Poorly Dandelion

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

Oh Im soooo very worried, poor little Dandelion has been a bit lethargic for 2 days now. I just put it down to her being a little miffed at being brought back in due to the bad weather.
:'(
I did the weekly (well after checking my diary realised its been a fortnight) weigh and measure to realise she has lost a lot of weight over this period.
According to the Jackson Ratio Dandelion is half the weight she should be. Burdock is just below the line, but has been since getting him.
I did a quick dash to the vet, who has checked them both over. Burdock is well and thriving but poor little Dandelion is not so good.
Her shell is a little soft as well as having worms. :-(
He has given her an antibiotic injection and suggests if there is no improvement with her in 3-5 days to take her back for another one.
He has given be Baytril for her water and some Panacur paste in a syringe.
I was so distraught I forgot to ask the vet if the two of them need to be separated or not????????????
She is fed mainly dandelions as these are her favourite along with a mixture from Tladys mix. Is there anything I can give her which will build her weight back up??? Not sure if one weed can be more fattening than the other... Worth asking though... I will try anything.
As yet she doesnt have a UV bulb as since having them they have spent some if not all of the day outside receiving sunshine.
I am looking through the internet trying to find which UV bulb will be best as I am going to be keeping her in under my watchful eye for a while.
Any suggestions?
Any advice I can get will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks for listening to me ramble.
Samantha
x
ps the white on dandelions shell is only limestone she had just dived into x

#2 Guest_BUDHA_*

Guest_BUDHA_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hi Samantha good on you getting them to the vets asap!! I so hope that Dandelion gets better soon. I am sure that with the medication and lots of TLC she will be lots better soon!! lol Kerry Zippy & Bungle xxx

#3 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thank you Kerry

Had a scary night with her, its a bit touch and go at the moment.
:'(
Struggling to get her to open her mouth for the Panacur as shes off her food as well at the moment. Im thinking of taking her to the vet every day to do it for me. I just dont want to stress her out by keep trying.
Shes still drinking, which is a good thing as the Baytril is being put in her water.
AAAgggghhhh its pretty worrying. I'll keep you updated.

X Samantha

#4 Guest_lou lou_*

Guest_lou lou_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hi Samantha,
Is it possible to put the Panacur on her food if you cant get her to open her mouth?
Hope everything will turn out ok.

#5 Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*

Guest_LuvMyTortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Dandelion :(

You are doing all you can for her,,,she's lucky to have you.

I'm still somewhat new to all this,,,just want you to know I'm thinking of you and Dandelion.

~~Lorrie :)

#6 Guest_BUDHA_*

Guest_BUDHA_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Hi Samantha hope all ok!! When i had to give mine the panacur with a dropper i just held the dropper to their mouth and eventually they opened up and i managed to drop the medicine in it may take a few minutes but is worth a try!! lol Kerry Zippy & Bungle xxx I know how much they worry us but hang in there and she will turn the corner!!

#7 Guest_nickyt_*

Guest_nickyt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

Hi samantha,
i really feel for you,the only thing sheldon really loves is mimmula flowers and they are a good shape for putting medicine inside. Please keep us up to date on progress and i wish you all the best.
Do you still need a site for a heat/uv lamp,if so let me know as i got a combined one from a great place but i need to look up the name and they are very reasonable.

nicky

#8 Guest_taffytasha66_*

Guest_taffytasha66_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hi Samantha

Sorry to hear that Dandelion is not well.
I am new to the forum and it is encouraging that there are so many people out there willing to give their advice.

I have two tortoises, Myfanwy and Rafa (Myfanwy has been with me since November and I took in Rafa last month). I took them to the vets yesterday for a checkup. I was a little worried about Rafa as he is so light and has been off his food. The vet said that his shell was a bit springy and he did not push against the vet when he looked at his arms and legs. The vet is now having to take x-rays and bloods from him. This is worrying, but i hope that the vet will be able to sort out the problem soon. Rafa is a really cheeky tortoise, who loves climbing and is very nosey and i love him to bits already!

