

You'll get a lot of support from people on this list, Colin, so do keep posting and let us know how things are going.

Nina

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

Hi

Just agreeing with Nina and also thought, its worth contacting the new tortoise protection group which has been set up as they will be very interested to know. i think there is a postin gon here somewhere but if not let me know and il give you their address :(

Jade

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

Here's the web site
http://pets.groups.y...ProtectionGroup

Don't give up hope on the little one yet, I'll post a photo of what they are going to do to feed him, looks a bit strange but the plaster is so it stays on, they cut a little hole in the side of the neck and insert a tube, this way they can eat too, the tube is strapped to the top of the shell and the tort is fed through the tube like prem babies are
Arnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users