white stuff

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_basil 26_*

Guest_basil 26_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

Hi..sometimes when i put sheldon in the sink for his bath...white stuff comes out..he opens his bowels and his otherwise healthy and very happy...can anyone think what this is and should i have him checked out?

#2 Guest_Val_*

Guest_Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

Hi Basil.
The white substance is urates. It's a perfectly normal product of protein metabolism, but if it's being passed more than a couple of times a week, it can indicate too much protein in the diet.
Urates should be anything from totally liquid, to about the same consistency as toothpaste. If they're hard or gritty when they're expelled, this indicates dehydration.

I must thank the Tortoise Trust since this is where I learned the myself about urates.

Cheers.

Val. :)

#3 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

Hi
Im with val 100%

el:D

#4 Guest_basil 26_*

Guest_basil 26_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hi Val..Its not passed weekly and im dont think its gritty..its always done in the bath..so i think the consistency is sometimes diluted from the water..He has fresh water daily ..and hes bathed most days..if he is dehydrated..why? he has mostly dandilion leaves and kale and water cress..and any other weeds i can get my hands on..he eats sedum from the garden..and hosta..and fresh clover..he loves that!
Its quite nerve wracking looking after the little chap..i worry nearly every day that im not doing something right..iv read and re read all the care sheets..and he has a brilliant way about him.He makes me smile everyday..:7

#5 Guest_Val_*

Guest_Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

Basil

You are obviously very careful and managing his health.
I wouldn’t worry just ensure there is available clean fresh water as I’m sure you already do.
I have only one Tort a female, she also expels urates particularly after some exercise (walking around the garden).
When bathing it is known this assists they toileting abilities and is why bathing prior to hibernation is essential as well as the fact it maintains a level of hydration and cleanliness.

Cheers,

Val.
:-)

#6 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

My little fellas pass urates in their water from time to time. usually it's quite liquid, but sometimes it does seem a little thicker. About the consitency of toothpaste is about as thick as it gets. Not that I've ever tried cleaning my teeth with it! So I can't be certain.:+

#7 Guest_basil 26_*

Guest_basil 26_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

..* giggles* ewwww

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users