Filing his beak

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shelly41_*

Guest_Shelly41_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi,
does anybody know what to use to file my torts beak with and how much to file it down by. Also, does it have to be filed or is there something else that would help. Thanks. Shelly41

#2 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hi

If i were you i would get the vet to show you. Think it can be quite tricky. They will show you how so next time you will be able to do it yourself maybe.!!

el:-)

#3 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

once its done try putting more things that will rasp it down naturally such as his food on a piece of slate, but if at the vet ask why its gotten so long as none of mine have ever had it done and my eldest is 35 so something must be causing it maybe the torts lacking in something, worth asking.

#4 Guest_Shelly41_*

Guest_Shelly41_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hi, thanks to everyone for your answers. Has anybody got a pic of the face of their tort - side view so I can see what is a normal length for a beak. Thanks

#5 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hi
I personally wouldn't try to file a tortoises beak it sounds a bit drastic, have you tried putting some cuttlefish in one piece in the enclosure,or putting the food on a slate so when he eats it helps to keep the beak in trim,I am sure someone else will come on with their ideas,and if not there is always the vet to go to for advice, make sure the vet knows about tortoises though,:)
many regards
maz

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

Cuttle fish hard surface to eat off, but first I would ask the vet to clip it for you
Arnie

#7 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hi, my Archie is inclined to get an overgrown beak and has to have it clipped at the vets, we feed her off of slate and she has cuttle fish which she likes eating (only in her outdoor enclosure though for some reason ??!??)

here is a pic of her after the vet had cut it (a bit wonky lol)

http://www.fatfecker...7463.JPG&var2=0

#8 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-08-07 AT 07:37 PM (GMT)]Bloody hell!!

That vet needs glasses. Poor thing. How is he supposed to pull the women looking like that.

el:7

Ps. Or the blokes rather.............:)

#9 Guest_Shelly41_*

Guest_Shelly41_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hi Hopperknob,

thanks for the pics, that really helps. Archie is so cute. Her little crooked beak at least makes her unique. I am going to try and get mine some cuttlefish and see if it helps to start and then if need be take him along for a trim!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users