- - - - -

edible food contradictions

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

I have been using the list of edible plants and weeds from the tlady site and thought the plants listed were safe. I then read either another site or views from people on this site and find that some of the plants can be harmful eg. certain sedums, cornflowers(leaves) and marigolds.One of the sites i read said that you can feed torts buttercups and dock leaves but that sounds dodgy to me. How do we know what to feed and what not when there is so much conflicting advice.x(

A very frustrated

nicky

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

www.sdturtle.org

If you go on the site above you will find their Plants That Poison list. Thsis is reckoned to be a good listing. Its highly unlikely that anything on the T-lady list is harmful.

Seedum Acre is thought to be toxic but no other seedums are, and there are really quite a lot of them.

Buttercup is considered toxic. Docks are not suitable and I don't think torts will eat them. Same for daisies.

A couple of points to bear in mind

- torts will carefully look and smell any leaf before eating and 99% of the time they get it right.

- in a pen outside with varied plants they will freely select suiable leaves to eat and ignore any harmful ones (better to remove them though)

- indoors on a table they might eat anything we put down if they are bored.

- only a few plants are very toxic, these include conifers, certain tree leaves and foxgloves.

- many keepers report torts being unharmed by the occasional nibble of a plant considered unstuitable if its just a small part of a diet that is overall good.

#3 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi ozric,

Thankyou for getting back to me. I have got a few seedums but not the seedum spectabilis which is recommended as cant get it over here but at least i now know that i can give my tort any except of course the seedum acre, although this one was in the set i bought, oops.

My torty enclosure is planted up with only the recommended plants but the birds often drop seeds in it from the bird table although it is nowhere near the enclosure, bit worried what will grow from the bird seed as cant find out if things like sunflowers are poisonous.

thanks again for your advice

nicky:-)

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

Sunflowers are fine as part of a varied diet, my hermann used to go mad for them (leaves not flowers) a few years back... He used to stretch his legs as far as he could and extend his neck to reach the best leaves it was so cute!!
Jo x

#5 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have been using the list of edible plants and weeds from the tlady site and thought the plants listed were safe. I then read either another site or views from people on this site and find that some of the plants can be harmful eg. certain sedums, cornflowers(leaves) and marigolds.One of the sites i read said that you can feed torts buttercups and dock leaves but that sounds dodgy to me. How do we know what to feed and what not when there is so much conflicting advice.x(

A very frustrated

nicky

Nickyt, this is what I'm finding, lots of conflicting advice and the list of weeds is as long a a week in jail! I've never heard of them, and alot of them look the same to me.

#6 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

I've been "googling" again and found this advice about what to give tortoises to eat, all the things I've just been told not to give. No wonder I'm confused.

Feeding:
Tortoises are almost always exclusively herbivores. Their diets usually consist of 100% plant origin. You can feed your tortoise vegetables like cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, chopped carrots and fruits like cucumber, tomato, apple, pear and pineapple. Do keep in mind however, that fruit should be used sparingly because over consumption can lead to high levels of sugar in the intestine and result in colic.

#7 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

What site was that, Caroline? It is definitely wrong for mediterranean torts, although tropical torts can eat some fruit. Lettuce is not harmful but it has almost no nourishment in it, cabbage and other members of the brassica family contain oxalic acid, which inhibits the take-up of calcium for the tort's bones - they are not toxic, but definitely not good in any quantity. Carrots can be fed on rare occasions. Cucumber, like lettuce, has no nourishment, but torts love it and it is useful to feed on very hot days to keep them hydrated or to give medicine on. Tomato, apple, pear, and pineapple are definitely out. The reason for this is that mediterranean tortoises (hermanns, russians, greeks, etc.) have digestive systems that are not designed to cope with fruit, and it can cause a bloom of the wrong sort of flora in their gut. I know it's incredibly confusing, because there are a lot of sites giving the wrong information. It's best to stick with the advice of the Tortoise Trust:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/
The TLady site:
http://www.tlady.cla...Guide/index.htm
and the tortoise house site:
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#8 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

Lepinsky, I've just looked for the site and this was the address

www.onlinebangalore.com/life/pets/tortoise.html

Bangalore? That's in India.

When my wee Lottie went off her food, The Tortoise trust was one of fours sites I emaialed and none got back to me so I was very disappointed in that. I feel really bad that I've been plodding along giving lots of attention and love to them but feeding them the wrong food. The breeder I got them from said I'm doing all the right things.

When I got the baby, I took Cookie with me for her MOT, I got her from the same breeder so he was happy to see her again and said she was very well, so I'm even more confused now.

I took a list of the plants with me and a list of my own questions, he told me I should stop reading things on the net as I only get upset and that everything I was doing was ok, and also that the list of plants was only to get me to buy them from people who want to make money. I've looked at them and alot look the same to me (maybe I'm daft) but how the heck would I know what tp pick other than dandelion leaves? :(

#9 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

Not sure if that was clear - I've had Cookie for 5 yrs and got her from the same breeder as the baby one Lottie, who I have had 3 months now.

