- - - - -

first time out all night

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

I am going to leave sheldon out all night in his enclosure for the first time tonight as it is so hot,i really hope he will be ok.My husband thinks i wont get any sleep.I have put padlocks on the lids of his enclosure as it has three lids with it being quite big and i dont want anything to get in,a bit over the top maybe but would rather be safe than sorry,so here goes,fingers crossed.:)

nicky:-) :-)

hope im still smiling tomorrow.:)

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

He/she will be fine. Just remember, whilst you're sitting up all night fretting, pacing and checking out the window (Oh yes you will!!! Trust me!!!! :) ) Sheldon will be out there fast asleep dreaming sweet nothings without a care in the world!!!

Been there, seen it, done it, got the t-shirt............

;-) :) :7

#3 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

i feel such a drama queen but i am really worried.At least its a comfort knowing other people have been through this and know how i feel.

cheers

nicky;)

#4 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

Aww, enjoy your first night out Sheldon, sweet dreams xx

#5 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

Hope Sheldon had a good night x :-)

Dandelion and Burdock have been outside for 4 nights now and loving it :+

Their enclosure is totally secure as is the garden itself but I made my hubby turn one of the security cameras on to the enclosure so instead of me popping in and out everytime I hear as noise through the night I can just turn the tv on and check.

The safety of my little babies is much more important than his garage full of tools. tee hee.

Dreading the mood they will both be in when I have to bring them inside when the weather changes

:-(

We have nearly got the electric set up to provide heat in the outside enclosure, does anyone have any suggestions as what to use????

Many thanks,
Sam, Dandelion and Burdock xxx

#6 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies.Sheldon was fine outside last:7 thank goodness.
A bit unsure what too do when the weaher changes as forcast for tomorrow-heavy rain and strong winds.He has got a little house with a felt waterproof roof but no heating or lights.Would anyone recommend bringing him back inside until the bad weather has past?
would be grateful for all suggestions:P

cheers,
nicky;)

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hi I am at this stage as well. I have a cold frame plus a very small hut and want to put some heat into the hut to take the chill off on cooler days and nights. I have a good quality thermostat and plan to use either a ceramic heat emitter in a suitable ceramic holder or a lower powered red heat bulb. I have to do a bit of testing to see what works best as its quite a small space and I don't want the heat blasting out, it needs to be just enough to keep the little hut at 12C or so, otherwise the lazy torts will just sit in the dark soaking up the heat instead of going outside. I've also seen it suggested that a heat mat on the roof can work. I think its important to have a thermostat on whatever appliance. There also tube heaters but I found these were all too lomg for the space I have.

#8 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

I dont really know what to do for the best as his little shelter is really small to make him feel secure,he didnt even go in it last night,i found him this morning in the same place he was in last night,in the flowers,a bit worrying really.
I cant really put any heat in it as the roof is too low and also the power cable would get wet.
I would put photos on to show you what i mean and to show you his enclosure but i dont know how to.They are on my computer but that is as far as i have got with them.
I think i will have to put him back inside and wait for the bad weather to pass which is a shame-any ideas?

nicky:)

#9 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hi ya,

Just my opinion but I would say unless its a really young tort then I would just leave him/her outside. If you make sure that the bedding in his hut is something that he can bury down in (ie hemp) then if he gets chilly he will naturally bury down. Maybe put some shredded paper in their as well as thats quite insulating then he can just tuck himself under it. Afterall, in the wild he would be out all night without a heat source. (and yes the temps do drop low where they come from).

You will find that if its a bit chilly during the day they will just stay tucked up in bed but as soon as it warms up they will come out and explore. Plus don't forget if this is the first time they have been outside its a whole new experience for them - just like when you bring them home - for the first few days/weeks until they settle they dont eat or do much. So dont give in, get him back out there and be strong, its so much better for them.

With regards to the rain, Frank comes out in the rain and wonders around - he quite likes it!!!

They are quite sensible in the fact that if the weathers not very good, they will do just what we would - stay indoors :)

If you would feel happier then in the evening when tort is going to bed, pick him up and put him inside his hut - he will soon associate this as where he sleeps, then after a few days (or weeks depending on how stuborn he is!!!!) you will find that he will go in and out himself. I had to do this to start with.

OO-ER!!!!!! Sorry if thats a bit long winded!!!!!!

