worried

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollyj_*

Guest_hollyj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:22 PM

second worry, i have only my torts for a few days now when i put the outside they loved it but the male one keeps sniffing out toad stools that grow in my wood chipping at the side of my house. he finds them before i do. is it ok for them to eat them or not cant find anything on the internet. if i put him at one end of the garden them he runs straight tot he wood chippings to look for them and we have a pretty big garden.
thanks

#2 Guest_BUDHA_*

Guest_BUDHA_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hi I am not to sure about toadstools are some not poisonous to even humans? All i can suggest is that you pen them off or put something in their way to stop them getting to them it would be sad if they became ill because of the toadstools Kerry zippy and bungle xxx

#3 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:41 AM

hey i think Kerry is right here. Try to keep them away from that area. They should really be enclosed outside anyway, as although its not nice, we have heard some nasty stories recently about birds and foxes.

You'll probably find that he is more interested in the smell than actually taking a nibble, but best to be safe than sorry!

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

If possible remove fingi from the area. Not all are poisonous but there are thousands of species in the UK and identification is difficult for all but the most common. Not all fungi are poisonous to all torts.

A site called Schildifutter which is German does have some information about fungi and tort feeding. Its got English translation on it. If using this site take care to understand the system on it.

There is also a site sdturtle.org which has a 'plants that poison ' list (but no pictures).

Sorry I haven't given the precise addresse but if you search you should get them.

#5 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

hi holly, you could do the simplest thing and buy an outdoor enclosure (link is below) for the tortoises. this will separate them from any dangerous fungi. all you need to do is put up sheets of wood around the edges so they cant see out and your sorted.

http://www.thetortoi...details/73.html

sorry i just noticed the price of that one but you can go into pet shops and buy a cheaper one if you wanted too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users