#10 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

At least im not the only one getting confused over what is ok and what isnt. I know i cant feed my torty fruit and veg but when i took him to the vets because he has trouble walking( see torty has gone lame) the vet told me to feed him lots of fruit and vegx(

I have planted up the enclosure with nearly all the plants listed on the tlady site and i also ordered the seed from herbiseed, my husband was speechless when he found out i had spent 50 on "weed seeds":P

I dont know what i would do without this site for help and advice and it is great being able to get in touch with other tortoise keepers.

Thankyou to everyone who has given me really good advice over the last few weeks.:-)
nicky

#11 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Nickyt I totally agree with you. I only discovered this site today and I am really pleased, I get really worried from time to time in case I'm doing something wrong and it's great to know I can come on here and ask questions. I've just ordered some seeds too :(

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hi Caroline,

I checked out that Bangalore site, and it's full of misinformation. Number 1 says that torts live a long time - up to 25 years. Well, they might live 25 years if they're lucky on the diet they recommend, but tortoises should live until at least 100, and more if they're from the larger breeds.
Why not go out and buy an inexpensive guide to wildflowers? The bookshops have a huge selection and they will have photos of all the weeds you need for your tortoises (and you can take it with you when you're out). I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have more weeds than you think in your own garden. I've got plantain, sowthistle, dandelions, and quite a few more. And you can also google the name of a weed, and then click on Images, and you'll see a good selection of photos of the weed.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#13 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

Nina, you see how it's been so confusing? The breeder I got my two from tells me to STOP reading from the net and ask him, but to be honest, in February of this year when I got my wee one from him he told me the diet I was giving my older one was ok but as long as it's varied. I told him everything I feed her and he said it was ok ??? I thougth I was doing well and worrying for nothing but then I realise most of what I've been feeding her is wrong.

I'd be so upset if I harmed her quality of life, but it's been as a result of total confusion and not for the want of trying and lots of love.

I have actually printed out some photos now and was very pleased with myself in finding Plantains last night, the wee one scoffed it this morning but Cookie picked at it then went off to sleep ( I think she's wondering where her usual food is) but I know I'll have to wean her off all that.

The only worry I might have is that some of the weeds/plants look similar to others so I hope I don't oick the wrong thing. Do they eat the stems, leaves and flowers?

#14 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

lol i have had mine for 2 weeks now, i must admit i had not prepared aswell as i should have but this forum and everyone on it have actually helped me sort out so many things!! now my domino is looking great and very happy

#15 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Andrew, I've wanted a tortoise for years since I had one when I was a wee girl. Like you, I wish I'd been alot more prepared. I did get some information with her and certificates etc but with regard to lighting / food / do's and dont's I should have been given the "third degree" to make sure I was ready for them.

I worry now that all the feeding has been detrimental to Cookie (my older one). I've emailed someone from Ladyt site for seeds (twice) but she hasn't got back to me yet.

#16 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

i must say, i am really glad this forum is here right now. i have looked on other forums and they are rubbish. they dont have any information or anyting on them. if this website wasn't here, my domino would be a right mess by now.

#17 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've been excited since I discovered this... haha!

Saying that I've also been worried that I've not done all the things I should have been doing. I'm hoping that I can right things in time.

#18 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

Hi Caroline, you are not the only one this has happend to! so many people on here come and say the same thing!
I brought my first tortoise about 9 years ago from the dreaded petshop at basildon, I took their advice - keep it in a viv feed it fruit and veg etc, I brought a couple of books about torts aswell to help me along the way (they said the same thing as the pet shop x( )
She was like this for more than a few years! Thankfully this has all changed now and she and the others are so much happier.
I still keep looking at the pictures on the Tladys website to help refresh my memory of what they can eat, especially as most things are not out all year so by the next year I forget they can eat it lol
Thankfully we have a HUGE garden and we can find more than enough weeds to feed them - which is a good thing with our 5 new additions:-) .
Try not to worry yourself, the main thing is that you are sorting it now. The advice on here is fantastic, I wouldnt be with out this site!

#19 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

Hi Lisa, you've no idea how much better that makes me feel. I adore my babies and have lost sleep over worrying, which I actually don't mind admitting to when I see how some pet owners (cats and dogs etc) treat their animals, at least I am trying to make things as good as I can.

I went out walking today with a flippin load of print outs from the Ladyt site to see if I could find any weeds. I came home and washed them all, laid them out on a tray and checked them again on the site to make sure. I chopped them up and hey presto - they devoured them :-) I felt really relieved.

Am I right in saying they wouldn't eat anything that was not good for them? If I picked something that might not be right would they ignore it?

Thanks again.

(I feel like a tortoise nerd now)....... but I love it.

#20 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

I think I meant to say Tlady !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users