WORMS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

Help! Got albert almost 1 yr ago - he was wormed before I got him form Carlisle Tortoises and have wormed him 6 monthly - including 3 weeks ago. Got Grace his little friend from the same place. Albert is about 7 cm long and 92g, and the last 2 weeks he has been very sleepy and off his food.

Today he passed a 6.5 cm thin worm, still wiggling, following his bath - and on inspection of the poo he had done in the bath there were quite a few tiny white fine worms in the stool. I am mortified - is it something Ive done? should I have done something different - have I really missed this for a while? I am a trainee doctor - so I would like to think I have some nouse about me!

I rang the emergancy vet and he said just see my proper vet tomorrow - for repeat worming - but would really like to hear your views on this and whether this has happened to anyone else.

Jillian xxx

#2 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-07-07 AT 06:28 PM (GMT)]there have been a lot of carlisle tortoise deaths recently, worms are nothing compaired to that. i dont think its a real problem, just needs a wormer

#3 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

thats good news - is it likely to do any long term harm? Has albert been brewing this up for a year? if so why ahsnt the 2 worm treatments killed it? J xxx

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well done Andrew, nothing like giving a new owner confidence!!!!!

#5 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Sometimes worms are very difficult to get rid of, and a light load of worms is nothing to worry about (in fact my vet says that there is some evidence that a very light load of worms is actually beneficial to the tortoise). However, if you are seeing worms in the poo then it means that your tort is carrying a very heavy load of worms. When you wormed him before, did you give a second round of repeat doses (or a second single dose if he was tube-fed the panacur)? Panacur only kills the worms, not the eggs, so you do need to do a second dose ten days after the first dose. Having said all that, my horsfield seems to get repeat light to medium loads of oxyurid worms no matter what I do. I think the problem is that they are incredibly easy to re-infect (either they eat their own poo and ingest the worm eggs that way, or when they poo, some of the worm eggs end up on the substrate and they get re-infected if their food touches the substrate and picks up the worm eggs).

Nina

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#6 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

thanks nina - both tortoises were both tube fed a single dose of panacur with no repeat dosing every 6 months - although I will request a second followup dose this time around.

thats why I like this forum - although allthe books say get your tortoise wormed - no source I have seen states the regime you should follow,

If there are any vets on the forum, in human medicine we do a lot of evidence based practice - is there any resources for evidence based vetinary medicine?

Jill xxx

#7 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

Also - has anyone else ever seen a worm the length of their tortoise come out from its bottom? its still alive - I put it in a clean contact lens container for the vet to hopefully identify - its properly snaking around in there. i hate it. xxx

#8 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:39 PM

I believe there are 2 main types of worm, one is small and thin and prob only a cm long and the other is like the one you described. As far as i know both treatable with panaucr :D

As Nina said you will need to give 2 doses to kill the worm as you cannot kill the egg so you need to get to the next lot of worm before they have a chance to lay.

I rehomed several spurs a few months ago who were riddled with worms and it actually took 3 doses. after the first dose i was seeing live ones still coming out and after the 2nd only a couple of live oes so had to go for the third dose :D they are all fine and dandy now :D and so will urs

#9 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for all your help guys - this forum is lovely when it comes to helping each other out - hope in future I will be able to help others! in the mean time ill stick to my speciality - human medical conditions! Jill xxx

#10 Guest_zenbird_*

Guest_zenbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

I read recently that pumpkin is a natural wormer.

Just remove seeds and offer to the torts.

Of course, you cannot buy fresh pumpkin this time of year, but some people may have it in their freezer.

Apparently it's very effective.

#11 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

I hvae also heard this, although don't feed too often :D

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

I read recently that pumpkin is a natural wormer.

Just remove seeds and offer to the torts.

Of course, you cannot buy fresh pumpkin this time of year, but some people may have it in their freezer.

Apparently it's very effective.

Hi,

Yes, many do say that pumpkin is a natural wormer. It has a very high content of mannitol, which is a natural wormer (but I don't know that it would be as effective as panacur against a heavy load of worms). Lots of people do give fresh pumpkin, though, when it's in season, and it's a good idea to give extra calcium with it. Pumpkin is also good for tortoises with kidney problems, as it flushes debris out of the kidneys, but because it promotes urination, you should be careful not to feed it if your tortoise is dehydrated.

Nina

Nina

Nina

#13 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

well a little update for your information and comments

Took to the vet on monday - they didnt seem to think this was anything too bad(!!) by this time albert had produced a second very long worm and grace had produced one worm. she did this right on the vet - which was beautiful timing.

The vet gave a dose of panacur via a stomach tube and she said that would count as the second dose. I am to submit a faecal sample in 2 weeks and the vet will decide what to do from there.

Jillian
xxx

#14 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

You can get different types of panacur. soem people use the paste you put on food, i use the stomach tubing method with the liquid panacur and you still have to repeat after 10 days - 2wks. Is the vet saying that because its a stomach dose its counted as a second dose? I would take a faeces sample back after about 10 days so then if more treatment is needed you can get it before the worm has a chance to lay again :D hope this helps

#15 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

great jadums - that kinda goes with my medical inclination too. will do just that. xxx

#16 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hi Jillian,

What's the situation with the worms now? Hope both torts are clear.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users