- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_busybee_*

Guest_busybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

The main thing is that you know you will do the right thing by them now. We all make mistakes. I knew I had to buy a captive bred tortoise and not an imported one and thought I was doing the right thing by getting one from a so called breeder who said they were captive bred. But when I checked the certificate it said slovenia. I wasn't best pleased as you can imagine but I couldn't part from him/her now.

If the wee one is eating again then thats good. Don't beat yourself up about it but its worth warning other people about this breeder. I also live in Scotland and know how hard it is to find a breeder.

Fran

#22 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

I've just checked both certificates and they both say country of origin is the UK. I take that means they are not imported?

#23 Guest_busybee_*

Guest_busybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

Yes they are uk bred. Thats good!!! Unfortunately mine says Slovenia.

#24 Guest_busybee_*

Guest_busybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Can I ask Caroline what colour the certificate is. They are supposed to be yellow. I have read other people realising that there's isn't. If you still weren't sure about the breeder you could always contact DEFRA who issue the certificates to check it out.

#25 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

The first one is white for the tortoise I got 5 yrs ago, the other one is yellow for the one I got 3 months ago. Maybe I should do as you say and contact DEFRA.

#26 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

hi i understand you have been advised to feed your tortoises supermarket greens and such this is terrible advise as im sure you will realise when you compare a juvenile that has been raised in this way and one that has been kept outdoors and fed weeds with access to natural graze i breed more than one type of tortoise but i do breed hermans and have raised them to breeding age i have some eggs incubateing now from a female i hatched myself here is a photo of a sub-adult female hermans i hatched and raised in this way.
terry
Posted Image

#27 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

Terry, what a lovely photo, a very happy tortoise.

My older one is 7 in August and has a lumpy shell but I still think she's gorgeous. I feel so bad now since I started on the forum and read all the good (proper) advice. I sat and cried last night looking at my two and thinking it was all my fault that they haven't has the start they deserved, but I took the advice of the breeder who I got them from. He did, in all fairness to him, give me caresheets and speak to me anytime on the phone but he didn't STRESS the importance of certain things like UVB lighting (he said he doesn't use it)!! He did say dandelion leaves are very good but told me (when I went in Feb to get another one) that the list of weeds from the site was just people trying to get money from me.

I wasn't aware that you could find these around gardens etc and had no clue what to look for but surely he could have advised me better.

When my wee one Lottie ( 3 and a half) stopped eating, I lost sleep thinking she was going to die.

I kind of blame myself for not being as prepared as I should have been but he told me to use a 40watt bulb for heat and a heat mat 24 hrs a day.

I've been so confused since I joined here but thank god I did.

I just hope I can make right the things that might be wrong so far.
I hiope my older one, Cookie, hasn't got MBD...... I'd never forgive myself.

Thank you for your advice.

#28 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Hi Caroline,

Don't beat yourself up too much about this - most of us have been in the same position as you. You're doing the right thing by your tortoise now, and I'm sure you'll give them both a good home. There are two things you could do now to help put your mind at rest. Read the advice given by the TLady in her guide to keeping mediterranean tortoises (it's a downloadable booklet, and I can guarantee that the advice is there is recognised as being good):
http://www.tlady.cla...Guide/index.htm
and for peace of mind you could take samples of poo to a vet and ask them to send it off to be analysed for worms and other parasites. If your tort is UK bred then there's a good chance that it doesn't have worms, but if you want to make sure you could do that.
And just keep asking lots of questions - we always say that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, and even the mosts experienced keepers still have questions.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#29 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Nina, thank you for that, at least I know other people have had similar experiences, though I might just be lucky as mine are both of UK origin. I've never seen anything untoward in the poo, I do check it. Though the baby hasn't done a proper solid poo for a few days now.

Do you know, at what age are they classed as juvenile and adult?

#30 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi Caroline,

You will only see worms in the poo if they have an extremely heavy load of them. Otherwise the only thing that shows up in the poo is eggs, and they can only be detected with a microscope (and you also need a microscope to see protozoa).

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#31 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Today Lottie had a really good poo, I've never been so happy to see a tortoise poo :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users