Eating Stones.....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cath777_*

Guest_cath777_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

Hi
I have a 10 month old hermann who has decided that he really wants to eat stones!
I have an outside enclosure for him which is planted up for him and has a clover area, wild flower are, play sand/soil area.
The problem is he digs in the soil area just looking for tiny little stones to eat.
I am sure they are not good for him but wanted to check on here just in case is was some indication that perhaps he was lacking something in his diet.
If it's the case that he MUST not eat them then I am going to have hours of fun digging trying to find them all before he does!
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Cath

#2 Guest_lou lou_*

Guest_lou lou_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hopefully some1 else will answer this post but Im sure its not safe for your tort to eat stones. I have heard about torts eating soil and I think this is something to do with the calcium in soil.
Do you use nutrabol?

#3 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-06-07 AT 07:07 PM (GMT)]eating a few tiny pebbles wont do him any harm but dont let him eat too many, he is trying to get the calcium. if he doesnt like the nutrobol which mine HATE, then get a cuttlefish bone and a tiny cheese grater and just grate some over the food.

i caught my matrix eating cat poo yesterday :)

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

My horsfield has a liking for small pebbles too. Sometimes they eat stones because they need the minerals/calcium, but sometimes it's just curiosity. A few small stones will pass through and come out with the poo, but if he eats too many it could cause impaction. Last year I sifted the top layer of soil in Boris's enclosure and got rid of the stones, but lots more has come to the surfact this year, and I've just given up. He does seem to go after far fewer stones now, but it's still a worry.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users