• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-08-07 AT 09:42 PM (GMT)]Hi

We're new here (me and my tort Dean)

Dean's 3 and we keep him in a vivarium (we've not got anywhere to put him outside at the moment). We let him sprint round the lounge in the evenings which he seems to love - esp the hiding part - when we're trying to figure out where he's gone!! ;-)

***edit - oh heck...Viv's aren't good :-( :-( ***

We've got a UV lamp on 12 hours a day, a heat mat, and put his heat lamp on in the evenings so he can sunbathe.

For the past week Dean seems really reluctant to get out of bed. When we get him up he seems fine and is eating plenty and happily wanders around as normal...it's just that he wont get up himself (is he a teenager?!?)

I wondered if it's anything to do with the weather but does that contribute if he's inside?

Do you think I have anything to worry about or is it just a phase?

Many thanks

~ Claire

#2 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

Hi Brer

Yeah you are correct vivs are bad things for torts.

Everyone seems to be sold a viv with there tort these days. Wish there was some way pet shops can be told. Just their way of making more money out of you.

If you explore this forum it is easier than me telling you about the advantages and disadvantages of housing and what environmental mangment you should have.

Most people have tort tables and an outdoor enclosure.
Basking lamp on for around 12 hours aswell as the uv light.

Maybe he isnt getting out of bed because of this. My tort is up not long after he feels the warmth. Guess its just like trying to simulate the day temp and light.

Hope this helps.... Others will give advice too.

ellie :7

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hi Claire

welcome to the site :D

yeah get him out the viv asap. get rid of the heat mat as well. torts can burn themselves on these and its really not necessary. the heat lamp needs to be on the same 12hrs (during the day) that the uv light is on. they work together, if the heat light is off the tort wont absorb the uv effectivley.

viv are bad for health because of humidity and also becuase there is no escape from the heat.

you really need to be getting him outside as much as possible to absorb natural uv. to encourage eating try bathing in warm baths sevral times a week. this stimulates the metabolism :D

what is he eating at the mo?

hope this helps :D

#4 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure how I am going to get him outside at the moment :-( but it's certainly something to work on. I'll put the heat lamp on more - is it safe to put it on so long if he's in a viv though? He's got a shelter in there that he sleeps in so he can get out of the rays but I worry about him getting too hot. The mat isn't inside the tank it's on the back wall (on the outside). He's eating veg, weeds and flowers at the moment but I'll revise this too after reading some more of this site. I'll also try givnig him a bath more often. He seemed to be happy in the viv for the past 2 years but maybe he wasn't :-(

I feel really bad...I hope he's ok :'(

~ Claire

#5 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Hi

About edible plants and weeds.... I used www.sdturtle.org and on here i printed off the plants that can poison, they are all in alphabetical order and give you symptons if they comsume them. It also gives you what parts off the plant they can eat. This website was set up by the san diego turtle and tortoise society.

Im not sure if this is where i got the jacksons ratio chart too to keep an eye on his weight gain.

With regards to the outdoor pen. Come up with a part of your garden that is south facing and design a pen for there. Meanwhile you could just knock something up to do while you do this. I made a rectangular frame out of old pallet wood and created a dome over the top out of chicken wire. This was no where near satisfactory while i was out but was good enough while i was round the house. Now he gos out in the pic i have provided.

The lamp will be ok in only one end of the viv until you get him out of there.

el:D

#6 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

With regards to the outdoor pen. Come up with a part of your garden that is south facing and design a pen for there.

this is the problem - I've not got a garden :-(

#7 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-08-07 AT 02:04 PM (GMT)]Ok...I've been reading and looking around the Internet...

I'm not really able to put him outside completely because -

#1. we've only got a small concrete yard
#2. the dog wont be impressed

So would the next best thing to be to lose the viv and sort a table top out? I see on eBay there's some "Starter Kits" -

[a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-TORTOISE-TABLE-Vivarium-House_W0QQitemZ170136640574QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Kit 1[/a]

[a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vivarium-tortoise-table-starter-kit-house_W0QQitemZ330152497265QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Kit 2[/a]

[a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-TORTOISE-HOUSE_W0QQitemZ260145975185QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Kit 3[/a]

would any of these be better for him??

****EDITED***

I just wanted to ask about this one too - if I were to get one like this (with wheels) could I keep him outside in it during the day then bring it in at nightime?

[a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-Tortoise-Table-Size-2_W0QQitemZ280122607882QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1285QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]Best of Both Worlds???[/a]

MANY thanks

~ Claire

#8 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

Hi Claire! All of these enclosures are very expensive!!

The cost of putting together those kits is probably around 20 TOPS.

Is there no one that can make you an enclosure? It really is basic DIY!!

The fact you dont have an outside area is quite a problem, as you cant expect him to stay inside for the rest of his life - so with regards to that then the one with the wheels would be best but this is 100!!! Obviously its entirely up to you but i dont htink i could part with that kind of money :7

#9 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

:-)

I've been and bought the wood to make him a table

~ Claire

#10 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

well done Claire be sure to post a pic of the finished piece!!

#11 Guest_mrstmum_*

Guest_mrstmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

mrstmum

Hi, my girl was in a viv and I took the advice I was given and now have a safe 2m X 1m enclosure in the garden but Mrs T is not happy and all she wants to do is sleep too.

What a worry they are, that's for sure.

#12 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

is hse warm enough outside? you may want to warm her up for a while inside or get lights outside to warm her up in the morning.

yeah as tortgal said these are expensive. underbed storage untis or bookshelves on their backs are very good. i got mine from free ads for a tenner. it costs 25 for the same one from arogs :D

#13 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

I,m sorry to be negative but at some point your tort will have to go outside even if its just because he,s got to big, these animals are designed to be outside they travel long distances in the wild and need this excersise to balance their growth exspecially as we usually feed them the best so if they can,t get the excersise then they will get fat which in most torts cases is pyramiding, they need the natural light even on a dull or rainy day there is enough UV for them, they need the temp variations, they are not designed to be indoors animals as babies its not to bad as they are small and a reasonable sized table can be made but depending on the breed they do grow, my spurs weigh about 5 lbs each and are sizable animals my male is 12yrs, theres no way I could have them in the house unless I had a whole spare room for them even that wouldn,t be ideal, so unless you are thinking of moving at some point you are going to have no choice but to get them outside or rehome them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users