Hello and Good afternoon

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

I have just got my first Hermann Tortoise, She is 18 months old.
I read up on the topics that I needed to prior to getting Ernie, I also bought her house and all the heat elements I needed prior too.
( I wanted her new house to be the right heat before she moved in).

She didn't eat yesterday - Is this a problem?

Can someone please tell me how often she should be handeled?

Cheers
Amy & Ernie! }>

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hi there

dont worry about her not eating at the moment. it took one of mine over a week to start eating, its just nerves of settlin ginto a new house.

You don't need to handle her as such but you can talk to her reguarly and she will begin to associate your voice with food etc :P

congratulations on the new tort btw. you'll have to post a pic so we can all see :)

Bathing her in the morning in warm water will also encourage her too eat :)

#3 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for your advise, Ernie was eating yesterday. Not too much but enough.

She had her first visit to the vets and he said she is very healthy.

As you may have worked out I am a bit of a novice, the breader I bought Ernie off advised me to use bark chipping in her house, but from looking at this most people advise soil and play sand. Can you please advise is this half and half? Do I mix the soil and sand or do I have 2 seperate areas with 1 half sand and 1 half soil?

She has her hide box, rock and all the correct heating elements. I just want to make I get things right!

Cheers
:)

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi Amy and Ernie, and welcome to the forum! And good on you for finding this forum and trying to give Ernie the best life possible. A really good site for information about tortoise keeping is:
http://www.tlady.cla...Guide/index.htm (it's a downloadable booklet and has lots of good information about accommodation, diet, etc.) But I'm sure you'll still have questions (we all do), so do ask and we'll do our best to answer.

A 50/50 mix of topsoil and playsand (don't use potting compost or ordinary sand) is good, and you can also use hemp (brand name aubiose and available from horse feed suppliers), as they love to bury in the hemp. My enclosure has soil/sand in one half (the hot half) and hemp in the sleeping half. You want to try and achieve temperatures of about 90F in the hot half and 70F in the cool half, and indoors you don't need any heat on at night. What sort of heat and UVB sources are you using?

As Jade said, Ernie is probably just settling in - and you don't want to feed him too much - just aim for slow growth of 1g - 3g a month. It would be great to see Ernie and his set-up.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#5 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for your advice, on the TLady site, it advises that you should use a towel for juveniles, but then I am also reading that the sand and soil is also an option. Can you please advise which is better in your opinions?

Also at what age will Ernie be classes as an Adult?

Cheers

#6 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Ernie is eating now, and looks very happy.

I have weighed her today and she is 67 grams. Can anyone advise if this is a healthy weight? Her plastron is 65mm.
The Jackson Ratio does not seem to start till 90mm.

Cheers

#7 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

Glad she's eating now. Here's a link to the Jackson Ratio for smaller ones:
http://upload4.posti...to_hosting.html

Nina

#8 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

Pics will be here soon :)

I have just bathed Ernie and he poo kinda looked like it came out in a bag. Is this normal? When she poo's in her house its normal and hard! Am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers

#9 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hi Amy and Ernie!

not quite sure what you mean by bag? could it be that maybe he wee'd at the same time and u were simply seeing the urates? post a poo pic!

#10 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hello,

Its okay we had another, the bag that I was refering to - was infact wee, so you was right. Thanks for all your help.

Could I also ask how much a 18 month old Hermann is supposed to eat? I give Ernie a selection of foods, that my Mum's partner quite happily grows for me, however she does not seem to eat too much. Normally only about 3 Dandilion leaves size a day - is this enough?

Cheers

#11 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:12 PM

Ernie, is on soil and sand 1 half and small bark on the other, I have been thinking of swapping the bark for Aspen. She has a Rock to bask on and also has lat pebbles that seperate the sand/soil to the bark.
Can anyone advise if I should swap the bark for aspen? She seems to like it but if Aspen is better for her I will swap.

Sorry for all these questions but I really want to get it right!

Cheers
:7

#12 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

Another Question if you would be so kind........

