Stolen Tortoises in Hampshire

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chelsea1_*

Guest_Chelsea1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hello

I wanted to ask for help in finding my stolen tortoises. The most cruelest person has taken our four precious tortoises from our garden on 06/07/07, we live in Liss in Hampshire. Description of my tortoises (all are micro chipped):

Fred is a Hermann's, she has lived with us for over twenty five years and was a fully grown female when we got her. She has substantial shell damage caused by someone digging her up and also drilling a tether hole in her shell (previous owner).

Charlie and Moses are brothers and are Hermann's. We purchased them from a brilliant breeder in 2000 and they are ten years old.

George came to live with us only two months ago, he is about thirty years old. Not quite sure of his breed but think he may be a gracea s? something (I am still researching). He is a very neat little boy, his "humps" are smoother than a Hermann's and he is brown/black in colour.

I am afraid that I do not have any pictures to post, if we do have any they will not have been taken on a digital camera.

So far I have done the following:

1 I have informed the Police (intially the call centre decided that I did not even warrant a phone call from a Police Officer, until I shouted and cried on the phone at them).

2 Have got in touch with the National Theft Register

3 Have reported them missing to the relevant chipping companies

4 I have spoken and or visited local pet shops both selling exotics and "normal pets" and have left cards with contact details, the local vets and anywhere else I can think of putting a poster or card.

5 I have spoken to the local radio station (Delta Radio) who kindly put out a news item for me for a day.

6 The Police arranged for item to go into local newspapers.

7 I will be putting in a advert in the Portsmouth News in their lost and found column which has a higher readership than our more local papers.

And finally (so far) have found out about tortoise forums and websites which I did not know existed until last week and and now I am trying to gain all the knowledge I can get so that if and my god hopefully when I get my little guys back I will gain a greater knowledge of them so this does not happen to my family ever again.

I believe that some gardeners who called at our home on 04/07/07, stole our tortoises. They called about a month ago, asking my Mum if she wanted the grass cut (I admit it was too long, there is only me looking after garden and it is a bit much). So she had the front garden cut. On 04/07/07 they called again, as she had used them previously she felt that it would be OK for them to cut the back grass as well. Two days later tortoises were stolen and we have no way of getting in touch with them. Before you judge us we do know we have made one hell of a mistake and if we could go back two weeks we would.

If anyone local to me are offered a tortoise or family of tortoises for sale (without the relevant paperwork)or have any information about them can you please get in touch. Also please get in touch if you have any ideas at all, that I have not already thought of.

Thank you for reading my very lenghty posting, as you can imagine I want to get as much information out there as I possibly can. My family have been left utterly devastated and we do not know what to do next.

Regards

Sara

:(

#2 Guest_sammijo_*

Guest_sammijo_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:37 AM

Gosh Sarah how devastating for you all.
Can I suggest instead of placing an advert in the local paper that you speak to a reporter and ask them to run a story for you.
I work for a newspaper and know how costly an advert can be, and to be honest the best response comes from the stories that are run and not the advertising.
As an accountant for a newspaper group I really shouldnt say that but the advertising is only there to pay everybodys wages. Anyway back to the important issue... I am off work for another fortnight and am bored to tears, Ellie (2 month old (human baby)) has yet another chest infection and I dare not go to sleep so spend hours upon hours on the internet researching anything and anything. I have already spent 2 hours tonight looking at all the tortoises for sale all over the country. Sad but true, I'm not looking for anymore, just boredom.
I dont think anyone would be daft enough to advertise stolen tortoises for sale on the internet but I will look out for them.
If you can give descriptions of the gardeners to your local reporter I am sure they will run the story for you, as much for your sake as well as others that might succumb to them.
Good luck for a safe return, keep us updated,
Kind regards, Samantha

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:25 AM

Hi Sara

so sorry to hear baout your torts, i saw the advert in the portsmouth news. If you follow the link below my name and go to contacts, email or phone dawn and ask her to put it on our website as well :(

#4 Guest_pixiemoon_*

Guest_pixiemoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

This makes me so mad!
Those evil swines have no clue they practically stole members of your family!They will have no clue or even care how to look after them!Lets send a thousand bad wishes to those'gardners'and a thousand good ones to you and your missing friends Sara.
Im hoping the best for you.dont give up!Maybe try a few posters on the high street in shop windows?

#5 Guest_Chelsea1_*

Guest_Chelsea1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hello Pixie Moon

I admit your posting made me cry but in a good way. Thank you for sending your lovely wishes to me and my torts and believe me these last few days I have wished a few thousand bad wishes on the kidnappers. Myself and a colleague have just designed a poster so I will be doing a bigger mailing list to vets etc as well as shop windows where I can.

