- - - - -

sleeping a lot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

My 2 babies are tending to eat and sleep. I have tried to put them outdoors as soon as we have sunshine. I have been keeping them indoors in their large area with lighting.
"T4" is 74mm long and weighs 76grams.He is 12 months old. "2" is 66mm long and weighs 62 grams and is 11 months old.
This morning, they have just picked at their dandelion leaves and gone back to bed.
Is this behaviour normal?:D

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hi Valerie can I just check these are Hermanns tortoises as 76g seems like a lot of weight to put on in one year for a Hermanns.

Tortoises do like their sleep but would be expected to have periods of activity as well. Can you tell us how many hours they sleep at night? Going outside would often stimulate them into activity if there are things for them to explore. I had a lot of fun watching my torts in a large old cardboard box with some bits of wood in it.

A low temperature would encourage your torts to settle down and rest as well - is ther temperature right for them?

#3 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-07-07 AT 05:56 PM (GMT)]When I got them at 1 month old, they weighed 20 and 14 grams. I got the Jackson ratio graph and measure them regularly against that. They are underweight if anything for their size according to that. That was what was concerning me.They are definately Hermanns judging by everyone elses pics.During the winter, they have been very active in the daytime, indoors. The room they are in is warm. It's the office where I have my computer.
I put them out in the sun today and they both went off like rockets!!
I used a huge mesh lid to keep them in check when I couldn't keep an eye on them. After about 5 hours of searching, eating and trying to climb, they both went into a shady bit to sleep. Inside, they tend to sleep from about 7pm to 8am. Their inside pen is 1.3M x 0.75M. It's warm as the heating comes on when we feel a bit nippy.
I also have a 20w uvb light and 60w warmth light coming on and off at 3hr intervals during the day.
We do seem to feed them a lot compared with other people. About 3-4 dandelion leaves and dandelion flowers. Their shells are lovely and smooth.
Would appreciate any advice.

#4 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

Hi

Im under the understanding that lighting should be simulated for 12hrs of the day not 3hr intervals. Someone will clarify this but i think im right.

El:7 :7

#5 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

Val, these torts are extremely large for 1 year olds. If their shells are indeed smooth i am wondering if they are really the age you think they are.

Both the UV and heat lamp need to be on 10-12 hours a day with no such intervals.

#6 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:01 AM

I do the lamp for 3 hours at a time because of reading somewhere that this is a precaution in case they flip over. However, we have put soil/sand mix in that area so I will put both on for 12 hours a day.
As for size, again, I mention the graph and we did collect them last year when they were so tiny! from a reputable breeder and we have the certification. I wish I could upload some photos. help - I'm getting worried now!

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hi Valery your torts are almost certainly a lot older than you think, especially if their length is the right proportion to their weight. Sound more like three years olds to me but others know better.

If you can get them outside as much as possible during the decent weather they will benefit a lot. It doesn't have to be sunny just a reasonably warm day.

Dandellions are a very good food for Hermanns but a bit of variety is also good. Try the occasional clover meal, plantain leaf, mallow leaves and flowers and a heap of others are all good.

#8 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

Got the variety food and the lamp is on indoors for 12 hours. I've had them out today and after about 3 hours - asleep in a corner!
The torts were the size of a 50p piece when we got them. We were told they were a couple of months old.
Can I send you some pics?

#9 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

yu can post pics on here they just have to be below a certain size :D

wots probably happened is they have just been a bit piggy. my one yr old is 34g, he is averagin on 2g per month weight gain. try only feeding enough food daily to cover the shell (not counting any food they graze on outside) and have one starve day per week. do they have bumps or are they smooth and starting to dome?

#10 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

their shells are lovely and smooth and not highly domed and they do eat a lot. certainly more than their shell cover and on a daily basis! I have tried to post pics to the site but nothing happens. There was instructions once, but I can't find them.
This is what it says when I try:-
SCRIPT ERROR!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was an error in processing your request.
Following is the error message:
System Message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please notify the administrator of this site.
Thank you.

#11 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-08-07 AT 07:25 PM (GMT)]Hi Val

What you need to do with the pictures is go into browse like normal pick your folder that your photos are on ( i use adobe photo shop).

Next i right click on a picture and i will go to edit, a page comes up where you can go to 'attribues ' here click on 'stetch/skew'

This is where you reduce the size of the image , this one below i just reduced to 40%.

Sounds confusing but thats what i have to do.
Depends what you are using for the images.

Hope this helps.

El;)

Ps. the second one i left normal. I think some of them differ from others.

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Well it just goes to show how enormously they vary in their growth rates, I have a tort that is 2 and a half years old and he is 32g. Don't remember the length but its right for the weight and this tort is healthy and he has mnore apetite than the others.

#13 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

Ah but....Every animal my hubby and I look after gets fat! This is because they only have to look at him and he gives them a ##### bit. He swears that the torts look pleadingly at him! Should I start cutting down the food is what I am wondering? I am going to try and post the photos tonight.

#14 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

its dangerous and unfair to let any animal get over weight. So you should tell your naughty hubby that hes doing more harm than good. I think we should see the photos before commenting on the diet

#15 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

I have tried to post a photo.of my biggest tort - T4
I don't think it's worked.
Would anybody mend if I send these 2 photos direct for them to either comment on, or upload?
Help!!!!!

#16 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

I have tried to post a photo.of my biggest tort - T4
I don't think it's worked.
Would anybody mend if I send these 2 photos direct for them to either comment on, or upload?
Help!!!!!

Hi valery you can send them to me if you like ill give it a go.!!!!

El:7

#17 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:17 AM

Thanks Ellie! Now guys, what should I do? I have them in their outside pen and everytime my shadow falls over it - they look to me for food! I have given them the amount that covers their shell daily.
Sometimes I put them on our lawn and I can see them weeding it for us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users