eggs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

my dad is a builder and is working at someones house, and the people own a petshop and live on a farm.
thet have 4-5 female tortoises around 10 and are bigger than pip, and my dad thinks there is one smaller than pip.
they want pip to be the dad, will he breed with tortoises that are bigger than him or not?
also pip needs friends, so they will have to let me have some eggs if i want without paying cos i will be helping them by giving pip for a month, i want two girls.
i understand you have to put them in quaratine for 6 months, but will i have to keep the two baby girls away from each other as well as pip, so three seperate cages.
and my nan has gven me summer holiday money to spend, and i am buying a vivarium, cos the babys are only small and a buzzard might get them and i am sure all of you on this forum knows what it is like to have loss of something special.
please answer my questions if you can, i am not forcing you.

georgia
xxxxxxx

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hi Georgia

Usually boys will tned to go for the largest female but not always so. also is not a great idea to lend the tortoise out as it can cause stress and also spread disease. however, i suppose if pip is by himself anyway you have seen what he is like and if he has any illness that has shown. However, you do not know what the females are like and altogether they may show no signs of infecttions but when separated illnesses could show.

If you were to do this, you would want one of the females to be quarantined for at least 3-6mths before even considering putting pip with her.

also why would you separate the two baby girls? if they are incubated together and then live together they will be fine.

Also why are you getting a viv? all the info and advise on here has always said no to vivs. My babies are in a rabbit cage which i got for a tenner of ebay. When they are inside they are in this. it has a plastic base and wire top. when they are outside they are in an enclosure that is concreted underneath and has wire roof. no need for a viv at all :(

hope this answered your questions. :)

#3 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

thank you ever so much jade, but what i meant was do i keep the 2 girls in quaratine together, and next wednesday i am going to work with my dad so should i check out the torts, pip hasnt got any illness as far as i know, he is as happy as a bumble bee.

georgia
xxxxxxx

#4 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

what jade says is right if you "lend" your tort to these people you are running a big risk of him catching something also even if you have 2 eggs theres no saying for certain even if you incubate at the right temp that you will end up with female babies and then you would have to wait untill they were mature to say what sex they are, plus a lot of people including myself find that my male and female can,t live together because he won,t leave her alone so your tort wouldn,t have anymore company than he has now, so you would stand a good chance of having to keep them apart which means two set ups, the idea of breeding sounds nice but its a lot more involved than you think, I got sid for tootsie thinking they could live together but that hasn,t been the case and I have to keep them separate, sid has been with tootsie and I never had any sign of eggs the female can hold onto the sperm for years so theres no guantee that there would be any eggs, if you really want another tort then I,d go out and buy one but even if you do that you can,t put it with your tort untill next year now, personally unless you really want to breed I,d stick with the one you,ve got, you,d be looking at another 5 years plus before any baby was old enough and torts do very well on their own they rarely meet up in the wild except to mate and live solitary lives the rest of the time its just us that think they look lonely.

#5 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

one more thing but unless I,m wrong its going to be next year before eggs if any would be laid even if your male was interested I think the breeding season is between april and august, I also think that the people who own the females would potentially be on to a good thing as they don,t have the initial cost of either buying or keeping a male, without being funny it sounds to me like they saw you comming, think about it if they did have eggs and sold them through their petshop that would be a tidy amount for them to make, also they would need your torts Article 10 papers plus assuming that all of theirs have them in order to get papers for the babies, you have to have both parents to get these, your best bet if you want to breed is to find a female of breeding age and do it yourself, theres a lot to consider doing what your thinking about and the more you think about it the worse it gets for you and the better for them.

#6 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Can I just add a bit too.....?

The first things that came into my head when I read your thread Georgia, (asides from what Squirrelann has already said) was if they own petshops, why haven't they got any males themselves? Also, I wouldn't 'lend' my tort to anyone UNLESS I knew them very well, how do you know that you are gonna get your tort back? How do you know it is YOUR tort and that they haven't 'swapped' him? Call me suspisious but you can't trust anyone these days - you only need to look at previous threads to see that! The recent one in particular where the torts were stolen by the (ahem) trusted gardners to name but a few!!!!

Sorry just thought it needed to be mentioned, please think VERY carefully before going ahead with this, you've already mentioned how much he means to you.........

#7 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

Def. agree. Although females can potentially lay from as little as 3wks after mating, as squirrel ann said, the breeding season is prettu much over.

I really think you should forget about this idea and if you want more company for pip consider buying or rehoming 2+ females.

#8 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

there was one more thing I thought of which is unless you already have an incubater you are going to pay anything from 60 (if your lucky) upwards to buy one it has to be one that doesn,t turn the eggs because unlike birds eggs reptile eggs have to stay in the same position they were laid in which is why people mark them otherwise the baby tort can drown, so for a bit more money you could maybe find another tort the same age as yours or maybe if your really lucky be able to rehome one through one of the sites, I got both my adult spurs this way, sorry one more thing I don,t think you could put a tiny baby in with your male in case he tried to hurt it.

#9 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

thank you, i am not letting them borrow pip, where i got pip from i didnt pay one penny cos it was my dads close friend, they had 2 girls bigger than pip and they climbed over his shell,squashing him and turned him on his back and stole his bed.

georgia
xxxxxxx

#10 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hi Georgia pip is very lucky to have such a caring loving friend I,m sure he,ll be fine on his own, he probably wouldn,t want to have to share you with anyone else, poor little thing being squashed and bullied by the bigger girls i should think he,s glad he,s not with them anymore, but thats what I said he might do if you put a little one in with him and I was very dissapointed that sid and tootsie can,t live together I love them both and wouldn,t get rid of sid now but he does look lonely and keeps looking for tootsie but he won,t leave her alone when I put her in with him and she has to keep running away untill she gets so tired I have to rescue her and she goes straight to bed.

#11 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

that is funny, if they were together she might of got him back one day, and im sure you wouldnt like that, you have done the right thing

georgia
xxxxxxx

#12 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

I don't think anyone else pointed this out, but you would have to make sure they were the same species and sub-species of tortoise before allowing breeding attempts.

Peter
http://pets.groups.y...arginata-world/
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#13 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

good point, and my dad doesnt know what breed they are.

georgia
xxxxxxx

#14 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

this whole consept of "borrowing" torotises for breeding is just dangerous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users