At the moment I am using a uvb tube and a heat lamp. I have been advised that a D3 lamp would be better.
What would this lamp replace? the tube or the heat lamp?

Cheers
Amy

#13 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hi Amy !

If you get a combined heat and UV lamp then it can replace both your UV tube and heat lamp. But this might not be necessary or better than what you have. If you have a good UV tube and you are providing the right temperature you maybe don't need a combined lamp at the moment anyway.

You asked about foods and there are lots of weeds that tortoises like and also garden plants. Here are some suitable ones

Plantain
Cats Ears
Fox and Cubs
Trefoils
Mallows
Annual and biennial wallflowers
Clovers
Strawberry leaf
Blackberry leaf
Raspberry leaf
Pansies
Nasturtians
Seedums

There are many others. A variety is good but some are favourites such as dandellion. Dandellion is really good because its got loads of calcium in it and torts always like it, flowers and stalks as well as leaves. A tortoise will select a healthy diet if we give them a good choice. Mostly they know if a plant is suitable to eat but indoors they may eat something just because we put it in the pen, especially if they nothing else to do.

In the warmer weather your tort will benefit from some time outside. Do you have anything suitable for outdoors?

#14 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hiya Ozric and thanks for your reply.

Yeah I have just bought a new house, (not just because of Ernie) The garden is nice and my partners mission for the up and coming weekends is to sort the outside living area.

Could you also advise if you use aspen?

Cheers
Amy

;-)

#15 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hi Amy,

Are you in the States or in the UK? The reason I ask is because I think more people in the States use aspen, and more people here use hemp (aubiose or hemcore). I believe they are similar, and I certainly know of a breeder in the States who has used aspen for years, and it's fine.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#16 Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*

Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

I'm in the states and you can't get hemp anywhere.
I've had to go to Aspen,,,which Moses seems to love. I also have a little section of soil/sand mix,,,as well as the bark chips. I've divided the area by flat river rocks,,,he just loves it!
I catch him handing out with his little feet hanging over the rock!
~~Lorrie :)

#17 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

I am in Chesterfield Derbyshire (UK). Thanks for all your comments. I am going to get some Aspen this weekend. I can't find hemp anywhere, unless someone knows where I can get some from?

Then like you Lorrie, I will have the 50/50, bark chips & Aspen. I also divide my areas with flat rocks and Ernie loves them.

She was in a climbing mood yesterday and was on top of her house when I got in from work, to my horror she slide off and ended up on her back. I bit my held out a little while (as I just wanted to help her) but she soon got back on her feet again, by using her legs and objects around her. This mad me feel on top of the world, cos I know that if she does do it when I am at work, she can bring herslf right! Pheeeewwwww!! :)

I think I just worry too much been a new Mum and all that!

I really appreciate all your comments they really have helped me & made me feel confident that Ernie has a good life. I will post pictures as soon as my camera is unpacked.

Thanks again!

Amy :)

#18 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

Hi Amy,

You can get hemp at horsefeed suppliers (I think a large bale costs about 7 or 8 and it will last for a very long time). Do you have a Countrywide near you? The one near me carries hemp (the brand names to look for are aubiose or hemcore - these are both safe and good quality). Here's a link to their website, which has a store locator;
http://www.countrywi...uk/pws/Home.ice

And here's a link to the aubiose people (it's best to phone them as I think they're not good at getting back to emails or phone messages. They could probably tell you who stocks it in your area:
http://www.aubiose.co.uk/

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#19 Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*

Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

Boy I know what you mean about wanting to jump in a right them. Isn't it the sickest feeling when you check on them and they are on their little backs?

Moses did this to me twice,,,once he righted himself,,,the other was in his water dish,,,I about died! Needless to say I took that out as it could be very dangerous. I give him a bath about everyday so he drinks plenty each day. When he gets a bit bigger I'll put it back in.

Have a great day!
~~Lorrie :)

#20 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for all your help again, I will get onto my local horse shops today. My friend is a manager in one so I should be laughing.

Can anyone advise if I can feed Ernie Dot leaves?

Cheers

Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users