Female tortoise behaviour???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi, about a month ago I introduced two new female hermann tortoises to my little group. The older of the two (12yrs) seems to be sttling in really well. However the younger (9yrs) has started to harass my existing female. She bites her legs and seems to try and mate with her. I read somewhere online that this behaviour could mean she is gravid??? If so I would like to be prepared as I recently had some eggs from my exisiting female and I was caught totally off guard. Could there be any other reasons for this behaviour? Maybe she could be being territorial??? Any help greatly appreiciated.

#2 Guest_darran_*

Guest_darran_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hi, about a month ago I introduced two new female hermann tortoises to my little group. The older of the two (12yrs) seems to be sttling in really well. However the younger (9yrs) has started to harass my existing female. She bites her legs and seems to try and mate with her. I read somewhere online that this behaviour could mean she is gravid??? If so I would like to be prepared as I recently had some eggs from my exisiting female and I was caught totally off guard. Could there be any other reasons for this behaviour? Maybe she could be being territorial??? Any help greatly appreiciated.

Hi rebecca,
One of my older females trys to mount the other females a day or two before she lays.Only she does this no other females show this behaviour. Has this female been in contact with males in her previous home?. How long have you had her? Female tortoises can retain sperm for a couple of years. It's so late in the season though.
I know males fight/show aggression to other males to assert their dominance in a group.I am sure females do this also to sort out the pecking order.It sound as this is the case rather than her being gravid.
Darran

#3 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

Hi Darran

Thanks for your reply. She was in with her father in her last home but that is all I know about her past really. I have had her for a month and this behaviour is pretty new. It may be wirth mentioning that I am not in the uk and over here my torts are just gearing up for summer - they have been awake about 3-4 months now. Does thatchange your opinion at all? Thanks, Rebecca

#4 Guest_darran_*

Guest_darran_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hi Darran

Thanks for your reply. She was in with her father in her last home but that is all I know about her past really. I have had her for a month and this behaviour is pretty new. It may be wirth mentioning that I am not in the uk and over here my torts are just gearing up for summer - they have been awake about 3-4 months now. Does thatchange your opinion at all? Thanks, Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,
Yes it does change things. A male and female tortoise can breed regardless of their relationship(not your fault but this is wrong to allow this to happen). How big is your female?. They can lay eggs at about 13 cm.I would not breed a female until she was more like 15 / 16 cm which is the normal size. So if she is over 13cm then I would prepare for eggs.
Darran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users