So excited about our eggs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

I am so excited, we carefully held a torch to our eggs today to see if we could see anything ..... and we could :D In 2 of the eggs you could clearly see there was a little titchy tiny tort in there about 1cm big!!!!: :D
we couldnt see anything in the others but we didnt want to move them so they could have been more at the bottom!

4 1/2 weeks to go!!!!! :D

So any advice about VERY young hatchlings??
1. Do we get them out of the incubator AS SOON as they have hatched and put them in a minture tort table?
(I think we will use one of those guinea pig cages)
2. Are all the temps, lighting etc just the same for a newly hatched tort?
3. when can they go outside? I reckon we would just take the cage outside to keep them safe is this ok?
4. do they have any special requirements I need to find out about?
5. I take it we just start feeding them the same as our adults (but obviously not as much heehee)?
6. How long do they take to come out of their egg? is their any signs that are ready?
7. How early do we need to get the tort table set up? 8 weeks would be may 20!

I have a lot of researching to do aarrhhh!
I hope they hatch :D

#2 Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*

Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

Lisa

I know nothing about new torts,,,,but I have to say
HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see pictures!!!
~~Lorrie :)

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

Hi Lisa,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!. That's great news. I haven't had the experience of breeding tortoises and hatching eggs, but I've asked someone who has to come on the forum and answer your questions.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#4 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

Hi Lisa,

Congratulations on your eggs, it is exciting. One of mine piped yesterday and is just sitting in the egg with her nose stuck out, not unusual. Sometimes they're out of the egg before you know it and other times they sit in the egg for a few days finishing off absorbing the egg sac. This is why it is so important not to interfere, they will come out when they're ready. I've had eggs hatch from 58 days to 84 days, so if they're not out of the egg when you expect, please be patient.

When they hatch, bathe them in a saucer of warm water and continue to bathe daily. They might not eat for quite a few days, again don't be worried, they'll eat when they're ready. Please beware they often turn over in the early days, so ensure there is nothing under the lamp that will add to their chances of turning over under the lamp.

When they're young it's very easy to want to get them eating and build them up, 2g/month is more than enough weight gain for newly hatched tortoises, so try not to overfeed - it's tempting to try and build them up to give them a good start, but it isn't beneficial long term.

Other than that, they should be treated as any other young tortoises.

Lastly.........don't forget the camera

Fingers crossed for you it is a wonderful thing to experience, one that never passes no matter how many times you see it.

HTH
Darren

#5 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

Congratulations on your babies!!!

Bit of a silly question....

Do torts only breed at certain times of the year? Is there a 'tort season'? ie, are they only born at certain times of the year?

My reason for asking is I have one of 'those' torts (yes he's a refugee!!!) Before you judge - I fell into the same trap as many others!!!! Thats neither here nor there now, I am now more knowledgable!! Anyway, I got him last year and on his cert he was 4 yrs old. Just wanted to know roughly when he will be 5 or just to have his birthday as the day I gave him a new and better lease of life!!

Dawn

#6 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hi Dawn,

OY - I've never judged anyone badly who's bought a tortoise from a pet shop......ever. Most people who purchase tortoises from pet shops do so in good faith. We do need to get the message out there that perhaps a pet shop isn't, in just about every case, the best place to start.....as we've seen so many times. However, when the horse has already bolted (so to speak) we need to make the best of the situation and, of course, for the life of the tortoise.

With regards to egg-laying. Most tortoises lay within a couple of months of coming out of hibernation. The awakening from hibernation, stimulates the body into egg-production.

Some tortoises lay throughout the year, others will lay only once after coming out of hibernation.

Sorry this doesn't help to sort out roughly when he hatched.

I really hope you understand about the refugee bit.

Kind Regards
Darren

#7 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

Sorry, no offence taken and certainly none was ment by it - the refugee bit was a joke, its what I call him cos he's from Slovia - my sick sense of humour sorry if its offended anyone!!.

I went one better than a pet shop... a certain reptile centre in essex.. ooops! BUT, thank god I was a lucky one, Franks been healthy since day one so I got away with it!!! And I totally agree with spreading the message about where to get torts from and who not to!!! I have done and will continue to support this.

The fact that Im more knowledgeable is because of all the great help and support I've received on this forum - so keep up the good work everyone!!!!!!!! :)

As for Franks birthday, I will use the date I got him - 6th July.

Cheers

Dawn ;-)

#8 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hi Dawn,

Honestly............no offence taken at all.

Thanks for your support, it is greatly needed.

Good Luck with Frank I'm sure he has a wondeful home.

TC
Darren

#9 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi,
I got my oldest tort (the one which has now layed eggs) from that place too many years ago :-( we havent had any health problems with her but she does have a damaged beak :-(
Mine actually have wiltons uk as the breeder on the cert and nothing at all about slovenia (sp?) do you reckon she was still imported?
Thanks Lisa
p.s I couldnt hep but have one LAST look at the eggs last night with the torch and we saw a black patch in three of eggs :7 rather than two! I take it this would be a little tort and nothing else that we can see?

#10 Guest_kelly234_*

Guest_kelly234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

can you tell me at what age the are when they breed please has i have got a male and female aged 4 years can you help has i had pleasure of breeding other reptiles but complete novice to these the by the way my tortoise is hermanns thanks again

#11 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hi Kelly, I am afraid 4 years is BY FAR to young, if anything did happen then it would probably just damage her! Our Archie is 9 which is still really on the young age and I think ideally 13 years is probably the best age to start if you are going to.

Although your male might try to mount her, I wouldnt encourage it and if he doesnt leave her alone I would personally seperate them.

I am no expert though so I am sure that soembody on here will be able to answer your question in more detail.

also we have no bred our torts to sell but to keep, and Archie will not be laying anymore eggs for a while yet!

#12 Guest_kelly234_*

Guest_kelly234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

thankyou for your advice i,am very greatful

#13 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hi Kelly,

The ability to breed is more down to their size as opposed to their age. Around 15cm for a female (sometimes smaller, sometimes larger).

HTH
Darren

#14 Guest_kelly234_*

Guest_kelly234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

thankyou for advice really greatful

#15 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hi Kelly,