Good luck with Dandelion

Tasha

#9 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

Thank you all xxx Its been heartwarming to know you are all out there...
I finally got Dandelion to take some Panacur off some Opuntia Cactus tonight... What a relief... She has ignored all of her favourites so far.
She seems to be drinking plenty this evening - good news as the Baytril is administered in this.
She hasnt been munching on her cuttlefish for days so I scraped it into a little mound and she licked it up wholeheartedly thank God.
I have mixed her limestone and Nutrobal 5:1 and sprinkled via a salt cellar on to food placed out for her.
Buggerlugs Burdock has had to be moved out of her way for a while as he keeps going and sitting on top of her food and trying to climb all over her instead of around her to get to anything!!!
As for the Panacur, it is in paste form and everytime I try to place it directly in her mouth it ends up all over her nose so she quickly runs to her water for a bath... All these things would be funny if they were not so critical that she gets them...
I have had her out in the sun for only half an hour today and have an arcadia compact uvb on order for quick delivery.
I just really wonder as to how she can have a calcium deficiency when she has limestone flour,cuttlefish (the noise echoes through the house when she is munching on this, lol) and dandelions every day accompanied by sunlight (anything from 1/2 hour a day upto the whole day) and Nutrobal every other day. The exact same as Burdock who is thriving.
Soz, actually he has never, or not to my knowledge ever touched the cuttlefish.
HHMMM strange that her intake is more than his but he is thriving and she is sadly suffering.........

:)
Well another sleepless night to get through - Poorly Dandelion to worry about, 19 yr old Steven serving in Afghanistan, 15 yr old Ryan away with cadets for the weekend, 2yr old Dainton with tonsellitis and 5 week old Ellie with colic.
Give me torts any day over kids ... LOL
Night all
xxxxx
Sam

#10 Guest_ian130366_*

Guest_ian130366_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:12 AM

Hi Sammijo,

I dont think your feeding regeim or lighting is the problem they sound great, I think the worms are the problem, as for getting their mouths open I find tickling their chin then getting them to try to bite your finger works, then when they open their mouth WHAM! stuff that paste in!
try not to worry they are hardy but stubborn littls sods!

Regards

#11 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hi Sam,

So sorry to hear about little dandelion. When I have to give panacur I put it on a thin slice of cucumber and hand feed it (or you could make a little panacur sandwich out of her favourite weed/flower and hand feed that too.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Hi Sam

sorry to hear of your worries with Dandelion. I don't think there is any quick way to build up the weight, hopefully when he gets his appetite back he will feed well on the usual weeds and you should see a gradual weight increase.

From my limited knowledge this doesn't sound like calcium deficiency. Thats quite a lot of medication with the panacur, baytrill and antibiotic injection as well.

The only suggestion I can make is to make sure Dandelion is warm enough day and night through this tricky time. I would only take this tort outside if its really nice and warm and sunny, and just for a short time.

You might ask the vet to show you how they open the jaw for medication. Its not nice but when you know how it can save extra trips ot the vet.

#13 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Many thanks for all the advice and concern :)
I would of probably lost my marbles this last week without it. lol.
Dandelion is now gaining weight and eating well.
She even bit Burdocks tongue fighting over the last leaf a couple of days ago (the swelling has now gone down and he can eat again)
Thanks again to everyone
x
Samantha, Dandelion and Burdock:7

#14 Guest_BUDHA_*

Guest_BUDHA_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hi Samantha glad to hear things are looking up and that Dandelion has turned the corner!! lol Kerry Zippy & Bungle xxx

#15 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi Samantha. That's great to hear that Dandelion is getting better! Keep us posted on her progress.

Nina

#16 Guest_victor22_*

Guest_victor22_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

My vet put the worming medicine direct into the stomach. Mind, when your tortoise does a poo after being wormed, the poo will be completely infested, so you want to get rid of it quickly as you don't want them getting into the bedding and starting the cycle all over again. It's probaby best to change the bedding quite frequently for a few weeks.

#17 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

That's a good point, Lin. When I worm Boris, I keep him on newspaper for a week or two afterwards so that I can change it daily (not a nice substrate for torts, but it's only for a short time).

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users