question on worm treatment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Do you have to take a tortoise to the vets to be wormed or can you buy something over the counter?

Thanks

~ Claire

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

Its best to take it to the vet. You can get panacur paste and liquid. I use the liquid because thats the one my torts have always been given. I think paste is harder to measure out for the torts weight but I may be wrong.

I started to worm my torts this yr myself but the vet showed me and its only becuase I have so many and at 10 a go.. However if I had a couple I would let the vet do it cos I hate doing it. You basically have to stick a tube down the throat and if it goes the wrong way you hit the lung (hard to do but still possible) :(

so my advise is go to the vet :(

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

Hello Claire
Tortoise can and do live with worms it is when it becomes an infestation it's a problem, e.g. if you see them in their poo or they vomit them up, my advice is to get the poo checked out at the vets to see if there is an overload and if the answer is yes you can worm them yourself with Panacur twice a year, but the vet can also give them a drug called system X which is tubed into their stomachs and lasts 12 months, this way is a good way if you have difiulty in getting your tortoise to take Panacur.
I'll try to get a dosage chart for you
Arnie

#4 Guest_brer_*

Guest_brer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

ok thank you...I cannot see anything in his poo at the moment and he's not being sick...but a trip to the vet might be an idea or can you just take the poo to be checked?

~ Claire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users