- - - - -

Hello and Good afternoon

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for all your help again, I will get onto my local horse shops today. My friend is a manager in one so I should be laughing.

Can anyone advise if I can feed Ernie Dot leaves?

Cheers

Amy

That's great - Ernie will love the hemp. Do you mean dock leaves? No, they're no good for torts - but there's lots of dandelions, plantain, and bittercress around now - he'll love those.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#22 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

We leave a water dish in the table as our torts love to keep skipping across and dipping in and seeming to drink. What we do though is to put 2 size pieces of flat slate in so they can walk across, get their feet wet and yet not come to harm. then we bathe once a week but they still don't seem keen on that even after 10 months. Nice tepid water, in a large opague bowl. Ah well.

#23 Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*

Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

What a great idea about the slate,,,never thought of that! I'll have to give it a try when it gets a bit warmer here in Michigan. The water gets pretty chilly during the day.

I have no problems with Moses and his bath,,,he loves them. Does little doughnuts in the dish,,,to cute.

Nice picture of your tort,,,I'll try to post one of Moses when I figure out how!

~~Lorrie :)

#24 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hey again,

Can anyone advise why Ernie would have lost 7g's in a month? My friends and family beleive it is because her table is alot bigger than the VIV!!!??!! she was in the shop and she gets a lot more exersice now, but it is worrying me! She is eating normal and the vet advised that she didn't have worms! Does anyone agree with my Friends/Family, or do you think I ought to take her to the vets again?

Cheers
Amy :-(

#25 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hey again.... he he!

I caught Ernie, eating some of her poo yesterday! She had got nice fresh food available. Is this normal?

Cheers
Amy :S

#26 Guest_j_langrish_*

Guest_j_langrish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

Eating droppings is normal and wont do any harm but try to remove them rather than leave them for eating. The 7g weight loss, hmmm. I wouldn't worry just yet. It is possible that her original weight was taken before she had been to the loo. yes this could be 7g. and when you have weighed her this time she had just been. try to bathe before you weigh her and if she does poo then weigh her as this would give more accurate results. Of course your friends and family may be right. if the viv she was previously kept in was small she may have not been exericsing enough and actually was a bit on the fat side, and now with the better lifestyle is getting slim a fit ready for the olympics!:) Seriously though keep weighing her if she is eating well enough her weight will balance out to a nice one for her size. remember your supplements too!

#27 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for that - and yeah Ernie has her supplments. So there is no worry on that score.

Thanks again!

I do take them out as soon as I see them, but this one most have been deposited while I was at work and she was eating it on my return from work :)

Cheers
Amy

#28 Guest_j_langrish_*

Guest_j_langrish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

Remove them when your attending to them, theres no need to be checking all the time as it will do no harm and is apparently good for the gut bacteria. i have seen it compared to humans eating friendly bacteria. But a have also heard of torts that eat cat droppings which isn't a nice thought and probably very high in protein too. This is making me feel a bit sick, time to leave this one well alone I think,

#29 Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*

Guest_Amy_Ernie26_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

Ohhh Nasty!!!

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Amy

#30 Guest_Shergar_*

Guest_Shergar_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

Hiya

I'm another newbie but to share my brief experience, we leave food out everyday and Shergar has access to plants and weeds growing in the garden but she doesn't seem to eat everyday. With regard to handling, ours is quite anti-social actually but I make a point of picking her up every day and bathing her fairly frequently so we can check her over if nothing else and make sure there are no problems. I'm also completely fascinated by her and can't resist!

Jane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users