- - - - -

marigolds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hi all, hope everyone had a good bank holiday.:-) Please can someone tell me whether tortoises can eat marigolds and if so does it matter which variety? also with some of the edible plants on my list it says a certain variety after the plant name, does it matter if i use a different variety eg sedums(spectabilis)and campanula(c.carpatica)as cant get the variety specified.:-(
Am i the only one who finds this plant lark really confusing? just want to give my tortoise the largest range of plants possible.
nicky.

#2 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hi Nicky,
I know torts are allowed calendula- Theres a pic on this site... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula
I'm finding after about a year of trying to learn what my torts can and cannot eat, im finally just about getting to grips with it all :-) :-) It takes a while (well for me anyway) lol.
I have also had great luck with my petunias the last couple of days, I had em planted up for a month and only one grew out of 200 seeds, but checked them yesterday after ignoring them for a while and about 8 more have come up yay!!!
Jo x

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-05-07 AT 09:06 AM (GMT)]Hi Nicky,

There are two plants called marigold. Jo is right in that the marigold that is calendula is fine for torts (it's often called pot marigold), but the marigold that is tagetes (often called African marigold) is not good. You can google the two names, click on 'images' and see what they look like.
With some plants it does matter what the variety is. Most sedums are fine for torts (and sedum spectabile is excellent, but don't give too much of it as it can cause runny poos), but sedum acre is not good. As far as I know, all of the campanulas are OK.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#4 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hi Nina,

Thankyou for the advice.:-) I find the plants so confusing and the last thing i want to do is give him something poisonous but i also want to give him a good variety.I had better go and check which species of sedum i gave him, just in case.x( will also check on google.

nicky x

#5 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

Hi Jo,
Well done with the petunias.My torty run is planted up with pansys, petunias, mimulas, hostas,sedums,antirhinnans, geraniums and mallow but all he seems to like is mimulas and ate a tray of 12 in one sitting, very expensive taste, so i thought as he is bored of the other plants would try something else. I ordered the wild flower seed mix from herbiseed and have planted those( my husband was speechless when i told him that -his words-had spent 50 on a bag of weed seeds) so that will give a bit more variety.I will go on the site you recommended to get a pic of the calendulas and then go to the garden centre.
many thanks,
nicky x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users