If you need advice on how to put photos on, let me know and I'll tell you - its actually quite easy once you know how....

take care

#10 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

hi dawn,

thankyou for your advice,much appreciated,i'm such a stress head :) but as new to this torty lark need all the advice i can get.
I have moved sheldon back in as he wasnt moving so gave him a bath and settled him down under his lamp but will put him back out tomorrow,although temp tomorrow will only be 59f with rain.

poor sheldon will not know whether he is coming or goingx( i think i need to lighten up a bit.

now i,m going on a bit!!!!!!!!!!sorry

Could you please explain how to post photos,i have got photobucket on my laptop if that helps.

thanks

nicky;)

#11 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

Oh Nicky

I also wimped out about an hour ago and brought Dandelion and Burdock in.
I noticed they hadnt been as active today and the food Id put out hadnt been touched (probably ate too much of the stuff thats growing out there) Got myself all worked up that I'd neglected them, brought them in, bathed them, tickled and stroked them etc then came to catch up on the forum to find we'de both chickened it, lol :+

Thank you Dawn after reading your very 'practical' advice ( the same as my hubby keeps telling me, but coming from you I will beleive it) I feel much better and they are on their way back outside as we speak.

Gosh I do so worry :-) :+ :-(

x Sam, and the little ones

#12 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:20 PM

Hi sam,
you made me giggle.:7 Its such a relief to read that i am not the only one bringing my poor tortoise in and out,poor thing is so confused,not that i have asked him:P All i want is to do the best for him but the main problem is the british (manx) summertime,the weather doesnt know if it is coming or going,ahhhhx(

nicky(as confused as the weather):-) :+ :)

#13 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hi Sam and Nicky,

Blimey! What are you two like....actually I know exactly what you're like as I was exactly the same last year!!!!!!!! :)

OK, trust me, put them outside they will be so much better for it. Just make sure that your enclosure is secure then you know that you will have nothing to worry about!!! As far as temps outside, I have just been on to a weather forecast, and in Solvenia in all 5 of their cities/main towns it is an average night temp of 14 degrees, and during the day they are having heavy rain/thunderstorms!!!!! So if your baby, like mine, is from there thats what they would be outside in at this very moment, only they wouldn't have someone lovenly worrying about them!!! ;-)

Photos, rather than type it all out again, if you scroll down the main page to about the 30th posting titled 'Pictures' (about half way down) I have posted on there (4th response) how to put the photos on. Its because the files are too big. Post back if your still having probs, or if you want, email me them privatly and I will post them for you.

#14 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hi Dawn,
I know, i am being pathetic and want to wrap sheldon up in cotton wool:P but not sure how hardy tortys are, i have put him back outside in his little hut,his enclosure is really secure,will try to post the photos using your instructions.
Thanks for your advice,will try not to panic at the slightest drop of rain :)

nicky:-)

#15 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-06-07 AT 07:35 PM (GMT)]hopefully there will be a photo at the bottom of this message of sheldon and his enclosure:P
Here goes!!!!!!

Posted Image

#16 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:45 PM

Hi dawn,

weyhey it worked.Here are the photos of his enclosure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

what do you think.Anyone elses comments welcome:-)

nicky

#17 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

WOW! What an eyecatching enclosure - so many colours!!! Well done you!

I don't know why your worrying - from what I can see you're doing fine, have confidence in yourself and be proud!!!!!

Sheldon's gorgous, is 'he' a male or female? How old?

I'm afraid you have to put up with just my comments - don't know where everyone else has gone.... :)

#18 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thankyou for your nice comments.Do you think his little house is ok for him,it is water proof as has roofing felt on it but you can see why i cant put heat or lights in it.Sheldon is 5 years old but until i got him had only been fed lettace so he has been a challenge because his front legs dont work properly but he is getting better and as you can see he doesnt eat lettace anymore.

nicky;)

#19 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

I think his hut is fine, I've got a simular one, only difference being mines got a door on it, but I don't close it unless it's really chilly at night, but haven't needed to do that since beginning of May when Frank first went out. But size wise it's fine, I haven't got any heat or light outside. Last year I was really worried about it but the temps aren't gonna get that low now. It would be different if they were out all year round or you live right up north. As long as they have a nice deep bed to bury down in they will be fine - don't forget what I said about the temps/weather in their home country!

He's the same age as my Frank. I think at their age they are tougher than you think, as I said before, if your torts under a year then yes, you have to be a bit more careful with them.

You're doing a good job, keep it up and he'll be fine ;-)

#20 Guest_BUDHA_*

Guest_BUDHA_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

Wow what a beauty!! He is gorgeous!!! and your enclosure is great too!! I am going to try and get a nice enclosure built for my to munsters and i think any tortoise would love to be in Sheldons patch!! Kerry Zippy and Bungle xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users