Regards

Sara

#6 Guest_Caroline McI_*

Guest_Caroline McI_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

This makes me so mad!
Those evil swines have no clue they practically stole members of your family!They will have no clue or even care how to look after them!Lets send a thousand bad wishes to those'gardners'and a thousand good ones to you and your missing friends Sara.
Im hoping the best for you.dont give up!Maybe try a few posters on the high street in shop windows?

I echo that, evil pigs !! Hope your babies get returned happy and healthy to you as soon as possible, and those responsible have something bad happen to them.....

So unfair.

#7 Guest_Chelsea1_*

Guest_Chelsea1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

Jade

Thank you for your advice, I have sent an e-mail to Dawn in the hope that she will post it for me and have also asked if she will consider me for membership. It is good to hear of a local group to me, I need all the local publicity I can get. Do you know when the Portsmouth News published something about our theft, I have not found anything when I have flicked through the paper?

Regards

Sara

#8 Guest_Chelsea1_*

Guest_Chelsea1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Samantha

Thank you for your lovely response. One local paper has featured an article last week but unfortunately they got the information sooo wrong! I am sending them an e-mail with the correct facts in the hope that they will feature our story again, as well as that I am going to write an "open" letter for the paper (I hope that they will publish it) talking to the "kidnappers" asking them if they know what they have taken on in terms of tortoise husbandry. The other local paper (Petersfield Herald) will be featuring something next week as it was too short notice for this weeks edition.

I do hope that your "human" baby gets well soon, it is such a shame as she is so little that she has a nasty chest infection. I do appreciate that you will think of me whilst looking for tortoises for sale on the internet, I did not realise that this internet tortoise world existed to a few days ago.

Regards

Sara

#9 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

Oh Sara, how utterly horrible some people can be, I am sat typing this with tears streaming down my face, you must be absolutely devastated with the loss of your beautiful torts, I would be if the same happened to mine and I have only had them for just over a year.I really hope you get them back, and I wish the people that did this suffer for it,in one way or another. My thoughts are with you love, and just try to keep optimistic that they will be returned to you safe and well.

Many best wishes
Love Maz.

#10 Guest_agbrown_*

Guest_agbrown_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

hey sara i wish i could make a happy ending for you.hopefully enough people will hear of your plight and then that vital somebody will be able to realise that they know of your torts where abouts and report those responsible.we are all behind you best wishes.

#11 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

Hi Sara,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your stolen torts! I can only imagine how devastated you are, and I hope that all your efforts will result in your torts being recovered and the thieves punished (I know what I'd like to do with them. I'm a member of six UK tortoise forums (in addition to the one) -- Tortoise Trust, Tortoisefriends, Tortsmad, Shelled Warriors, Turtlesco, and Tortoise Protection Group, and I would be happy to cut and paste your original message onto those forums, in the hopes that someone might see your torts offered for sale. Or if you would like to draft a shorter or different message for me to post, just pm me and I'll be happy to do it.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#12 Guest_Chelsea1_*

Guest_Chelsea1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Nina

Thank you for your offer, it would be great if you could help me. I am trying to log into all the relevant websites and that takes time, setting up usernames etc if you already have a headstart and could get information on their more quickly that would be great.

First question - how do I pm? This is the first forum I have logged into. Help!

Regards

Sara

#13 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

on the little icons under your name on the left handside, if you hover your mouse over them one will say profiel, another private message, another email and cant remember the other one or two.

basically if for example you want to private message nina then choose the private message button on ninas post :(

#14 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

I've added your post to this site Sara, here's the link for you to keep a watch on http://www.askyourne...id=0&qid=105262 hope it helps;-)

#15 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Sara is there a mobile number people can contact you on, that we can post with the ads?

#16 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

Hi Sara

i dont know what goes through some peoples' heads sometimes! What absolutely HORRIBLE people. How would they feel if someone they trusted came into their house and stole their children?

I know its no consolation but what goes around comes around and i hope these disgusting people get their comeuppance i really do!

How on earth do they expect to care for your torts? And how on earth do they expect to sell such an old tortoise with such extensive shell damage!? I know i would want some documentation if someone tried to sell me a tortoise who had obviously had a hard life. I have absolute faith that any considerate tortoise owner they try to sell your torts to will report these people.

Can the chipping companies not track these torts down? I live in Hampshire but im not quite sure where Liss is? Is it anywhere near Farnborough? Are you able to give us some description of what these "gardeners" looked like?

#17 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

pretty sure liss is east hampshire, its right in the middle between portsmouth and farnborough, so maybe about 45mins from you :(

#18 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

Don,t forget Gumtree the free advertising forum they have sites all over and have a lot of dodgy characters advertising animals etc might be worth putting a notice on there they often have torts for sale.

#19 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

Any news on the tortoises Sara?

#20 Guest_Chelsea1_*

Guest_Chelsea1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hello

Sadly no news at all as yet, but will keep you posted.

Regards

Sara

:'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users